Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
713 Posts
WOW 0-60mph in 1.9 seconds.

Tesla is the look of the future and single speed electric motors have instant torque. And Tesla, it looks like, is also diversifying into battery production; their batteries are a new an innovative step beyond even Lithium Ion. When the charging infrastructure is in place we will see an influx of electric and hydrogen cars. Autonomous is farther off, until decisions , primarily liability, can be made about which decision error causes the lesser damage.

However, I am not willing to give up a manual shifting car even though I indirectly and strongly embrace Hybrids ... just not for my primary driver or fun car. And Tesla no doubt is vert fast and the new cars are even faster, but so quiet and so sedate, maybe the need to talk to Ford engineers about adding FEN Ha Ha just kidding.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Tesla is the look of the future and single speed electric motors have instant torque. And Tesla, it looks like, is also diversifying into battery production; their batteries are a new an innovative step beyond even Lithium Ion. When the charging infrastructure is in place we will see an influx of electric and hydrogen cars. Autonomous is farther off, until decisions , primarily liability, can be made about which decision error causes the lesser damage.

However, I am not willing to give up a manual shifting car even though I indirectly and strongly embrace Hybrids ... just not for my primary driver or fun car. And Tesla no doubt is vert fast and the new cars are even faster, but so quiet and so sedate, maybe the need to talk to Ford engineers about adding FEN Ha Ha just kidding.
There will be zero accidents, "car created accidents".
?Everyone is in the autonomous car race? | Business Line

·
Registered
515 Posts
Giving them money right now is a bold move, especially for a car that you may not even see for a few years (if it all). Given how seemingly backed up they are with Model 3 productions, I just don't see where or how they will have the capacity to introduce even more models.

It's a nice concept for sure and will be fun to drive, but part of me wonders what the bigger groups will have out by the time this finally comes to life.

·
Banned
713 Posts
It all sounds great but he hasn't even delivered on the model 3 yet.
Around here (Houston, TX area) I see more and more and more Teslas. They are everywhere. However, very few RSs seen ( i think they are too fast to be captured with the naked eye LOL :D unless they are grazing at a gas station)

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
I've ridden along in a "Ludicrous" S model, that thing was ridiculously freaking fast, I sat in the back seat one trip and my friend kept making himself laugh by punching it when i wasn't paying attention and I was hitting my head against the back window.

That car was so fast I can't imagine something faster!

I <3 Tesla

·
Registered
1,243 Posts

What do you mean about the batteries? The S is literally run by a few thousand of those standard lipos (18650) combined into a battery pack.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I've ridden along in a "Ludicrous" S model, that thing was ridiculously freaking fast, I sat in the back seat one trip and my friend kept making himself laugh by punching it when i wasn't paying attention and I was hitting my head against the back window.

That car was so fast I can't imagine something faster!

I <3 Tesla
I've driven a Mac before MP4-12c. A couple of R35's, one modded. Then I drove a P90D. Fuk! Did a rolling start, probably 35mph, and went WFO, it's insanely fast. But heavy though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not 100% sold on Teslas yet. While they do some impressive things they are at the bottom of the list of reliable car manufacturers. The longevity of electric cars at this time also scares me. I just think of how fast things come in go in the tech market (phones, PCs, etc) and how fast those things become worthless. While cars aren't exactly the same the amount of tech packed into them is through the roof. Plus how much of a charge will these batteries hold after 5-10 years of use? I'll stick to gas powered cars until legislation and/or gas prices make them unviable.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I'm not 100% sold on Teslas yet. While they do some impressive things they are at the bottom of the list of reliable car manufacturers. The longevity of electric cars at this time also scares me. I just think of how fast things come in go in the tech market (phones, PCs, etc) and how fast those things become worthless. While cars aren't exactly the same the amount of tech packed into them is through the roof. Plus how much of a charge will these batteries hold after 5-10 years of use? I'll stick to gas powered cars until legislation and/or gas prices make them unviable.
The leafs have been largely bullet proof. I've had one for 41 months now and I read of lots of folks with a lot more miles than mine with zero issues.

Reliability stats are not simple. Head unit, gadgets, etc, can cause a model to drop to the bottom. With EV's the drivetrain and battery pack are what matters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The leafs have been largely bullet proof. I've had one for 41 months now and I read of lots of folks with a lot more miles than mine with zero issues.

Reliability stats are not simple. Head unit, gadgets, etc, can cause a model to drop to the bottom. With EV's the drivetrain and battery pack are what matters.
Look at the model 3 though. Literally everything is controlled by that center screen, there is virtually nothing else in the car. If that thing starts having issues, have fun with that. Not to mention no real key, all done through your phone (minus a hotel room key.) No thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look at the model 3 though. Literally everything is controlled by that center screen, there is virtually nothing else in the car. If that thing starts having issues, have fun with that. Not to mention no real key, all done through your phone (minus a hotel room key.) No thanks.
Which part of that bothers you? Most center screen functions can be controlled via the four-direction steering wheel dials.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Would you be buying it either way? I doubt it.

Change is hard for some folks.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
If I recall, there have been some follow-up studies on battery packs for things like Prius, Leaf, early Teslas and the charge capacity etc, left at the 10 year mark was well above what was projected/guaranteed. To the point that there was real surprise they had done that well. But I don't know/recall if that was a true broad based study or small sample set, etc.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
If I recall, there have been some follow-up studies on battery packs for things like Prius, Leaf, early Teslas and the charge capacity etc, left at the 10 year mark was well above what was projected/guaranteed. To the point that there was real surprise they had done that well. But I don't know/recall if that was a true broad based study or small sample set, etc.
You are absolutely right. And the data coming in is pretty amazing. Including fun surprises like using supercharging actually results in less loss of charge ability. Tesla Packs have about a 5% degradation in the first 50,000 Miles....but they only drop another 5% after the next 150,000 Miles. The research has been very transparent on this, and you can read a good article on it here:

https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/tesla-battery-degradation/

As far as that giant “iPad” interface being problematic....heck, it’s just a module, that can probably be changed out with very little hassle.

No Tesla fanboi. I love turning explosions into motive action. But you gotta give credit where it’s due.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If it can't go 500 plus miles on a charge reliably, I don't want it. And for those that will say, "you're car can't go 500 miles on a tank of gas." I say, yes you are correct, but I can fill mine up in a couple of minutes and keep going. Good luck doing that with your electric car....enjoy your nap at the plug.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
22 Participants
Imped
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing