Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back i had got a nail in a tire. i had purchased a spare from a jaguar that cleared the brembos on my 16 RS per a forum write up where they said a short distance low speed drive on different size wheel/tire would be ok because the system would detect it and disable awd/stability control or w/e. it of course wanted to pull hard 1 direction, then i could feel it disabling and it drove fine. this was a 5min drive to a close tire shop about 2-3 miles away. after this (new tires installed), i noticed my traction control light coming on while going up/down on ramps on the interstate.. low speeds (40-50mph). used to be able to take these at 70+ easy without that light coming on. i posted to the FB page and instantly everyone just said i was breaking traction and it was the new tires.. well, the issue continued through use of those tires, and the next set, and the next set.. pretty sure its not the dang tires.. i also notice that someone aggressive driving, interstate lane changes and such now feel almost like a loose tire, bad wheel bearing, worn out suspension/steering parts, etc. I've checked these and everything is good. i get a weird fish tail feeling and not just body roll as if the stability control isn't functioning correctly. this only seems to occur at interstate speed. i also get what feels like torque steer when accelerating sometimes. i've never had any codes. haven't played around much in FORScan much other than to enable global windows to see if it'll show any sort of diagnostic info. haven't taken it to ford yet for them to run any diags as i don't trust or like my local dealerships. plan to check my OBDlink/app to see if it can datalog wheel speed sensors as i believe it to be an issue with either those or the module causing the issues.. possibly brakes being applied as part of the stability control. I've googled, searched the fb page, youtube, forums, etc and never found anyone to have an answer. there was 1 similar post on here from 2016 with no solution. it doesn't cut power when it does this btw. if anyone has has experienced this or has any suggestions other than throwing money at it or take it to my dealership, I love to hear it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Get your alignment checked. When I had the traction control flashing on aggressive turns, it was because my alignment was off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get your alignment checked. When I had the traction control flashing on aggressive turns, it was because my alignment was off.
thanks, i actually have that on the to do list. i actually purchased a tenhulzen tool to do my own as well after a local alignment shop jacked up my 68 mustang's suspension and almost caused me to total the car because they didn't tighten things down. i had it checked not long ago and it was perfect straight still and I'm pretty sure it was occurring during that time as well, but I'll confirm to be safe. the TC light occurs during turns that i wouldn't deem "aggressive" though. like a smooth curving road will cause it doing 30mph. a friend also mentioned to me to check the reluctor wheels to make sure metallic brake dust isn't on them that could throw off the readings.. really hoping this obdlink will show speed sensor readings so i can get a better idea of things. thanks again for the advice. I'll report back once its been checked.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Bump - @callofgeorge did you sort this out?

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms and nothing has changed on my car to induce it - same wheel/tires, no mechanical changes. When I take a cloverleaf quickly (sustained steady radius) the TCS light flashes at what seems a very low threshold, and I can feel the car pulling power in little fits and spurts. The obvious answer is "you're going too fast" but like you, I've cornered much harder in this car without this issue. It's cutting in too early. I'm in Sport mode (my usual street setting).

Obviously I don't enjoy this feeling - I know the car has more grip available - and I'm headed to the track in a month, definitely want to have this cleared up. I could see it being the alignment - looking at my notes I've literally never aligned the car since new (at 25k miles now, whoops) but it's never felt that it needed it. Steering tracks straight. Probably a good idea to get it done anyway, but eager to hear if you learned anything.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts

I'm experiencing very similar symptoms and nothing has changed on my car to induce it - same wheel/tires, no mechanical changes. When I take a cloverleaf quickly (sustained steady radius) the TCS light flashes at what seems a very low threshold, and I can feel the car pulling power in little fits and spurts. The obvious answer is "you're going too fast" but like you, I've cornered much harder in this car without this issue. It's cutting in too early. I'm in Sport mode (my usual street setting).

Obviously I don't enjoy this feeling - I know the car has more grip available - and I'm headed to the track in a month, definitely want to have this cleared up. I could see it being the alignment - looking at my notes I've literally never aligned the car since new (at 25k miles now, whoops) but it's never felt that it needed it. Steering tracks straight. Probably a good idea to get it done anyway, but eager to hear if you learned anything.
The traction control light indicates when the TC is intervening. Just because you've cornered harder without TC intervention doesn't mean that the available traction was the same as when the TC didn't intervene. That's the point of it, it's smarter than you when it comes to available traction. TC would be pointless if you were better than it is.

Ciao

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I haven't. still does it. i know my alignment is off and my tires need replacing. im in the process of considering a purchase of some new wheels.. considering 18x9.5 rota grids but torn on the color to go with my white car. wish there were more pics of white focus with bronze/gold grids to see how it looks. don't wanna be called a scooby fan boy (even though that's what i came from) lol. after wheels/tires, i'll do an alignment and report back.
but as for what you were saying @lucky phil yes and no. i know its intervening, but i don't think it's doing it for a valid purpose. i think i've got a buggy speed sensor or something causing a false reading. someone mentioned checking the reluctors that can get metallic break dust build up on them. still need to do that. but i can take a smooth, gradual (non-sharp) turn on a slow curving road at about 20mph and it'll flash TC. 0% chance I'm actually losing traction. I've also noticed the lane change handling at higher speeds on highway/interstate feels really loose. this car used to feel like it was "on rails" even without the suspension stiffened and now i feel like i'll start fish tailing anytime i change lanes quickly or swerve around something in the road. almost like the stability control is jacked.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I haven't. still does it. i know my alignment is off and my tires need replacing. im in the process of considering a purchase of some new wheels.. considering 18x9.5 rota grids but torn on the color to go with my white car. wish there were more pics of white focus with bronze/gold grids to see how it looks. don't wanna be called a scooby fan boy (even though that's what i came from) lol. after wheels/tires, i'll do an alignment and report back.
but as for what you were saying @lucky phil yes and no. i know its intervening, but i don't think it's doing it for a valid purpose. i think i've got a buggy speed sensor or something causing a false reading. someone mentioned checking the reluctors that can get metallic break dust build up on them. still need to do that. but i can take a smooth, gradual (non-sharp) turn on a slow curving road at about 20mph and it'll flash TC. 0% chance I'm actually losing traction. I've also noticed the lane change handling at higher speeds on highway/interstate feels really loose. this car used to feel like it was "on rails" even without the suspension stiffened and now i feel like i'll start fish tailing anytime i change lanes quickly or swerve around something in the road. almost like the stability control is jacked.
Fix your alignment.... When my alignment was off, I would get the TC light flashing when taking one of those long turning onramps too aggressively. Once I got my alignment fixed, the issue went away.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The traction control light indicates when the TC is intervening. Just because you've cornered harder without TC intervention doesn't mean that the available traction was the same as when the TC didn't intervene. That's the point of it, it's smarter than you when it comes to available traction. TC would be pointless if you were better than it is.

Ciao
This is 1:1 on the same corner and same car, conditions. It’s intervening now where it did not previously.

I will start with an alignment since I’m long overdue and go from there.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
This is 1:1 on the same corner and same car, conditions. It’s intervening now where it did not previously.

I will start with an alignment since I’m long overdue and go from there.
Well it'll be informative either way after the wheel alignment. My car flickers the TC light in one particular fast sweeping country road corner near home. The surface isn't terrible but it's not billiard table smooth and a bit choppy on the track of the inside wheels. Much smoother for the outside track wheels. Fine everywhere else.

Ciao

·
Registered
357 Posts
Update: I got an alignment, no change. The car was within spec except for front toe, which was very slightly out. Might just be the tires.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Could be a dirty ABS sensor so the car is getting incorrect information about the speed of that corner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts