Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all I own a 2017 RS and over the 3 years I have slowly built my RS up to a good level.
It has a Mountune built engine ( piston,rods,balance shaft delete,arp head studs)
Mountune alloy radiator
Mountune induction kit and secondary
Mountune boost hose kit
Mountune re circ valve and SSC
Mountune installed LSD
Mountune KW Coilovers
Mountune full turbo back exhaust with sports cat
Mountune short shifter
Mountune torque mount and PTU brace
Stage 2 Spec-R intercooler ( 800 bhp rated )
Spec-R oil cooler
Revo Alcon 6 pot brakes

I currently run their M400X via their own handset but i am looking for something more bespoke as there has been "some" failures in the past inc with forged engines. My good friend melted all four pistons at the Nurburgring and no support was given for what reason i wont get into. Our M400 kit is rated at crank but i feel 420 is possible on this current spec on build? I am considering Mountune USA aka Randy doing a bespoke tune, what do you all think?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Randy is an excellent tuner he has tuned every focus I’ve ever owned dating back the my mk1. He would be an excellent choice to go with.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I am considering Mountune USA aka Randy doing a bespoke tune, what do you all think?
I know he's tuned other non-US cars (Australia, etc.) so I don't think that would be an issue. More so surprised that Moutune, being based in the UK, does not have an in-house tuner of their own. I'm sure you have some local tuners that have access to a dyno that can do just as good, if not better of a job.

·
Premium Member
942 Posts
HI all I own a 2017 RS and over the 3 years I have slowly built my RS up to a good level.
It has a Mountune built engine ( piston,rods,balance shaft delete,arp head studs)
Mountune alloy radiator
Mountune boost hose kit
Mountune installed LSD
Mountune KW Coilovers
Mountune short shifter
Spec-R oil cooler
Revo Alcon 6 pot brakes

I currently run their M400X via their own handset but i am looking for something more bespoke as there has been "some" failures in the past inc with forged engines. My good friend melted all four pistons at the Nurburgring and no support was given for what reason i wont get into. Our M400 kit is rated at crank but i feel 420 is possible on this current spec on build? I am considering Mountune USA aka Randy doing a bespoke tune, what do you all think?
I think you will be happy working with Randy. I have two RS's both tuned by Randy.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mountune alloy radiator
Mountune boost hose kit
Mountune installed LSD
Mountune KW Coilovers
Mountune short shifter
Spec-R oil cooler
Revo Alcon 6 pot brakes

Hi Mate, welcome to the forum.
Something you might want to ask Mountune USA if you go down the bespoke tuning route is whether you can use your existing Mountune UK accessport or whether you need to buy a new Mountune USA accessport.

Really surprised to hear that those with forged engines have had failures with the M400X tune.
Are you wanting to move to a bespoke tune to increase reliability (because you are now concerned about the M400X tune after seeing what happened to your friends car), or are you wanting to get a little more power?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys thanks for replies
Mountune UK is actually 10 mins from my house, but i fear this calibration is not totally safe, once the warmer climate i will be doing some WOT pulls and log the information. A few UK owners have bespoke tunes from the states and they literally send it non stop and their engine has been as strong as ever. I feel a non off the shelf tune will increase longevity of my engine albeit its forged.

From my current spec what would be my maxium power out put i could get. i dont want to add any more engine parts like cams or turbos.

Many thanks

·
Registered
249 Posts
All 4 pistons melting, really.
Sounds suspect, I'm on 3 UK Forums not read anything about forged engines blowing apart from those that had the Head Gasket issue and nothing since the HG fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts