Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change out my trans fluid cause it feels just a little notchy. Was thinking of using ams oil but i am unsure what to use. book spec says 1.9L but i dont see what weight to put in.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
It would be nice if we had a specifications sticky with this, RDU, PDU and other fluid specifications.

I remember briefly glancing at the manual and not seeing fluid weight specifics either.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I'd like to know as well. This trans is quite notchy, but not in a good way. It would be sweet if a simple fluid flush is all it needs.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Amsoil site allows you to look up a car and then determine what oil/fluid to use. Oddly enough, Amsoil does not have a fluid recommendation for our cars so I called them. They told me you have to use what Ford specifies and of course this means it is motorcraft fluid. And he said something very perculiar, it is the same oil used in a dual-clutch trans. Does Ford even make a dual-clutch?

Capacities: MMT6 (6-SPD) 4 pints (2 quarts)
Torques: Manual Transmission Fill Plug...26 ft/lbs Manual Transmission Drain Plug...26 ft/lbs

amsoil >> AMSOIL Products for the 2016 FORD FOCUS (2.3L 4 -cyl Engine Code [H] 99H H Turbo)
I believe this is the trans oil for our cars >> https://k-mansparts.com/motorcraft-dual-clutch-transmission-fluid-xt11qdc-detail.htm

Redline's site also recommends fluids and under transmission it has this note:

Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions. Sorry Red Line does not currently offer a suitable manual transaxle fluid

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it makes u wonder was is so particular about this trans!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
The Amsoil site allows you to look up a car and then determine what oil/fluid to use. Oddly enough, Amsoil does not have a fluid recommendation for our cars so I called them. They told me you have to use what Ford specifies and of course this means it is motorcraft fluid. And he said something very perculiar, it is the same oil used in a dual-clutch trans. Does Ford even make a dual-clutch?

Capacities: MMT6 (6-SPD) 4 pints (2 quarts)
Torques: Manual Transmission Fill Plug...26 ft/lbs Manual Transmission Drain Plug...26 ft/lbs

amsoil >> AMSOIL Products for the 2016 FORD FOCUS (2.3L 4 -cyl Engine Code [H] 99H H Turbo)
I believe this is the trans oil for our cars >> https://k-mansparts.com/motorcraft-dual-clutch-transmission-fluid-xt11qdc-detail.htm

Redline's site also recommends fluids and under transmission it has this note:

Gear Oil for Manual Transmissions. Sorry Red Line does not currently offer a suitable manual transaxle fluid
yes they do under the PowerShift name. Its a dry dual clutch setup and sucks.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
From the 2016 Focus Owner's Manual:

Manual transmission fluid: WSS-M2C200-D2
Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid
XT-11-QDC

·
Registered
722 Posts
Transmission: Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid XT-11-QDC Specification: WSS-M2C200-D2

PTU : Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant Specification: WSL-MC2192-A

RDU : Ford Fluid XY-80W90-QL SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant Specification: WSP-MC2197-A

Have been reading through the shop manual the last few hours and have learned some interesting things. The PTU is cooled by engine coolant. When the ptu approaches the temperature in which it goes into protection it cuts the torque in half for the rear wheels. Eventually shutting down entirely when the threshold is met. The manual also mentioned they went with a lower viscosity transmission fluid for fuel economy. Which might explain why some feel it is notchy

·
Registered
965 Posts
Transmission: Motorcraft Dual Clutch Transmission Fluid XT-11-QDC Specification: WSS-M2C200-D2

PTU : Ford Fluid XY-75W140-QL SAE 75W-140 Synthetic Rear Axle Lubricant Specification: WSL-MC2192-A

RDU : Ford Fluid XY-80W90-QL SAE 80W-90 Premium Rear Axle Lubricant Specification: WSP-MC2197-A

Have been reading through the shop manual the last few hours and have learned some interesting things. The PTU is cooled by engine coolant. When the ptu approaches the temperature in which it goes into protection it cuts the torque in half for the rear wheels. Eventually shutting down entirely when the threshold is met. The manual also mentioned they went with a lower viscosity transmission fluid for fuel economy. Which might explain why some feel it is notchy
So would a bigger radiator help cool the PTU?

·
Registered
722 Posts
Theoretically, but enough to keep it from shutting down for more than a few extra seconds? No clue. A dedicated cooler for its own lubricant would be much more effective. But then you are throwing off all of the ECU's calculations. Since the ptu is running cooler it could think the rdu is as well so you really need to cool both.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Could you please share the link of the shop manual where you read the PTU is cooled by the engine coolant? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
No it would not, unless the coolant wasn't able to pull heat out of the PTU fluid enough, because the air couldn't pull heat out of the coolant quick enough. This doesn't seem to be the issue, it seems to be design related, no one has reported abnormal coolant temps when having an RDU shutdown.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does the PTU take less than a quart of fluid?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I would assume so but the manual does not mention it. I bought two just in case but wont be doing the change for another month

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
See ... this is bull**** that the spec isn't readily available and even more reason we need a specifications thread.

Does the PTU take less than a quart of fluid?

quote=mullick]I would assume so but the manual does not mention it. I bought two just in case but wont be doing the change for another month [/quote]

1 - 20 of 45 Posts