81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
What wheels, size etc?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
My wear looks about the same but a little more edge wear. , I run 38 cold. After a 20 minute track time,pressure is around 42-44 an tire temperature at 200-225.
Interesting, those pressures seem high compared to what I've been running (36F/34R hot), granted we are running two different tires and sizes, so it might be irrelevant. Are you happy with those pressures? Are you feeling like you are understeering/oversteering more than you'd like? High pressures can give crisp turn-in but you lose some grip around the corner. Same way goes from going from 19's down to 18's, with more sidewall there to deflect. I prefer some sacrifice on the turn-in for overall grip, so run the 18's (which are also cheaper) with lower pressures.

Another factor that can cause so much wear is overdriving the tires. Are you constantly understeering into a corner? Are your tires screeching around some corners or are they constantly howling like chewbacca?

I'll also mention that I always rotate my tires front to back mid-way thru the trackday, making sure that they get equal amounts of heat cycles. Since the hankooks have symmetrical thread, I'm also planning on flipping them on the wheel to eat up what's left of the inside (will be outside) shoulder and get a couple more track days out of them.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
What wheels, size etc?
Wheels are 18x8 +45 OZ Hyper GTs with 245/40-18 Hankook R-S4's but used to run Falken RT615K+ of the same size a few years before that, then the stock 19x8 +50 wheels with 235/35-19 Federal RS-RRs before that.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
@Camper Van Someren i say yes absolutely I can. My buddy suggested taking the wing off next time between sessions to really test it, which I’ll do October 4th.

I already took the wing/splitter off at home since I don’t need them for daily driving, and the drive to work was insane. On the highway around 70mph the car felt much slipperier, didn’t have to input any throttle to cruise. Whereas with aero I needed to put maybe 15% more throttle just to maintain that speed.

my average economy went from 10.2L/100km to 12.0L/100km (23mpg to 19.5mpg)

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
@Camper Van Someren i say yes absolutely I can. My buddy suggested taking the wing off next time between sessions to really test it, which I’ll do October 4th.

I already took the wing/splitter off at home since I don’t need them for daily driving, and the drive to work was insane. On the highway around 70mph the car felt much slipperier, didn’t have to input any throttle to cruise. Whereas with aero I needed to put maybe 15% more throttle just to maintain that speed.

my average economy went from 10.2L/100km to 12.0L/100km (23mpg to 19.5mpg)

This with the RDU tune already?

Nice vid!

·
Registered
286 Posts

Here's my best lap of Laguna from last week. Just a GoPro in the windshield, no cool graphics or lap timer info. Brakes were pretty toast at this point but a clean lap overall.

Fun fact: at ~1:49.9 I am just about as fast as Randy Pobst around this track... when he's in a Focus ST. The difference between a pro and a chump!

·
Registered
430 Posts

Here's my best lap of Laguna from last week. Just a GoPro in the windshield, no cool graphics or lap timer info. Brakes were pretty toast at this point but a clean lap overall.

Fun fact: at ~1:49.9 I am just about as fast as Randy Pobst around this track... when he's in a Focus ST. The difference between a pro and a chump!
It's not a race. It's making sure you're improving and learning each time you get out there.
It seems from the video that your coasting a fair bit. Get yourself an track app on your phone and see where you can improve.

Is your car stock? Suspension?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 125 Posts