1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
first time I have seen mention of this. sort of disappointed the car comes with limitations, but not completely surprised that the car would need supporting mods to hang out at the track all day.
ford does give some great advice regarding the steering rack overheating though. steering gear temps can be reduced by.... slowing down. :upset:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if Ford will have a factory kit available for coolers.

The Camaro SS just caught up a little bit for me.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Per Máté Petrány, the car already has the aforementioned cooler. This is the only reference that I have heard of the car coming with an RDU cooler.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Doubt it. He probably means the find around the RDU - we have never seen the RDU with anything that could be a cooler for it. I assume it comes ready/ was fitted with one extra for valencia, as in to take the day long track beating.

But yes, I cant wait to buy new parts and put them on the goddamn car!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
It has been stated by Ford that it comes with a transmission cooler, that is all I know and have yet to seen pictures to verify that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
GKN hearsay via Jalopnik said:
the diff in that car can handle more power but when we did durability testing on it we found we needed to add a rear oil cooler to it . that message that popped up meant it got to 160 c . the fix was a new housing with more fins . the rear end will only take 2300nm so the front wheels will get more power if you tune it.
Source

The translation here is the RDU is perfectly fine on a stock 350 HP setup. Only when they tried more power did it then need an external cooler.

The comment about the rear end only being able to handle 2300 NM might be legit. That's only about 40% of the transmission torque in 1st gear, but it's 97% of transmission torque in 3rd gear. It makes me wonder if the RDU is slipping the clutches in 1st and 2nd at WOT to not grenade itself.

·
Registered
471 Posts
"You must replace the rear drive unit fluid after 800 km of track use, or if the following message appears in the information display, whichever occurs first."

Will you guys be replacing fluids yourself or taking it to FORD?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking at this pic, I see no cooler lines or cooler. I don't even see a convenient place to mount in the back away from the exhaust.

z4nc2dgu0en3mzq5s3v0.jpg

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Of course he wrote this.
Basically, it’s an electro-hydraulic system with torque vectoring, consisting of a rear drive unit capable of overspeeding the rear wheels at a 1.8 ratio, with wet clutches on both sides and a separate cooler, connected to what acts as an open front diff with brake-based torque vectoring by a three-piece driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
It slunds like doing some normal driving is better than resting. You want that air flowing over everything and cooling it down.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
About this Discussion
55 Replies
27 Participants
thirdgen89gta
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing