Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Hoping some of you can point me towards a general source of these 2 oil leaks.

First leak I'm curious if it's just a bad drain plug seal or more indicative of the front cover/banjo bolt/turbo oil line bs that others are facing. Second leak is on the tranny side. I've had the banjo bolt replaced already 6mo ago.

I am making an appointment with the dealership. The SA and I have a good relationship and I would like to research things beforehand. If any of you could point to likely sources of the leaks, I can then move on to read up on the issues. Any input is appreciated.

Leak 1. From the passenger side (usdm) wheel well and then from underneath the car

Leak 2. From underneath the car on the drivers side

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi all

Hoping some of you can point me towards a general source of these 2 oil leaks.

First leak I'm curious if it's just a bad drain plug seal or more indicative of the front cover/banjo bolt/turbo oil line bs that others are facing. Second leak is on the tranny side. I've had the banjo bolt replaced already 6mo ago.

I am making an appointment with the dealership. The SA and I have a good relationship and I would like to research things beforehand. If any of you could point to likely sources of the leaks, I can then move on to read up on the issues. Any input is appreciated.

Leak 1. From the passenger side (usdm) wheel well and then from underneath the car

Leak 2. From underneath the car on the drivers side

Probs ptu and front cover leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Leak 1 is hard to guess, but considering the banjo bolt and surrounding areas are covered in oil, my guess is it's coming from above. Has the HG been done a while back?

Leak 2 could be due to trans shift tower leak, located right under the air intake. Check if there are little pools of trans fluid under it.

·
5,622 Posts
Leak 1 exact same here.
Plz post what they find.
Tia.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leak 1 is hard to guess, but considering the banjo bolt and surrounding areas are covered in oil, my guess is it's coming from above. Has the HG been done a while back?

Leak 2 could be due to trans shift tower leak, located right under the air intake. Check if there are little pools of trans fluid under it.
I'm at 45,000km and the hg FSA was performed at 6,000km. Banjo replaced around 38,000km

·
Registered
494 Posts
Because in Ford's exact words, "we start with the small things and work our way upwards"
That's what they told me after I told them twice where the leak was coming from and supplied pictures and others experiences , only now on the 3rd attempt will they be attempting to fix it PROPERLY.
My car goes in tomorrow arvo hopefully (but not confident) for the last time.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Because in Ford's exact words, "we start with the small things and work our way upwards"
That's what they told me after I told them twice where the leak was coming from and supplied pictures and others experiences , only now on the 3rd attempt will they be attempting to fix it PROPERLY.
My car goes in tomorrow arvo hopefully (but not confident) for the last time.
Which is just code for "we keep changing easy dumb **** that experience has shown us doesn't work in the hope the customer will give up and go away"

Ciao

·
Registered
494 Posts
Which is just code for "we keep changing easy dumb **** that experience has shown us doesn't work in the hope the customer will give up and go away"

Ciao

Yep, pretty much, but this customer won't be going away until it's fixed PROPERLY !

·
Registered
619 Posts
1 Front cover
2 Shift tower (look and see if fluid is on top as well)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will report back after my visit(s) to the dealer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Leak 1 here as well. I cleaned it up and will recheck in a week. First time under the car since headgasket.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car is going in to the dealer May 13.

Worth mentioning that I was one of the very first to get the headgasket FSA performed. In Feb-05-2018 and out Feb-23-2018. The tech was excellent and provided 100+ pictures. This was obvioulsy prior to the TA30 sealant update and the update to the workshop manual. As previously mentioned the turbo oil line, banjo, copper o-rings were replaced already. So logically leak 1 would be the front timing cover issue. Question now would be, is the correct resolution to perform another headgasket replacement, or to remedy the front timing cover + sealant only?

Leak 2 I won't even bother having an opinion on. Some of you have mentioned shift tower leak. Would an aftermarket (Cobb) shift plate contribute to that? I have one, but I'm not concerned as the dealership is a Cobb vendor. Curious for my own edification.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Question now would be, is the correct resolution to perform another headgasket replacement, or to remedy the front timing cover + sealant only?

Leak 2 I won't even bother having an opinion on. Some of you have mentioned shift tower leak. Would an aftermarket (Cobb) shift plate contribute to that? I have one, but I'm not concerned as the dealership is a Cobb vendor. Curious for my own edification.
I believe they have to pretty much re-do the HG since they have to remove the head and apply the sealant on the 2 spots on the HG. At least that's what they had to do for mine.

I think the shift plates that just mount on the arm, like the cobb, are less likely to cause the shift tower leak compared to ones that completely replace the arm, like the mountune, since it involves hammering out that roll pin, which may cause enough shock to cause the shift selector housing sealant to fail. Not really sure if that was the cause for mine since I've installed my mountune arm pretty early on.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I believe they have to pretty much re-do the HG since they have to remove the head and apply the sealant on the 2 spots on the HG. At least that's what they had to do for mine.

I think the shift plates that just mount on the arm, like the cobb, are less likely to cause the shift tower leak compared to ones that completely replace the arm, like the mountune, since it involves hammering out that roll pin, which may cause enough shock to cause the shift selector housing sealant to fail. Not really sure if that was the cause for mine since I've installed my mountune arm pretty early on.
The old Cobb plate required removing the pin to install the plate, but the updated version copied other brands and is installed with the arm attached. So depending the version it could’ve caused the issue, but many stock cars have had shift tower leaks. Whether or not the repair is warrantied will depend on the dealer if the plate is installed.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
The old Cobb plate required removing the pin to install the plate, but the updated version copied other brands and is installed with the arm attached. So depending the version it could’ve caused the issue, but many stock cars have had shift tower leaks. Whether or not the repair is warrantied will depend on the dealer if the plate is installed.
Ya, I had my Mountune plate on when I took it into the dealer. They said it was "normal" since the breather was right there . Resealed it myself, problem solved lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
There was a revision to the HG procedure 6 months into the recall, so anyone that has done the first rev will most likely have same leak.

I also have the same front cover leak.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts