Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you may have seen the latest "Consumer Reports" review of UHP summer tires, with the new Nokian "Z-Line" coming in tied for second place after the #1 Michelin Super Sports. The review also notes they have a better ride than the SSs.

I bought my RS in January, and I had the dealer install the stock winter tires/wheels before I took delivery. Since I'm using my RS as a DD, and the road surfaces up here in the Blue Ridge are often quite rough and coarse, I decided to mount a set of the Z-Lines and run them instead of using the stock Cup 2s. I've never driven on the Cup 2s myself--just the dealer's 11 shake-out miles on 'em--but the difference between the stock Michelin winters and these 19" summer Nokians is very noticeable indeed. The acceleration is quicker, turn-in is sharper, and, perhaps because of reduction in weight, it's almost as if the engine moves through the rev range faster. What has surprised me some, though, is that there seems to be more noise, rather than less, coming from these summer tires.

The Z-Lines are supposed to be comparatively quiet for a UHP summer, so I'm wondering if the increased sound might be a result of the larger gaps between the spokes on the forged wheels v. the winter wheels? Anybody else noticed similar when making the switch?

Anyway, I'll report with more detail on the Z-Lines once i've got a couple hundred miles or so on them. In terms of cost, they are a great deal right now--seem to be running about $100.00 per tire in the 235/35 19 size--if one shops around online. Big savings over the Pilot Super Sports, and, since they're rated nearly as highly overall and are supposed to be slightly more comfortable, they'll be a great value, if they work out.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had these on my Audi S4 (255/35/19) and really liked them and I'm sure you will to. Looking forward to your updates.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have about 140 miles on them at this point; certainly enough for the tire mold release stuff to be gone and to get into the actual tread compound. They are indeed quiet--now more so than the Pilot Alpin winters on the winter wheels. Still can hear more mechanical noise than with the winter wheels from elsewhere in the car though--such as the whine of turbo under throttle--not that that's a bad thing. :)

We had a several days of quite cool temps--mid-40s to mid-50s with lots of rain--right after I had them put on the car, and they seem to have excellent wet traction. When temperatures were at the coolest, they did, of course, do what most summer tires will do in temps like that: stiffen was up and transmit a lot of harshness. But now that we're back into the 70s and they're beginning to break in, the ride has been pretty good, at least thus far. And dry grip is terrific. Haven't yet tried Drift Mode with them--need a track day or at least an empty parking lot to do that, so still no good sense of how progressive and communicative they might be when at the limit of grip. More on that when I've got a better sense of it.

On the down side, there's some tramline steer and even some torque steer as compared to the winter tires/wheels. That could of course be the 19 inch size and the smaller, stiffer side wall, so I doubt that they're doing it more than the Pilot Super Sports would, and I can't imagine the Cup 2s would be better. So, thus far at least, they've been working well.

Reactions: RocketRS

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just ordered a pair of these, willing to see what they are about for the price I paid for them, and how highly C.R. reviewed them. I paid $75/tire + $50 shipping. $350 out the door, and if they perform near as good as reviewed, I'll be happy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just ordered a pair of these, willing to see what they are about for the price I paid for them, and how highly C.R. reviewed them. I paid $75/tire + $50 shipping. $350 out the door, and if they perform near as good as reviewed, I'll be happy!
A pair is usually 2. From your pricing it sounds like you bought 4.

Krzys

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Where can you find them for $100 bucks each?
I ordered mine from Wal-Mart online, if you can believe it, for about $97 per tire. Delivery to your local Wal-Mart is free if you do it that way. I didn't let them mount them though--was worried they might scratch the wheels since they're such a low profile tire--so I took them to a local tire shop i trust to do that.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Great pricing for these. I wouldn't hesitate with these for a DD. Just wondering if anyone has tracked these? The SS were very good at the track and DD. $100 is cheap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No direct experience of tracking the Z-Lines yet, though given how much grip they have while DD-ing, I'd think will likely do well. Of course, they're not going to be as grippy as Cup 2s, but those are track tires that are "steetable," as opposed to the other way around for the Z-Lines, just as for the Super Sports.

Great pricing for these. I wouldn't hesitate with these for a DD. Just wondering if anyone has tracked these? The SS were very good at the track and DD. $100 is cheap!

·
Registered
455 Posts
No direct experience of tracking the Z-Lines yet, though given how much grip they have while DD-ing, I'd think will likely do well. Of course, they're not going to be as grippy as Cup 2s, but those are track tires that are "steetable," as opposed to the other way around for the Z-Lines, just as for the Super Sports.
I have the SS now. After 10k miles I'm at 3/32 with 4 track events. I know that's ok but the ticket price is high. The look on my wife's face when I said I need new tires was priceless in a 'not so good' way. At around $400 a set I'm ok with losing a couple of seconds. I was thinking about the Cup 2's but with low tread wear I would need to dedicate them for the track only and that's a PITA.

I really like the SS for daily and the track. Lord knows I can work on my driving before getting the absolute highest gripe. I think I'm going to try the Z-Lines out

Thanks!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had these tires, on my EP3(Civic Si). 225/45-17. They were good tires, but constantly looked 'soft' up front. Tire pressure was never a problem, so would I chalk it up to weak sidewall? I love Nokian snows, but these turned me off. Tons of tread life left, but they seem to be soft and the care is relatively light.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I had these tires, on my EP3(Civic Si). 225/45-17. They were good tires, but constantly looked 'soft' up front. Tire pressure was never a problem, so would I chalk it up to weak sidewall? I love Nokian snows, but these turned me off. Tons of tread life left, but they seem to be soft and the care is relatively light.
Haven't noticed that or similar with my set on the RS's forged wheels, but they're XL rated and 19" with a really low aspect ratio, so 'soft' would be relative, to say the least. I'm sure they're softer than Cup 2s, but, if one is comparing a 'streetable track' tire like the Cup 2, to a 'trackable' street UHP summer tire like the Z-Line, the track tire is going to certainly have the stiffer sidewall. That was why I didn't bother even using the Cup 2s that were OEM with my RS--it'd be overkill for DDing, and I figured the ride would be really poor given our roads in the NC High Country. One thing I will say, at about 400 miles on the z-Lines, they're so much more grippy than the stock Michelin winters in the dry as to make the car actually feel a tad less playful in tight turns unless you're on the throttle quick and and deep.

Reactions: GTS Daddy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Where can you find them for $100 bucks each?
I ordered mine from Wal-Mart online, if you can believe it, for about $97 per tire. Delivery to your local Wal-Mart is free if you do it that way. I didn't let them mount them though--was worried they might scratch the wheels since they're such a low profile tire--so I took them to a local tire shop i trust to do that.
We're these the ones you ordered? I was about to pull the trigger until I noticed it read Nokain and not Nokian! Thoughts? Maybe just a typo?

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
We're these the ones you ordered? I was about to pull the trigger until I noticed it read Nokain and not Nokian! Thoughts? Maybe just a typo?
Yep--that's the ordering link I used. It's a typo. Walmart and all, but I can confirm what I got were Nokian Z-Lines, not "Nokains." Pics below.

Sorry about the muddy sidewalls. Been a record setting amount of rain this May up here in Boone.

Also, you can compare the Walmart pic. to the (much better) pic of the tread pattern and numerical tread-wear indicators on the Nokian website: https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-zline/

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Weird--not sure why you got info rather than pics. Let me try again....

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Btw: 1400 mile update on these. They're breaking in well--took a trip to the beach with my wife last week, so got a good sense of these on the highway in both dry and wet conditions. Grip remains great, and the tire is communicative, but not so much as to be unduly harsh through the steering wheel. In fact, the tram-lining seems to have reduced some since they first went on, and I got very little of the dreaded "pogoing" suspension waves going over highway expansion joints. Quietness is good too. That said, the ride remains stiff, more so by a good measure as compared to the stock 18" winters. No surprise there, really, and I'm running them at 44 psi; think I will likely go down some more, to 42 or 41 psi, and see if that softens things up just a bit further, but without making the TPMS get all upset. I don't want to have to get the silly tool required to reset those things...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Focus RS is making more noise tan cup 2 tyres.
But you are right, nobody the speed you get on cup2. I is simply more than good. Paint killer as vel. I see damage on car after 800km. I had too install big mud plates behind wheels. Cup 2 lifetime was under 3000km ! But sensational fast in low temperatures and rain. Now i run Michelin new Pilot sport4.
I feel les grip when you go extreme. And little bit higher comfort, but hope on longer lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
170 Posts
Anyone have any updates on how these tires are. I'm about to buy some. I did get 40k out of my original michilens and they still have tread!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone have any updates on how these tires are. I'm about to buy some. I did get 40k out of my original michilens and they still have tread!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have them on mine, really a good daily tire. I've even been to the drag strip on them once, got a 1.81 60', which for a street tire, doesn't seem any more then michelin users are getting, less than most that I've seen actually.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts