Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I was traveling at approximately 125 miles an hour Monday 3/21, when the underbody panel that connects to the lip of the splitter back to about 18" under the car decided to blow off which destroyed the panel, ripped the inner fenders and ripped the bumper facia. The car has 654 miles on it!!!
Took it into my local Ford dealer to have it looked at for a warranty replacement done and now they're insinuating that I hit something in the road.....I can't believe it... If that were the case the splitter and any other parts would have certaintly been demolished....Anyone else had this type of problem? Or, have any insight as to how I should negotiate this? It's an $1800+ repair bill...
Kerry

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Boy am I glad I did the easy break-in method. This was on a public road I assume?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
My front underpanel plastic clips popped out of the holes when on the motorway, It started flapping really badly i thought i had a flat tyre. Did an emergency stop fix, and had to take the whole thing out. I removed the tray only once when i did an oil service. Such crappy fittings and tray, I decided to get a custom aluminium one made up. Couldn't be bothered with warranty, as it takes months to order oem parts from Germany.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just fabricate an aluminum panel that is attached via pan head bolts and nylock nuts with large fender washers to displace the stress at the attachment points... seems to me that the panel was either not attached properly or the downforce produced was a bit much for the "plastic" screws from the factory...even though I would imagine they were many times put thru the paces in r&d and/or a wind tunnel. Just sucks that a $50k car has this type of problem and then the manufacturer's representative implies it's my fault... if I'd hit an item in the roadway I'd have just turned it into my insurance company as a comprehensive claim with a $100 deductible....disappointing that I'm being treated like I'm trying to be dishonest... hope this isn't a sign of things to come concerning this car... I heard horror stories over the years about GTR and WRX owners being considered "guilty" when anything unusual happened....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My front underpanel plastic clips popped out of the holes when on the motorway, It started flapping really badly i thought i had a flat tyre. Did an emergency stop fix, and had to take the whole thing out. I removed the tray only once when i did an oil service. Such crappy fittings and tray, I decided to get a custom aluminium one made up. Couldn't be bothered with warranty, as it takes months to order oem parts from Germany.
Did you fabricate or is there a company making them?
Any possibility u could post pix and/or share any helpful info as to the aluminum panels construction please? Thx for your time and consideration!!

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
/me throws money at my screen!!!

I'll take two!(with vents)

·
Registered
738 Posts
:happy::happy: yeah its very well made, 1 piece as well. Cost me $350

The guy may be interested in more orders, but international shipping may be not worth it

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
:happy::happy: yeah its very well made, 1 piece as well. Cost me $350

The guy may be interested in more orders, but international shipping may be not worth it
I ordered a ford built in Germany. I'll eat some shipping for the right parts. =)

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Well as I was traveling at approximately 125 miles an hour Monday 3/21, when the underbody panel that connects to the lip of the splitter back to about 18" under the car decided to blow off which destroyed the panel, ripped the inner fenders and ripped the bumper facia. The car has 654 miles on it!!!
Took it into my local Ford dealer to have it looked at for a warranty replacement done and now they're insinuating that I hit something in the road.....I can't believe it... If that were the case the splitter and any other parts would have certaintly been demolished....Anyone else had this type of problem? Or, have any insight as to how I should negotiate this? It's an $1800+ repair bill...
Kerry
Assuming the car hasnt had anybody working on it yet I think that instead of that panel being fitted under the splitter like it should have been its been fitted on top of the splitter and the wind has got under the edge of it and ripped it off. Should be easy to check for evidence of that.

Ciao

·
Premium Member
3,291 Posts
I know of an RS that has been north of 140MPH and not had an issue with the undertray. I have see pictures of the tray not being installed correctly at the front and pulling down at speed too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know of an RS that has been north of 140MPH and not had an issue with the undertray. I have see pictures of the tray not being installed correctly at the front and pulling down at speed too.
I've made 8 passes at a sanctioned event that were all over 166 MPH. Tray is still intact.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
In regards to your OE undertray...have you driven in snow much this winter? There have been many incidents to show that the undertray traps snow and then gets wet and weighed down causing it to become distorted and could likely rip off at this point. If this is the case you could print out examples from this forum and show your dealership. There are definitely people at Ford who know this is an issue by now.

Did you fabricate or is there a company making them?
Any possibility u could post pix and/or share any helpful info as to the aluminum panels construction please? Thx for your time and consideration!!
As for an aluminum one, Skid Plate Guy out of Syracuse makes one. See his facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SkidPlateGuy/posts/1843545545922164

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I may just fabricate an aluminum panel that is attached via pan head bolts and nylock nuts with large fender washers to displace the stress at the attachment points... seems to me that the panel was either not attached properly or the downforce produced was a bit much for the "plastic" screws from the factory...even though I would imagine they were many times put thru the paces in r&d and/or a wind tunnel. Just sucks that a $50k car has this type of problem and then the manufacturer's representative implies it's my fault... if I'd hit an item in the roadway I'd have just turned it into my insurance company as a comprehensive claim with a $100 deductible....disappointing that I'm being treated like I'm trying to be dishonest... hope this isn't a sign of things to come concerning this car... I heard horror stories over the years about GTR and WRX owners being considered "guilty" when anything unusual happened....

The price of this car just keeps going up! Now it's a $50k car!!! It's a $36k car. Yes you can add options and get it to $45k but those are all dress up luxury things nothing really of function except lighter wheels and better tires.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The price of this car just keeps going up! Now it's a $50k car!!! It's a $36k car. Yes you can add options and get it to $45k but those are all dress up luxury things nothing really of function except lighter wheels and better tires.
Lmao, this is what I was going to say.

I wonder how long before people start calling it a $60,000 car.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts