Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just installed a Turbosmart dual port BOV. It works great, sounds fun, and all that driving around town. When I get up to highway speeds (65ish) it cruises fine for a minute or so then starts venting to atmosphere. A little tap on the throttle will close it right up and it will stay closed for another minute or so.

What I’m trying to figure out is what the cause is so I can fix it. I haven’t turned the dial for harder/softer yet; thinking maybe it just vents at too low boost pressure? Or maybe I didn’t get the vacuum line installed properly? Looking forward to suggestions! Thanks

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hello all. I just installed a Turbosmart dual port BOV. It works great, sounds fun, and all that driving around town. When I get up to highway speeds (65ish) it cruises fine for a minute or so then starts venting to atmosphere. A little tap on the throttle will close it right up and it will stay closed for another minute or so.

What I’m trying to figure out is what the cause is so I can fix it. I haven’t turned the dial for harder/softer yet; thinking maybe it just vents at too low boost pressure? Or maybe I didn’t get the vacuum line installed properly? Looking forward to suggestions! Thanks
That's working how it is supposed to. The car keeps the turbo spooling for better response. It's venting what it doesn't need. You can install a boost reference adaptor to make it go away, but some will argue your losing performance that way, albeit you probably wouldn't notice a difference

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Perfectly normal. Happens with pretty much every vent to atmosphere BOV I know of for the Focus platform. It's also the main reason I never use cruise control

·
Registered
164 Posts
So you're saying it is better to not install the boost reference teed off the PVC in regards to performance? This is the main reason I wouldn't want to install it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So you're saying it is better to not install the boost reference teed off the PVC in regards to performance? This is the main reason I wouldn't want to install it.
I haven’t installed mine yet, mostly due to laziness, but I would also like to know the answer to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you install the BRA, the car will no longer be able to vent extra boost while keeping the turbo spooled. It will have to open the WG and slow down the turbo, which means you won't have almost instant boost next time you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you T into the PVC line fittings as per the instructions?
I didn’t do that, I followed the simplified version of Turbosmart’s instructions on their YouTube. Seems that’s it’s not necessary if you’re not planning to add a boost gauge.

I have noticed throttle response is still very tight on the highway, and the valve does close immediately with throttle input. So it sounds like I shouldn’t be concerned about it. Would adjustment to the “harder/softer” dial change what pressure the value opens?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts