Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I caught wind of this car and I am now super interested. That said, I would love to consolidate what I have. My DD is a G8 GT (highly modded!) and I have a truck to tow my race motorcycle to the track every weekend. Ideal world I sell both, get the RS, put a super hitch and trailer setup and tow my light bike.

Am I crazy? Does anyone know the two capacity?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Been done on an ST. Don't see why not. Big thread here. Focus ST Receiver Hitch - the fun shouldn't end when the road does!!! - Page 3 Hopefully this thread won't turn into a mess like that one did in places.

I tow a small utility trailer all the time with my old faithful '92 Acura Integra. When I raced go karts, I had my cart, easy up, tools, etc... all packed in there. Probably right around 1000 LBS total. Tow's it just fine.

I don't know if I'd tow that trailer with the RS, or get a small trailer to just put track wheels/tires on, tool box, etc. Like this>>
111_trailer_side_lg_zps38b7808c.jpeg

·
Registered
285 Posts
I like the idea as well for karting. The RS has a totally different bumper and exhaust. Will probably need to be a custom affair.....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
No you aren't ... I'll probably add a hitch too. I have one on my Corolla currently, no reason not to do the same for the RS.

So I caught wind of this car and I am now super interested. That said, I would love to consolidate what I have. My DD is a G8 GT (highly modded!) and I have a truck to tow my race motorcycle to the track every weekend. Ideal world I sell both, get the RS, put a super hitch and trailer setup and tow my light bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I haven't been able to see what kind of space there is to work with back there, but with the longitudinally mounted muffler right behind the bumper, it will probably take quite a bit of fabrication work. Having said that, I would totally put one on mine also as long as I didn't have to chop into the rear valance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hopefully some companies make some discreet hitch solutions like they did for the Focus NA & ST. I'm sure it will definitely need to be different to accommodate with all the differences in the RS.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
This is from another thread

Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I pull a custom made wheel trailer with my 2004 Corvette for my track events. But it helps that a hitch company actually offered a standard hitch for my model of Corvette, so nothing had to be fabricated. Looks crazy but anybody who has been to a track has seen some crazy stuff. Nothing like seeing a trailer hitch on a Miata, S2000, Corvette, Mustang and a 911.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Boooom! Wonder what the capacity is?
Well if you are in the US, more than likely 0 lbs. Ford doesn't rate the FoST for towing at all, manual says don't. Funny thing if you look up cars in Europe they are usually rated to tow more than the same exact car here (I think the US is a bit lawsuit happy honestly, probably scares manufacturers away from tow ratings)

The ST is not rated for towing at all, pretty sure my old SVTF wasn't rated for towing either. But the Mk I base focus was rated for 1,000 lbs so I figured with the SVT version having more power, torque and way better brakes, it had to be good for that. I towed with my SVTF all the time:
SVTF_tows_848.jpg

Having hauled up to 1250 lbs gross trailer short distances with the SVTF, I had little doubt the FoST could handle a 800 lb waverunner with 200 lbs trailer and a full tank of gas in the waverunner just fine:
ST_tows_waverunner.jpg

For what it's worth to anyone who doesn't tow regularly, obviously the common sense bit needs to be applied here, plenty of braking distance, don't load down the car if you're towing big loads, etc.

I fully intend to tow with my future RS.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I'll just leave the towing to the Powerstroke Diesel.
Yeah, if the whole RS deals goes south I'll likely buy a used Powerstroke Would love a 93-94 7.3 with turbo and 2 tanks, a trailer and finish the race prep on on the 84 Civic (new higher rpm engine and full cage instead of current roll bar).

If the RS deal continues as planned I'll look into a tools/tires/parts and grill trailer the RS can pull to events. I really like the non-center exhaust exits on the RS for the hitch clearance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Not crazy at all to want a hitch. I want to get a small hitch for a bike rack. Currently have oem roof rails on the STi and and a Thule rack but want to go with a hitch rack this time around if there is a good/clean hitch solution.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
My only issue with hitch bike racks is I've seen taillights on some vehicles almost completely blocked by the bikes they are carrying. I hope to see hitch racks that incorporate LED lights behind the bikes for better safety.

·
Registered
376 Posts
The FoRS may end up with a tow rating due to being AWD. Most FWD cars don't get them just for the fact that they are that way and are a birch to get certified in the US. But since the FoRS will have a loaded axle, I think class 1 would be reasonable. Maybe class 2 with a factory installed hitch system.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I haven't been able to see what kind of space there is to work with back there, but with the longitudinally mounted muffler right behind the bumper, it will probably take quite a bit of fabrication work. Having said that, I would totally put one on mine also as long as I didn't have to chop into the rear valance.
I definitely plan on putting a hitch on mine as well. I've been able to look under one and there's space in between the muffler and rear bumper cover but the diffuser WILL have to get cut in the center to put the square receiver through. It will be right in the middle of the center diffuser rib (think where the fog lamp is on the euro models) because there is no room to hang one between the muffler and diffuser under the bumper.

·
Registered
47 Posts
part of me wants to order the Euro diffuser as a spare part and have it shipped to US. custom weld the hitch and get everything lined up so the class 1 receiver lines up with the hole from that brake light...

Not sure if that's really feasible when you start considering hitch pins and safety chains, but it would be much more subtle looking than the ST hitch that just hangs below everything.

1 - 20 of 231 Posts