Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has there been any articles on the strength of the transmission, gears, etc for the RS from GKN?

It'd be nice if we didn't have to build the transmission and knew how much torque the gears could take. How much torque has the FoST transmission been shown to take? It seems the MEB guys got lucky in the fact that they share the same transmission as the GT.

It's going to get expensive if the RS needs a gear set and clutch pack upgrade to handle a good amount of torque.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I think the highest wtq I've seen from an ST is in the mid 400's, but also curious about this. I think the trans clutch will start slipping somewhere north of 400 whp/wtq, but who knows about the RDU clutches...That all depends on how robust Ford spec'd it. I've said it before, people have pushed the active diff that's in my car to 700+ whp/wtq.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well here's to dreaming it will reliably hold 550wtq. I'm not too concerned about the clutch, that's an expected wear item. I am however concerned about having to put a gear set in it, which would most likely be straight cut and noisy and expensive.

I can see 1st gear breaking due to the launch control and 3rd or 4th gear breaking because of the torque and load at speed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm interested in this, but not too worried personally. My first year with the car I won't be swapping out the turbo. I'll wait for early adopters like yourself to flesh out all the fine details ;)

Year 1 I'll probably go fbo and an E30 tune. Beyond that I don't have any interest in going beyond 450whp/wtq. This is going to be a long term daily driver and I'd rather have more power under the curve rather than peak numbers.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
The only word I know of yet is that the trans is strengthened. We do not know what, just that it has been, and also the clutch. The RS being AWD does give the grater chance of breaking. My ST has trouble putting 350 lb/ft through the wheels, so the tires take most of the abuse, not the trans or clutch. I am very curious as to what was beefed up and the TQ rating on the trans, hopefully this information will come out eventually.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm interested in this, but not too worried personally. My first year with the car I won't be swapping out the turbo. I'll wait for early adopters like yourself to flesh out all the fine details ;)

Year 1 I'll probably go fbo and an E30 tune. Beyond that I don't have any interest in going beyond 450whp/wtq. This is going to be a long term daily driver and I'd rather have more power under the curve rather than peak numbers.
I forgot to mention, that this will be my daily also ... another concern. Don't let my numbers mislead, I want power under the curve too as you'll see from the setup I end up with. I'll be changing turbos if I do not get the response I want, at the sacrifice of top end if I have to. I want at least 300wtq by 3000rpms, on pump gas.

You might be interested in this @Chrisp as you can see the MEB is producing almost 400wtq at 3000rpms with this upgraded stock turbo on an automatic, which might be very similar to the FoRS stock turbo (although this was on E30 and not pump)

The only word I know of yet is that the trans is strengthened. We do not know what, just that it has been, and also the clutch. The RS being AWD does give the grater chance of breaking. My ST has trouble putting 350 lb/ft through the wheels, so the tires take most of the abuse, not the trans or clutch. I am very curious as to what was beefed up and the TQ rating on the trans, hopefully this information will come out eventually.
So did you hear that the FoRS will use a modified version of the FoST transmission? Similar to the Mr2/All-trac interchangeability? If so, that'd be sweet as far as knowing a little bit about the transmission? Did GKN design the FoST transmission also? I was never clear of GKN designed the entire driveline or from the rear driveshaft back, along with the electronics that control the RDU of course.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I forgot to mention, that this will be my daily also ... another concern. Don't let my numbers mislead, I want power under the curve too as you'll see from the setup I end up with. I'll be changing turbos if I do not get the response I want, at the sacrifice of top end if I have to. I want at least 300wtq by 3000rpms, on pump gas.

You might be interested in this @Chrisp as you can see the MEB is producing almost 400wtq at 3000rpms with this upgraded stock turbo on an automatic, which might be very similar to the FoRS stock turbo (although this was on E30 and not pump)

[Dyno sheet]
Is there a thread somewhere on the Vargas stage 1 kit? If the stage 1 car has FBO then those number are not worth $1400 + install. Or was that JUST the turbo upgrade and all else stock on that car?

I think a true twin scroll kit (eg. Full Race) with an EFR will be able to provide great power under the curve. Probably an EFR 7064 or 7163?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Honestly I don't know. I believe it is a modified ST unit. The only part I am going to assume GKN was involved in would be the PTU. It just has been stated in numerous articles that the trans and clutch have been strengthened.

We are lucky to have a lot of questions answered so far but this is one of my top questions, and more detail about the engine changes.

So did you hear that the FoRS will use a modified version of the FoST transmission? Similar to the Mr2/All-trac interchangeability? If so, that'd be sweet as far as knowing a little bit about the transmission? Did GKN design the FoST transmission also? I was never clear of GKN designed the entire driveline or from the rear driveshaft back, along with the electronics that control the RDU of course.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a thread somewhere on the Vargas stage 1 kit? If the stage 1 car has FBO then those number are not worth $1400 + install. Or was that JUST the turbo upgrade and all else stock on that car?

I think a true twin scroll kit (eg. Full Race) with an EFR will be able to provide great power under the curve. Probably an EFR 7064 or 7163?

Here is the thread Announcing the VTT EBM Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade - 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, GT350, GT500, I4, V6) - Mustang6G.com

I'm thinking a 7670 or 8374 for me, I'm not sure the 7163 could get it done on pump. I've been closely watching the MEB dynos to get an idea.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never driven an ST, so this made me feel good to read ... I hope the RS eclipses the ST in driving experience
Everything You Wanted to Know About the 2013 Ford Focus ST | The Smoking Tire

It looks like the ST uses a Getrag unit (mt285)
SVT Getrag MT285 Tranmission Information Thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Focus St 6 speed Transmission

Looks like the mk2 RS used the same trans as the FoST

Under the skin of the Focus RS | Autocar

Looking at the 2 pictures below, it looks like GKN supplies the PDU/RDU and the PDU bolts to the transmission similar to a transfer case bolts to a different type of 4wd driveline. I cannot find any pictures or information on the FoST to see if the GKN FoST hybrd looks plausible.

Honestly I don't know. I believe it is a modified ST unit. The only part I am going to assume GKN was involved in would be the PTU. It just has been stated in numerous articles that the trans and clutch have been strengthened.

We are lucky to have a lot of questions answered so far but this is one of my top questions, and more detail about the engine changes.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I misread your post a little lol. I thought you said RS not ST. Yes the ST uses a Getrag unit. I have never had an issue with mine. I drive very hard but I am not hard on my equipment, I always rev match up and down and really strive for seamless shifts. One thing I'm hoping the RS wont have and that is a dual mas flywheel. I can literally wait seconds for the revs to drop enough to engage the next gear, it also has to do with emissions, but when you drive a crap load of Corvettes everyday it really makes you jealous of how responsive the revs are to dropping.

So if you like what you read then you won't be disappointed in the RS. My personal opinion of the ST is that it is no where near hardcore enough for me. Amazing car, but I would end up throwing 8K of upgrades on top of what I have already done. It fits perfect in the market in which it was intended as you read vs its competitors. The RS will take it that much farther, well at least going of the past generation reviews and Ford's own words, stating the RS has to be that much of a step from the ST.

I've never driven an ST, so this made me feel good to read ... I hope the RS eclipses the ST in driving experience
Everything You Wanted to Know About the 2013 Ford Focus ST | The Smoking Tire

It looks like the ST uses a Getrag unit (mt285)
SVT Getrag MT285 Tranmission Information Thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Focus St 6 speed Transmission

Looks like the mk2 RS used the same trans as the FoST

Under the skin of the Focus RS | Autocar

Looking at the 2 pictures below, it looks like GKN supplies the PDU/RDU and the PDU bolts to the transmission similar to a transfer case bolts to a different type of 4wd driveline. I cannot find any pictures or information on the FoST to see if the GKN FoST hybrd looks plausible.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have never had an issue with mine. I drive very hard but I am not hard on my equipment, I always rev match up and down and really strive for seamless shifts. One thing I'm hoping the RS wont have and that is a dual mas flywheel. I can literally wait seconds for the revs to drop enough to engage the next gear, it also has to do with emissions, but when you drive a crap load of Corvettes everyday it really makes you jealous of how responsive the revs are to dropping.
Mine has been bullet proof as well. I have 32,000 miles on my ST and well over 200 launches from ProSolo/autx and probably closer to 300. I often am no lift/partial lift shifting too. The ST trans has been butter and haven't had to replace the clutch yet. The factory clutch line also has two restrictors in it (at least those that have the Ford motor mount TSB) that delays the speed of the clutch release.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One thing I'm hoping the RS wont have and that is a dual mas flywheel. I can literally wait seconds for the revs to drop enough to engage the next gear, it also has to do with emissions, but when you drive a crap load of Corvettes everyday it really makes you jealous of how responsive the revs are to dropping.
My current DD is an '05 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon that comes stock with a dual mass flywheel, passengers don't understand I can't just "shift faster".

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Mine has been bullet proof as well. I have 32,000 miles on my ST and well over 200 launches from ProSolo/autx and probably closer to 300. I often am no lift/partial lift shifting too. The ST trans has been butter and haven't had to replace the clutch yet. The factory clutch line also has two restrictors in it (at least those that have the Ford motor mount TSB) that delays the speed of the clutch release.
I refused to have the bulletin done so I wouldn't have the restrictors put in, instead I just replaced all 3 mounts. I do NLS at times as well, but my Balt SS was way more fun when NLS and would shoot flames. Speaking of the Balt that needed and upgraded clutch after a tune, I am surprised at how much TQ and abuse the ST clutch can handle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ran a 12.404 ET back when I put down 352WHP..
I havent run it since... However, with slicks I would be looking at close to a upper 10 sec pass.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I havent run it since... However, with slicks I would be looking at close to a upper 10 sec pass.
I didn't want to sound like a **** before without getting the full story, but I was going to say I'm worried if you ran 12.4 with 500+whp :rolleyes: lol

\

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you detail what is done to the car and the motor and the driveline? Or link to a build thread?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
About this Discussion
32 Replies
12 Participants
Cheapo911
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing