Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! This is my first ever post so please bare with me. So recently my 2017 Focus RS began to misfire for some reason. Purchased the car In May of 2017. The car has just hit over 27k miles and has brand new spark plugs and coils. Im using NGK spark plugs and MSD coils. I've taken the car apart multiple times swapping coils and spark plugs to see if its misfiring from one of those reasons. It's not. The mods done are very simple. I have a CPE cold air intake, Boomba racing BOV, and a simple muffler delete. The car is tuned by Works in Sonoma CA. I had the recall done about 1 year ago today (took them 1 month to give me the car back) and everything was completely fine after that until now. I know Ford updated the stock tune for emissions but it never did anything like this before. I've gotten a check engine light once before but swapped the coil and plugs when I saw it. Thought it would resolve the issue but I guess not. Im also getting a restricted air filter code which is weird because my filter is brand new. Ive re flashed the tune on the car and everything but cant figure it out. This usually only happens on cold starts and it will sound like the car is coughing. It struggles a little then leans out and puffs out smoke. I doubt the head gasket has gone again because my coolant levels seem to be fine. My auto start/stop feature hasn't worked in about a month or so as well. I let the car sit for about 10-15 days when the engine light came on because i was waiting for my parts to come in and I was on vacation away from it. The battery died but I charged it back up and here should be no reason for my auto start/stop to not work. If anyone can possibly explain why its doing this that would be very helpful.

Now on to the Lemon Law. My car has been into ford for hg recall, a leaking front diff seal, and a broken axle hub. Now I'm dealing with this misfire and the auto start/stop. My apple play usually freezes on me too and its frustrating. At this point I want Ford to buy back the car because it is my daily driver and I cant daily something thats having this many problems (yes i know its a ford...). Would I qualify for the Lemon Law at all for having all these problems or not?

Once again thanks for reading this I hope you can all help me out!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Try replacing the injectors. It's $145 and not to bad of a job to do yourself. It solved my misfire issue that wasn't fixed with plugs or coils. I also was running shell gas so now I switched to Exxon and am hoping the issue stays away.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Good luck. What codes are you getting, and why did you put MSD coils on the car? I'd try putting the stock ones back and see if that fixes the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to put the whole car back to stock and see what happens i'll update you once I do so. And I usually run Chevron 91 pump gas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped the coils because it was about time to get new ones and i read good reviews on them. Yes I know they can come defective too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
You would not be the first person to have issues with those coils. The general consensus when people hopped on them with the STs is that they were more trouble than they were worth, and I haven't seen anything change with the RS either. I would replace them with the stock ones and see what happens.

You are not going to get a lemon law for having a few miscellaneous issues, let alone one potentially caused by aftermarket parts. The very first thing Ford would have you do is replace the coils back to new OEM on your own dime if you tried to press the issue.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
As others have asked, what misfire code are you getting? I would do a clean slate and go completely back to stock (coils, plugs, intake, tune... everything) and see where that takes you. Take it to the dealer and have the HG recall done as soon as you can, at this point, they should have done a handful of these, so there should be no surprises. Also, just one less thing the dealer can point a finger to.

If the issue comes back, take it back and have them diagnose and see if can be warrantied.

You are not going to get a lemon law for having a few miscellaneous issues, let alone one potentially caused by aftermarket parts. The very first thing Ford would have you do is replace the coils back to new OEM on your own dime if you tried to press the issue.
^This. Ford won't do a buy back unless the car was stock and has consistently gone to the dealer for repair with out being resolved.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello everyone! This is my first ever post so please bare with me. So recently my 2017 Focus RS began to misfire for some reason. Purchased the car In May of 2017. The car has just hit over 27k miles and has brand new spark plugs and coils. Im using NGK spark plugs and MSD coils. I've taken the car apart multiple times swapping coils and spark plugs to see if its misfiring from one of those reasons. It's not. The mods done are very simple. I have a CPE cold air intake, Boomba racing BOV, and a simple muffler delete. The car is tuned by Works in Sonoma CA. I had the recall done about 1 year ago today (took them 1 month to give me the car back) and everything was completely fine after that until now. I know Ford updated the stock tune for emissions but it never did anything like this before. I've gotten a check engine light once before but swapped the coil and plugs when I saw it. Thought it would resolve the issue but I guess not. Im also getting a restricted air filter code which is weird because my filter is brand new. Ive re flashed the tune on the car and everything but cant figure it out. This usually only happens on cold starts and it will sound like the car is coughing. It struggles a little then leans out and puffs out smoke. I doubt the head gasket has gone again because my coolant levels seem to be fine. My auto start/stop feature hasn't worked in about a month or so as well. I let the car sit for about 10-15 days when the engine light came on because i was waiting for my parts to come in and I was on vacation away from it. The battery died but I charged it back up and here should be no reason for my auto start/stop to not work. If anyone can possibly explain why its doing this that would be very helpful.

Now on to the Lemon Law. My car has been into ford for hg recall, a leaking front diff seal, and a broken axle hub. Now I'm dealing with this misfire and the auto start/stop. My apple play usually freezes on me too and its frustrating. At this point I want Ford to buy back the car because it is my daily driver and I cant daily something thats having this many problems (yes i know its a ford...). Would I qualify for the Lemon Law at all for having all these problems or not?

Once again thanks for reading this I hope you can all help me out!
It is going to be very difficult to diagnose your vehicle because of how many modifications you have. It could be the tune, coils, spark plugs, or anything for that matter. I recently replaced my spark plugs and got a service engine light on. It turns out I forgot to plug the PCV on to the intake after reinstall during the spark plug replacement. It could literally be anything. If you could manage it, take the time to replace all of the aftermarket parts with the factory parts, put the factory tune back on, and data log. Another option would be to leave all of your aftermarket parts on, call a reputable and experienced tuner such as the guys at stratified, datalog and have them correct the tune.

I have also heard of people having issues post head gasket recall because the re installation of the head resulted in bad camshaft timing, leading to catastrophic failure. The main takeaway from my post is this:

- Because of your mods, it will be hard to diagnose.
- Because of how hard it will be to diagnose, it will be hard to prove Corporate Ford built a lemon, and your local Ford dealer sold you one.
- Despite whatever you may think, your mods may have directly or indirectly contributed to the way your car is running, REGARDLESS of the other issues you have had with the car.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the lemon law criteria. If it were me, I would leave the local Ford Dealer Service Department out of this and work with a reputable tuner. Call Stratified; they are very personable and have a lot of experience with the RS and ST. I have 100% confidence they will be able to sort this out for you. You will have to invest some money in a tune, however. But you will probably be much happier once you get your motor squared away and you can enjoy the car!

Reactions: Ysha7

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
If it were me, I would leave the local Ford Dealer Service Department out of this and work with a reputable tuner. Call Stratified; they are very personable and have a lot of experience with the RS and ST. I have 100% confidence they will be able to sort this out for you. You will have to invest some money in a tune, however. But you will probably be much happier once you get your motor squared away and you can enjoy the car!
Agreed, but unfortunately, it sounds like the OP is from around California if they've had Works work on their car, Stratified is all the way up in Canada. Works is a relatively decent tuner (I've worked with them in the past) although they do not specialize on our cars (mostly Subarus and Evos).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Agreed, but unfortunately, it sounds like the OP is from around California if they've had Works work on their car, Stratified is all the way up in Canada. Works is a relatively decent tuner (I've worked with them in the past) although they do not specialize on our cars (mostly Subarus and Evos).
Our guys out here in Hawaii have tuned through Stratified plenty of times. We email our logs to Alex (from Stratified) and he usually has a quick turnaround. They can even schedule a live tune where you dyno the vehicle at your local facility, data log, email your logs in between dyno pulls; Alex will usually send adjustments quickly and you can load them onto your access port, rinse and repeat. Just another option.

Reactions: Ysha7

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Our guys out here in Hawaii have tuned through Stratified plenty of times. We email our logs to Alex (from Stratified) and he usually has a quick turnaround. They can even schedule a live tune where you dyno the vehicle at your local facility, data log, email your logs in between dyno pulls; Alex will usually send adjustments quickly and you can load them onto your access port, rinse and repeat. Just another option.
Ya, I have a Stratified tune myself (91/E30 combo tune) and am very confident on how knowledgeable they are (I can honestly say ~80% of what I know about the ecoboost platform is from reading their tech articles). The point I was trying to make is that it sounds like the OPs issue can't be figured out by just looking at data logs and amy require somebody physically inspecting it to make a diagnosis.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ya, I have a Stratified tune myself (91/E30 combo tune) and am very confident on how knowledgeable they are (I can honestly say ~80% of what I know about the ecoboost platform is from reading their tech articles). The point I was trying to make is that it sounds like the OPs issue can't be figured out by just looking at data logs and amy require somebody physically inspecting it to make a diagnosis.
Good deal! I misunderstood your previous post. In that case, I think we agree. The OP should probably get the car taken care of by a local reputable shop to avoid anything worse happening to the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im going to put the whole car back to stock with the coils and all and see if the problem still occurs. And its been to the dealership a few times now. Ive addresses the misfire to Napa Ford once before and they told em they didn't find anything. Car had all the mods on it too.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If your battery is dieing after 10-15 days of no driving and you dont have a parasitic drain on it like a dash cam then your battery is toast which could also be why your auto start stop doesnt work. I'd replace the battery and check the ground then see what happens with the misfire. Electronically managed cars do very strange things when the batteries are on the way out.

Ciao

·
Registered
212 Posts
Im going to put the whole car back to stock with the coils and all and see if the problem still occurs. And its been to the dealership a few times now. Ive addresses the misfire to Napa Ford once before and they told em they didn't find anything. Car had all the mods on it too.
Before you give up hope, please just spend the $150 and swap the injectors. I would get misfires to the point of the car being un-drive-able, still no codes, and once I swapped new injectors in everything was fine. The misfires I experienced varied greatly, but a tech I had look at the car thought it was a fueling issue which led me to swap the injectors. I would get an occasional misfire in the upper RPM when going full throttle (where I could almost consistently get a misfire), and then random ones every now and then.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts