Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from a video release from the NYIAS an engineer stated the turbo has a 22mm compressor and a 63mm turbine(3mm larger then the mustang). These numbers seem completely off. A 22mm compressor is tiny even if they are talking inducer size, this would suit an engine of half the displacement. Then you have the ratio of compressor to turbine which is enormous.

1:06

[video]http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/2016-ford-focus-rs-new-york-2015-video/[/video]

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you can manage to find the stock mustang ecoboost turbo specs we could probably guess at what he meant. I cant seem to find them anywhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The most I can find is that the stock turbo is close to a garrett gt22, but if you go up their chain of turbos nothing really even remotely matches up to what he said.... even the turbine size.

Maybe he meant 53mm turbine instead of 63. that would make more sense. As for the compressor size, I can't even begin to match that up with any kind of mistake. Regardless, it's safe to assume that a 53mm turbine vs 50mm is good for roughly 50 more hp assuming the compressor size changed accordingly as well.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea I know you start getting into GT2860 and bigger to match the turbine size, but as far as compressor size, not even close lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
to be honest I just hope power doesn't fall on its face at the upper end of the RPM band like the mustang. if this car pulls hard all the way to redline it will be awesome.

·
Registered
225 Posts
to be honest I just hope power doesn't fall on its face at the upper end of the RPM band like the mustang. if this car pulls hard all the way to redline it will be awesome.
From what they have said it is supposed too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I'm trying to figure out. Ford states that you will feel the surge to redline but the Mustang has me feeling iffy. I have seen huge TQ gains from the Mustang but after 5500 RPMs you get out of the efficiency range from the turbo. The AWD will make the low end TQ hook up well but I want that push at the top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
Crooked Letta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing