Ford Focus RS Forum banner

81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Would it be a problem going from the stock 19s on the 18RS to a smaller set of 18s? Looking to run an aggressive summer/track combo, but then switch out for 8 or so months a year to a an aggressive all season tire.
There isn't any problem switching between the stock 19s to 18s, as long as the tire is appropriately sized. Probably the worst thing that can happen is maybe your speedometer would read slightly different. My current set-up is 18s with PS4Ss for daily and the stock 19s with Federal RS-RRs for track duty.

Anyway, are you giving anything up in terms of performance on the track going from the 19inch Cup 2s on the stock wheels to the 18inch Advanti Hybris on the same cup sport 2s? Is it a rougher ride?
Considering the tires will be the same, not giving anything up at all. Switching to 18s will be more economical, should open you up to more tire options and ride better.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm on the lookout for 19x9 light wheels. Do you guys have any suggestions. I'm digging for a couple of weeks now but everything I like costs like 3k per wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
I'm on the lookout for 19x9 light wheels. Do you guys have any suggestions. I'm digging for a couple of weeks now but everything I like costs like 3k per wheel.
I don't know why anyone would choose 19's over 18's. 18's are lower weight, and tires are much cheaper. I went to 20 lb 18" wheels (flow formed cast, so close to forged in strength) and they were $167 each. I'd go to 18's all day long, more rubber means more protection.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I don't know why anyone would choose 19's over 18's. 18's are lower weight, and tires are much cheaper. I went to 20 lb 18" wheels (flow formed cast, so close to forged in strength) and they were $167 each. I'd go to 18's all day long, more rubber means more protection.
A 19" tire/wheel can be lighter than the 18" depending on the tire you are wanting to run but it will definitely end up costing more. That said I am about to switch over from the 19x8.5 OZ Leggeras to 18x9 TEs for the protection and ride benefits myself.

·
Registered
776 Posts
A 19" tire/wheel can be lighter than the 18" depending on the tire you are wanting to run but it will definitely end up costing more. That said I am about to switch over from the 19x8.5 OZ Leggeras to 18x9 TEs for the protection and ride benefits myself.
Thought Texas went big. Only 9, pssshh

9.5”
Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I liked the 19" look with the stock wheels but it's true that I already have a small crack on the right front tire side wall. And now that I checked pricing for 18 vs 19 tires the difference truly is substancial. Despite that I still have my 19'' tires my car came with which I have to swap if I buy 18'' wheels.

Can you guys recommend aby lightweight 18x9 then. I plan to track the car as I get more used to it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I liked the 19" look with the stock wheels but it's true that I already have a small crack on the right front tire side wall. And now that I checked pricing for 18 vs 19 tires the difference truly is substancial. Despite that I still have my 19'' tires my car came with which I have to swap if I buy 18'' wheels.

Can you guys recommend aby lightweight 18x9 then. I plan to track the car as I get more used to it.
Vivid has some TE’s that are 18x9 +40 and Oakos has some Enkeis 18x9

I myself went with 18x8.5 with a +37 offset and honestly the ride quality got worse(daily driver) due to offset and probably choice of tire size 245/40. IMO, any 18’s with a +45 offset would be perfect.

Edit: I adjusted PSI again, and the ride is much more compliant and not bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Vivid has some TE’s that are 18x9 +40 and Oakos has some Enkeis 18x9

I myself went with 18x8.5 with a +37 offset and honestly the ride quality got worse(daily driver) due to offset and probably choice if tire size 245/40. IMO, any 18’s with a +45 offset would be perfect.

Edit: I adjusted PSI again, and the ride is much more compliant and not bad.
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll go with konig dekagrams. The offset is 43 which should be close enough.

I was thinking about going with 245s myself. How does the width change the ride quality? I thought the height is what makes the difference.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I think I'll go with konig dekagrams. The offset is 43 which should be close enough.

I was thinking about going with 245s myself. How does the width change the ride quality? I thought the height is what makes the difference.
For me I thought it was offset, finding the right PSI improved ride quality significantly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Has anyone recently had any luck finding 19 inch Advanti DST HY Hybris in stock from a reputable seller? Preferably silver, but haven’t had luck finding them in black either. Tire rack doesn’t list them for the RS anymore.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Has anyone recently had any luck finding 19 inch Advanti DST HY Hybris in stock from a reputable seller? Preferably silver, but haven’t had luck finding them in black either. Tire rack doesn’t list them for the RS anymore.
Still looking myself actually! Cannot find them. Did you have any luck?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Still looking myself actually! Cannot find them. Did you have any luck?
Yeah. I found bought them from TireBuyers.com for $249 each. Sometimes eBay has them. I went with TireBuyers so I could buy 5 and have an extra. I think I found them when I was searching the Advanti item number from their website. A couple of sites didn’t have them listed as fitting for some reason but TireBuyers item number was the same as the advanti website with the specs that fit our cars. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up a set of O.Z. Racing Hyper GT HLT in 18x8. I think these wheels look awesome on a blue RS.

The rims weigh a little less than 20lb, but I didn't weigh them alone. Stock 19" wheels with the PSS tires weigh 52.6lb on my bathroom scale. The OZ wheels with Toyo R888R in 235/40R18 weigh 45.6lb, that's a good 7lb reduction.

TireRack lists the 18x8 +45 Hyper GT HLT's at 19.5 lbs

81 - 94 of 94 Posts