Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to shake things up a bit and looking at a change of scenery. There’s just under a year to plan and receive input for moving the EB Takeover to The Snake on US 421.

The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride"

Add your input below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I want to shake things up a bit and looking at a change of scenery. There’s just under a year to plan and receive input for moving the EB Takeover to The Snake on US 421.

The Snake 421, "The Best of The Snake Motorcycle Ride"

Add your input below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is a good drive, and there are numerous good drives in that same area.

The challenge with the EB takeover in Sept is the weather unpredictability due to hurricane season and rain. October gets really busy so the Sept/Oct time frame can be an issue.

There are also some great drives in southeast WV, and southwest Virginia.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I thought you meant the portion of Mulholland Highway in California! Either way, I’d be interested. Weren’t we also discussing a possible spring EB takeover? Maybe we start a semiannual meet? Any reason to escape Illinois’s exciting roads...

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought you meant the portion of Mulholland Highway in California! Either way, I’d be interested. Weren’t we also discussing a possible spring EB takeover? Maybe we start a semiannual meet? Any reason to escape Illinois’s exciting roads...
@Vinnie13 so you're bored with the L? Have you tried Blackjack Road from Galena and Savanna? If you're up for a drive to WI, head to Highways 144 and 28 up around Sheboygan. The semi annual meet is possible just have to figure out when to make the run. (Late April or early May)

·
Super Moderator
16,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who all has done the US 421 run? Input on lodging, dining, and other sites in the area. Best time of the year to do the run?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
In general the bikers start to appear by the end of April in the area...ideally a run in the first 2-3 weeks of April would have lower traffic and leafing trees....a scenic ride.

There are also good roads in N Ga, around Suchess, Ga. It is about an hour south and east of the Dragon. Some low traffic back roads and a mix of driving types...not nearly as tight as Dragon but more challenging than BR pkwy.

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
Meh, GA roads not exciting in any kind of stretch from the many times in the area. There’s pretty much Blood Mountain, which isn’t very long, and average-at-best otherwise

Definitely not worth uprooting from the Dragon area for

/2-cents

·
Registered
870 Posts
I did about an hour of research this morning and settled on this place. The prices seem to be in line with Fontana and there's a variety of cabin sizes, but I don't see anything in the area as big as the Fontana Village complex.

Watauga Lake Cabin Rentals | Boone Vacation Rentals

·
Registered
138 Posts
That is a good drive, and there are numerous good drives in that same area.

The challenge with the EB takeover in Sept is the weather unpredictability due to hurricane season and rain. October gets really busy so the Sept/Oct time frame can be an issue.

There are also some great drives in southeast WV, and southwest Virginia.
Agree x 200. I live in southern WV and although it doesn't offer much, it does have some of the BEST driving roads

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are we trying to stay around the eastern US for a particular reason? quality of roads, convenience, weather?

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
The portion from the Ranger Station to Townsend (Little River Gorge road) is a very scenic drive and highly recommend but it is almost always heavily travelled and the speed limit is 30mph. It is on federal land so it is patrolled and speeding tickets are $250. Not trying to discourage it, but it isn't a road that you can carve corners nor drive aggressively...but it is relaxing and scenic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm from the Kingsport/Bristol area. Depending on the number of folks going, probably going to have to look in Johnson City, Bristol, or Boone NC for reasonable hotels. Also need to check App State football schedule as traffic picks up during home games and hotel rooms can become scarce. Haven't been on US 421 in a long time but definitely willing to go up that way.

·
Registered
870 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts