Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Track tire size - 19x8.5 or 18x8?

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  seniorgeek 
#1 · (Edited)
So I’m looking at getting a set of dedicated wheels and tires for track days and autocross. Want to stay Ds and whatever stock would be if I start doing time trials too.

I know a wider 8.5 or even 9 would be better, but basically everything of that size is 19”. I’d planned on going down to 18” for weight and tire selection, plus price.

Any thoughts on that? What have you all done.

I posted in tires but I’m looking for function so thought racing might be a better sub to post in.

#2 ·
So I’m looking at getting a set of dedicated wheels and tires for track days and autocross.

I know a wider 8.5 or even 9 would be better, but basically everything of that size is 19”. I’d planned on going down to 18” for weight and tire selection, plus price.

Any thoughts on that? What have you all done.

I posted in tires but I’m looking for function so thought racing might be a better sub to post in.
Stick with 18x8 if you want o AutoX in DS(street class ). If that doesn’t matter go 18x8.5 or 18x9. (19s just weight and cost )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If you're not planning on messing with the suspension and want to compete in DS... stay 18x8. If you don't care about that stuff, you'll be pushed up to STU. Either way, 18's are going to be the better buy regardless. I think the only folks that are running 19's at the track are folks who run their stocks or have invested in even bigger brake kits than the Brembos.

#4 ·
I'm going to be consistent with what most people on here are telling you. Stick to D Street until you have a few seasons under your belt. Don't mess with mods like anti roll bars, tunes, intercoolers, wheel spacers, etc. Stick to the street class rules which are rather minimal. Street class allows for you to change your wheels (+/- 1" in diameter & OEM width with +/- 7mm of offset). Be careful selecting wheels with the wrong offset! Offset is a big deal considering that it can widen your track width. A 7mm difference in offset will result in a 1.4 cm (over half inch) increase in track width.

You can also change your front and rear shocks, although I have not found any reasonable aftermarket shocks/struts that are not coilovers or that don't include springs (which is illegal in street class). You can change your front or rear anti roll bar, but stick to stock until you learn how to drive in autocross. You can get a catback exhaust, but I have to say that I'm starting to regret getting such a loud exhaust. I busted the decibel meter at an event and got a pass, but they could have disqualified my winning run over it. Now I have to invest time and resources in making my exhaust quieter. Furthermore, it is easier to hear your tires throughout the course when you don't have a loud exhaust blaring in the background.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.