Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks! But dang! They only have the blue hose kit... Oh well, I'll wait for the bundle to be back in stock at the UK store and hopefully get an order in soon. I'm more inclined to get this now that I know I don't have to take off the whole front bumper like I did when I installed the Mountune intercooler. I'm hoping it'll change the noise a bit as well since the stock charge pipe has that weird resonator section in it.
I'm going to install it by removing both undertrays. Here's to hoping that the bumper doesn't have to come off for a charge pipe upgrade...

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm going to install it by removing both undertrays. Here's to hoping that the bumper doesn't have to come off for a charge pipe upgrade...
That's what this guy did:
I couldn't remember what the access was like when I did my intercooler install since it's been a couple years. So luckily I found this video. He just removed both undertrays. And if he can do it, we can do it! Haha!

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts

Here's the pipe and.... where my hoses at?!

and the clamps 🤣

·
Registered
491 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Clamps are separate, $20 at the Mountune USA.

The Mountune UK site has it for £18.33......... but they have another one for the ST for £12.50

The part numbers are different but! but! when you look at the boost hose for the RS: Boost Hose Upgrade Kit - RS

The link it has for the hose clamps are for the ST!

·
Registered
491 Posts

The Mountune UK site has it for £18.33......... but they have another one for the ST for £12.50

The part numbers are different but! but! when you look at the boost hose for the RS: Boost Hose Upgrade Kit - RS

I noticed the same thing! Really confusing with the different part numbers. Good thing I'm not the only one. Thought I was missing something. Either way, I was assuming the ones from the USA store here would work. Now you can confirm it for me!😁

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

What are the sizes for the smaller clamps? I have 4x of the 2.5" - 3.375" clamps here:

But I expect that the turbo outlet and throttle body clamps are different sizes, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
What are the sizes for the smaller clamps? I have 4x of the 2.5" - 3.375" clamps here:

But I expect that the turbo outlet and throttle body clamps are different sizes, is that correct?

Clamp sizes are:

3x size 40 (1-1/8" - 3")
1x size 36 (7/8" - 2-3/4")
2x size 32 (1-9/16" - 2-1/2")

I would say that the 3 large ones are the FMIC and TB

The size 36 is for the turbo and the 2 small ones are for the hard pipe connection.

NOTE: you can re-use the old clamps but might as well replace it while you're under there.

Reactions: phillofoc

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
In true British customer service fashion, I had to follow up with Mountune UK where I found that the breather plate has been subjected to a "delay in supply." It would have been nice if they were upfront with me 2 weeks ago instead of saying that they expected it at the end of the month! On a more positive note, I'm expecting my UK goods from the forwarder around the same time as the silicone pipes from US Mountune.

Right now it looks like my shipping cost through the forwarder will be 10-20 GBP more than what the charge pipe alone would have cost to ship, I call that a win as I have a bunch of other British/Euro items headed my way too in the same parcel (see what I did there?).

If anyone needs the Ford PN for the plastic rivets/screws for the plastic air deflector/undertray that connects to the bumper please let me know. They are not clearly listed in the Ford parts system.

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
I was not really planning to get anything from the UK other than you pointed out the hard pipe and I just maxed out the 10-15 kg limit for the shipping.

At this rate I dunno when I'll be back in the UK (I was in Ireland Late last year) but the pandemic definately put a brake on that this year.

I still stocked up on my Jameson and Marmite for now. 😁

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My hard pipe just came today. It's so light that I thought it was plastic until I unwrapped it. The shirt runs a little larger side, so the t-shirt fits great. Double win!

I'm still waiting for Mountune US to ship the couplers. It's only been since the 22nd...

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
My hard pipe just came today. It's so light that I thought it was plastic until I unwrapped it. The shirt runs a little larger side, so the t-shirt fits great. Double win!

I'm still waiting for Mountune US to ship the couplers. It's only been since the 22nd...
You got medium shirt right?

I just tried the "2XL" shirt I got and fits... but slightly smaller than my XL shirt here in the states.

·
Registered
491 Posts
And here I am still waiting for the gray hoses to come back in stock so I can order the charge pipe kit...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I put the hard pipe on yesterday and have driven it a few times since then. Wow, what a difference. I take back everything that I ever said about changing the hard pipe on a tune. Even my M380 kit responded well to the part. Ever since installing the IC, there was more power but there was a moment of hesitation when going WOT. That's gone now, and there's way more induction noise. I thought it was a leak somewhere but the car kept pulling.

The car is way more fun now, maybe a little too much fun. I got a traction control light on a 1-2 shift, that hadn't happened before. Sorry to everyone when I said that this part wouldn't do much, I was wrong!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I put the hard pipe on yesterday and have driven it a few times since then. Wow, what a difference. I take back everything that I ever said about changing the hard pipe on a tune. Even my M380 kit responded well to the part. Ever since installing the IC, there was more power but there was a moment of hesitation when going WOT. That's gone now, and there's way more induction noise. I thought it was a leak somewhere but the car kept pulling.

The car is way more fun now, maybe a little too much fun. I got a traction control light on a 1-2 shift, that hadn't happened before. Sorry to everyone when I said that this part wouldn't do much, I was wrong!
And here I am waiting for the kit to come back in stock on the UK site... Haha! This has me even more excited for when I'm eventually able to order it! Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Other than aluminum being lighter weight compared to the stainless steel, will there be any other noticeable differences between the US's V1 stainless steel vs. the UK's V2 aluminum? Did the UK decide on replacing the stainless steel version 1 with the aluminum version 2 only because of weight, or is there another reason aluminum might be better than stainless steel?

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
Other than aluminum being lighter weight compared to the stainless steel, will there be any other noticeable differences between the US's V1 stainless steel vs. the UK's V2 aluminum? Did the UK decide on replacing the stainless steel version 1 with the aluminum version 2 only because of weight, or is there another reason aluminum might be better than stainless steel?
The aluminum is a one piece bended compared to the SS that was welded together, smoother flow?

·
Registered
2016 RS
140 Posts
Hey question on these silicon hoses... would they be second option instead of the hard pipes? Or used together for intercooler?

·
Registered
2016 RS
140 Posts
Hey question on these silicon hoses... would they be second option instead of the hard pipes? Or used together for intercooler?
Nvm I found my answer.. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It's also way cheaper to manufacture. I'm surprised that they didn't go this route initially, but perhaps people prefer stainless.

@nicklulu when you install this, you will definitely need some hairspray as install dressing and I also took a green 3m pad to scuff up where the hose fits on the pipe. The stock hose was sliding around regardless of how hard I cranked down the clamp without doing that stuff.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts