Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've seen plenty of threads on E30 mix but never E20. I have a few RaceTrac gas stations around me that carry E20 fuel, which is great that way I don't have to waste time doing the mixing myself, and would like to know y'alls thoughts on E20? The nearest E85 station closest to me is over 50 miles away so that's unreasonable and doesn't make any sense for me to travel that far just for some fuel.

Is it safe to run this on our stock fuel pumps, injectors, lines etc? I'm already tuned but it's by a tuner I don't trust/heard bad things about and want to get it retuned by somebody who'll go for more horsepower but keep it slightly conservative because I can't afford to replace a motor right now.

I'm interested in hearing y'alls feedback about it because it would be ideal for me to run on E20 instead of 93 octane for all the benefits. Later on I plan on installed a water/alchy kit to supplement the E20 tune. Everything is mostly modified except injectors, built motor, and bigger turbo. I think I have plenty of room for more power as I don't have a dyno sheet of the current tune as I haven't done it but it feels like I hit a tiny amount of fuel cut in 3rd gear approaching right at 4k RPM and feels like it doesn't want to pull hard after that but pulls mostly hard all the way to redline.

Also I know this isn't in the right thread but I figured I would include it also. I've been thinking about getting the Injen SES9003TT put on my car (which I can get it at a steal of a price right now) along with the Scorpion downpipe I already have but I have to get rid of my REMUS exhaust with no tips first. If anybody is interested in the REMUS exhaust please message me. I haven't posted it in for sale thread because I can't take pictures of it since it's still attached to my car.

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's certainly something that could be tuned for, but most pump gas these days (at least in my part of the country) is 15% ethanol already, so there's not likely to be a ton of difference between an E20 tune and a 91 or 93 octane tune with E15.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our pump gas here is E10

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Missing the point...e85 , that E30 would be mixed from is ~102 or higher octane for the gas portion....E20 is an entirely different fuel...

Reactions: fbaltona

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So after learning about the octane ratings of the E10-15-20-85 etc fuel, would getting tuned for E15 or E20 be less powerful than getting tuned on 93/E10 pump gas?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Missing the point...e85 , that E30 would be mixed from is ~102 or higher octane for the gas portion....E20 is an entirely different fuel...
Jon is correct here. The E10-15 blends are done so it’s cheaper for the brand to make said octane. They can easily mix in additional ethanol to make higher octane per formula used. If u use E85 to a mix of 91 using E10+ you will have substantially higher octane , mixing at 3.5:1 will give approx 94 octane on 91 California gas using E10. Tons of info online on this. Downside is your now on the LTFT limits and you raise possibility of check engine noticing said parameter is outta que. Tuning fixes this but if you give your tuner data logs which show additional timing can be used because of higher octane you chose you see more benefits .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts