Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody seen turbo specs on the RS yet? I'm sure a map is a long ways away at this point, just wonder how much head room these cars will have.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I don't think anything has been released or is known yet there. (specifics I mean)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have no idea, but as an educated guess I'm going to say it's pretty tapped out from the factory. If it were in its optimal range they wouldn't need to cut power after 20 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have no idea, but as an educated guess I'm going to say it's pretty tapped out from the factory. If it were in its optimal range they wouldn't need to cut power after 20 seconds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I don't necessarily disagree that it's maxed out from the factory, but considering the durability/reliability goals Ford set for itself, it's more of a safeguard feature for the motor's integrity than anything else. Nothing unheard of from a manufacturer's standpoint. This overboost function is just Ford's approach.

Afterall, 20 seconds is quite a bit of time. Many factors are obviously involved, but a significantly tapped out turbo would, in general, reach diminishing returns well before 20 seconds were up.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Honeywell twin scroll. Heard some other specs but don't remember what they were, but I recall thinking it was simular to an 18g turbo in terms of flow.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
Honeywell twin scroll. Heard some other specs but don't remember what they were, but I recall thinking it was simular to an 18g turbo in terms of flow.
Really? I thought Ford was using BW on all of it's ecoboost engines.

I don't necessarily disagree that it's maxed out from the factory, but considering the durability/reliability goals Ford set for itself, it's more of a safeguard feature for the motor's integrity than anything else. Nothing unheard of from a manufacturer's standpoint. This overboost function is just Ford's approach.

Afterall, 20 seconds is quite a bit of time. Many factors are obviously involved, but a significantly tapped out turbo would, in general, reach diminishing returns well before 20 seconds were up.
I agree. Most performance cars now have an overboost feature and that doesn't mean the turbo is at the edge of it's effenciency. A lot of times this is just a feature to help fight off heat soak and "overboost" looks good in a brochure.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Honeywell, compressor is 3mm larger than mustang. I cant find a data log from a mustang but im guessing it will flow mid 30lb/min

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The Focus ST uses a K03. The Ecoboost Mustang uses a K04. All of Ford's literature say that the turbo is the standard Mustang turbo with a larger compressor - apparently 3mm larger. So I'm not expecting much beyond the Mustang's capability in terms of boost. I had an upgraded compressor wheel on the factory turbo on my Eclipse (FP T28) and was pretty unimpressed with the results.

EDIT: This is wrong.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The Focus ST uses a K03. The Ecoboost Mustang uses a K04. All of Ford's literature say that the turbo is the standard Mustang turbo with a larger compressor - apparently 3mm larger. So I'm not expecting much beyond the Mustang's capability in terms of boost. I had an upgraded compressor wheel on the factory turbo on my Eclipse (FP T28) and was pretty unimpressed with the results.
The EB Mustang does not use a K04, it is a twinscroll unit from Honeywell. The only vehicle to use a K04 twinscroll that I know of would be the Balt SS.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
There was a video a while back, something like 6 months ago with an engineer stating turbo specs. The specs were completely wrong and wouldn't even be ample enough to give enough flow for a 1 liter. I have also tried to find stock EB turbo specs and failed everytime, Usually the best place to find them would be the people who are creating hybrid unit and wheel upgrades.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The EB Mustang does not use a K04, it is a twinscroll unit from Honeywell. The only vehicle to use a K04 twinscroll that I know of would be the Balt SS.
No, you're right. I was going off of a talk that I had with some engineers that were doing reliability tests on the EcoBoost by driving them around the Midwest. They had stopped by my college for a talk. Two of them told me what I stated before. Turns out the turbo on the Ecoboost is allegedly equivalent with a GT22 per an EB driver on reddit, which doesn't sound right at all. The largest GT22 that I am familiar with is maxed out at 280 crank hp.

I don't like this speculation thing...

In other news, yay Garrett! If the GT22 thing is correct, I could upgrade the RS by installing the turbo from my Miata...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
No, you're right. I was going off of a talk that I had with some engineers that were doing reliability tests on the EcoBoost by driving them around the Midwest. They had stopped by my college for a talk. Two of them told me what I stated before. Turns out the turbo on the Ecoboost is allegedly equivalent with a GT22 per an EB driver on reddit, which doesn't sound right at all. The largest GT22 that I am familiar with is maxed out at 280 crank hp.

I don't like this speculation thing...

In other news, yay Garrett! If the GT22 thing is correct, I could upgrade the RS by installing the turbo from my Miata...
I spent a lot of time to try and figure this out but honestly my mind is a little at ease seeing the power graph of the RS. The drop up top really seems to be overzealous heat management. I'm not getting anything into my head until we start tuning the RS and seeing what happens but the EB Mustangs guys do pretty good with the stock snail. I'm hoping for 400whp if I need Meth to get there so be it, but if it maxes out at 370whp then an EFR will be going in :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Something comparable to an 18g would be nice (425hp, 51mm/68mm) but I don't think it's that big. The only info I've found on the Mustang EB turbo is 43mm/60mm which seems inline with its power levels, I would imagine the RS will follow the same design philosophy. I'm guessing 47mm/60mm, won't be much more hp left in it but judging buy the dyno sheet floating around it will have at least another 50 ftlbs of torque. I know compressor size is less then half of the equation but it's the easiest place to start.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
9 Participants
Blackcossie
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing