Ford Focus RS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bingo13 - just read your post. I ended up with exactly your recommendations - but will have to wait on the girodisc two piece upgrade. SS lines and Castrol SRF are sitting in the garage and DBA t3 4000's are supposed to show up today.

I think Autoclub speedway was particularly hard on brakes - so this combo might help with an easier WillowSprings day.

If I'm going to end up with new calipers anyway - I would love to hear what your (and your friend's) experience is with Racing Brake and AP Racing. Otherwise I'm just sifting through pages trying to figure it out. Scoped a Brembo GTR front upgrade for $8k... wow.

Thx again for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hawk told me today - RS pads "in a month or so".
My local shop had a chat with Hawk today, and apparently they’re looking to start production in the first week of May and they should be shipping starting the end of May. But if they’ve been making similar promises before, I would take that with a grain of salt. They did mention that the demand for RS pads is really high, so they’re taking it seriously.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Does anyone else feel like there is a dearth of pad options for the Focus RS even after almost two years in the market? (At least in a Street / Track friendly compound). Performance Friction only makes pads for the MK.1 RS, Hawk is still AWOL, and the most promissing Carbotech and EBC seem to be more Track oriented. I daily my RS and hit the track 2-3 times a year, so far only with OEM pads, but want better Track performance.

What are you guys doing that DD the RS for brake pad options? Should I stick with OEM's if I don't track that much?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Does anyone else feel like there is a dearth of pad options for the Focus RS even after almost two years in the market? (At least in a Street / Track friendly compound). Performance Friction only makes pads for the MK.1 RS, Hawk is still AWOL, and the most promissing Carbotech and EBC seem to be more Track oriented. I daily my RS and hit the track 2-3 times a year, so far only with OEM pads, but want better Track performance.

What are you guys doing that DD the RS for brake pad options? Should I stick with OEM's if I don't track that much?
When I was trying to decide what pads to get, I searched for graphs that show coefficient of friction in relation to temperature. I had used several different Wilwood compounds (Poly A and BP-10) in the past on my SVT Contour, so I knew sorta where I wanted to be for useable temperature. I decided on Mountune's track pads, and I'm really happy with their drivability on the street. They only thing they could do better is not throw so much dust. They're quiet, with only a very occasional very minor squeal with light pedal pressure. I haven't tracked the car since I installed them, but I'm hoping to get out this summer at least once.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone know if the brake pads on our Focus RS are the same as any other car or are they Focus RS only ?
Different cars have different brakes, so they require different brake pads. The Focus RS front pads are unique. The rear brake pads are the same between the Focus RS and the Focus ST.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I played with a few pad options. I wanted something great on the track and whatever on the street. I went through EBC yellows in less than a day at Fontana. Switched to DBA one piece rotors (great value) and Ferodo DS 1.11 pads (pricey but worth it). They've been through three track days and probably have one more left in them. The brakes have BITE and are awesome on the track. They're noisy on the street at very low speeds coming to a stop, but whatever. I know you're after something more street friendly, but I added my experience in case it was helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I played with a few pad options. I wanted something great on the track and whatever on the street. I went through EBC yellows in less than a day at Fontana. Switched to DBA one piece rotors (great value) and Ferodo DS 1.11 pads (pricey but worth it). They've been through three track days and probably have one more left in them. The brakes have BITE and are awesome on the track. They're noisy on the street at very low speeds coming to a stop, but whatever. I know you're after something more street friendly, but I added my experience in case it was helpful.
How are those DS 1.11 from cold? I am running DS 2500 and migh want to try something a little more agresive next time. My concern is if they are unsafe on emergency braking from cold on the highway.

Any other drawback on the street other than being noisy?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bingo13 - just read your post. I ended up with exactly your recommendations - but will have to wait on the girodisc two piece upgrade. SS lines and Castrol SRF are sitting in the garage and DBA t3 4000's are supposed to show up today.

I think Autoclub speedway was particularly hard on brakes - so this combo might help with an easier WillowSprings day.

If I'm going to end up with new calipers anyway - I would love to hear what your (and your friend's) experience is with Racing Brake and AP Racing. Otherwise I'm just sifting through pages trying to figure it out. Scoped a Brembo GTR front upgrade for $8k... wow.

Thx again for the help.
Look at the GT-S upgrade. Similar design with the gun drilled stainless inserts for heat protection but at about half the price.

Here: https://blog.racetechnologies.com/2018/01/12/brembo-unveils-all-new-track-day-and-club-racing-calipers/

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
EBC - Yellow 5 sessions only at thunderhill west
OEM- 3 track days held itself pretty well
GLOC R12- 3 Awesome track days probably 1 more but decided its time thunderhill east
GLOC R16- 3 Awesome track days with 1 being Laguna Seca well known for eating through brakes FAST!

Cant wait to use my new set of R16 again!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Quite a few RS owners asking us about the "dedicated" track pads (for OE calipers and RB caliper kits), I am pleased to announce that we have since worked with Cobalt Friction to make their XR1 compound for RS OE calipers (Front PD1997 only) and RB calipers (4 & 6 pot).

We now have Cobalt XR1 pads for RB 4 (PD1149) and 6 pot (PD1666M) calipers are now in stock, and expect to receive OE caliper pads in about 2 weeks (mid July). Here is the performance characteristics of XR1.
https://www.cobaltfriction.com/Articles.asp?ID=252

Cobalt Friction although is not as well known as those brands you have learned, but we consider it has the best friction to RB's iron rotor metallurgy based on our experience in a BMW M3/M4 dedicated club race car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i just posted in another thread, but I used the mountune track pads.. 2 day event at VIR..i was hard on the brakes (I posted vids on youtube).. they held up great.. supersport tires and motul rbf660

I am debating the ss brake lines though..

·
Registered
5 Posts
How are those DS 1.11 from cold? I am running DS 2500 and migh want to try something a little more agresive next time. My concern is if they are unsafe on emergency braking from cold on the highway.

Any other drawback on the street other than being noisy?
They are fine cold, probably eat a little more into the rotor than when warm, but not too bad for a race pad. And of course they dust a lot. I was on the Mountune Race pads (great track/street pad) and just needed more stopping power at the longer tracks so I went with the DS1.11. If you are seriously tracking the car and running semi slicks, you will want this pad. Otherwise, the Moutune's are a great alternative for shorter tracks and especially for noise control on the street.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi all,

Hoping you can help me come to a decision on brake pads. I've read through this thread and the thread I linked below, and am still unsure of what I want to do :).

My goal is to do a lot of track days/autocross (at LEAST 1/month) while the weather is nice in Chicago . Last summer I did 2 track days, and 2 autocrosses, but I plan to do much more during summer 2019. Last summer, I installed SS brake lines and flushed the system with Motul RBF600 (going to Castrol SRF in a few weeks). My OEM pads have been used for DD for ~25K miles, and for all of the track days and autocrosses I have attended since I got the car in 2017. I am not that hard on the brakes, but as my driving improves I suspect I will want to brake harder/later. I have not had any issues with the OEM pads thus far, but I am looking to upgrade for track days to be on the safe side. This is my first time considering anything like a "track pad", so any input would be appreciated :).

In my mind, my goal is to order two sets of pads (one for street and one for track) and be able to swap them back and forth. That being said, here is what I believe are my three options:

1) Order a new set of OEM pads and just continue to use these for DD and track days. Replace as necessary.
-Pros: They haven't let me down yet. So far I am a really big fan of the stopping power and feel of the OEM pads. They are also relatively inexpensive. Given my current driving, I know I can roll up to the track with these pads, track the car, and drive it home with no troubles.
-Cons: I foresee myself finding the limits of these pads this summer, and I would prefer not to find it at the end of a long straight :). Also, these pads are dusty. I can live with it, but I would not be opposed to something with less dust for DD.

2) Order a second set of OEM pads for DD, and a set of something else for track days. Considering G-LOC R12s. I don't really know much about track pads, but from what I've gathered here, the G-LOCs or Carbotechs are a popular choice. I don't think I drive as hard as some of you, so I think I would be ok with R12s all around.
-Cons: I believe that the R12s are not compatible with the OEM compound, so I would either need to "clean" my rotors every time I swap them, or have a dedicated set of rotors. I would prefer to swap pads only for track days (if this is feasible).

3) Order a set of G-LOC GS-1 for DD, and a set of G-LOC R12s for the track
-Pros: I THINK this gives me what I am looking for. My understanding is that if I swap between these two sets of pads, I do not need to swap rotors, and just a simple re-bedding should do the trick. Can anyone speak do this? Also, I believe the GS-1's should have similar stopping power to OEM, and have less dust. Would the GS-1's be ok for autocross? Again, I'm not super hard on the brakes, no where near as hard as during track days.
-Cons: Overall the most expensive option I listed. Additionally, since I don't have any first hand experience with the GS-1's, I'm afraid I won't like them compared to the OEM pads. I'm hesitant to switch from something that I know works just fine. Don't fix it if it's not broken....right??

Sorry for the novel, but again any input is appreciated. Thanks! :)

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/29-focus-rs-brakes/73138-recommendation-brake-pads-3.html

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
3) Order a set of G-LOC GS-1 for DD, and a set of G-LOC R12s for the track
-Pros: I THINK this gives me what I am looking for. My understanding is that if I swap between these two sets of pads, I do not need to swap rotors, and just a simple re-bedding should do the trick. Can anyone speak do this? Also, I believe the GS-1's should have similar stopping power to OEM, and have less dust. Would the GS-1's be ok for autocross? Again, I'm not super hard on the brakes, no where near as hard as during track days.
-Cons: Overall the most expensive option I listed. Additionally, since I don't have any first hand experience with the GS-1's, I'm afraid I won't like them compared to the OEM pads. I'm hesitant to switch from something that I know works just fine. Don't fix it if it's not broken....right??

^This is the route I took (GS-1 for daily and R12/R10 F/R for the track). You are correct that both have compatible transfer layers (technically, they are also compatible to Carbotechs) and I specifically went with this option because of this. Swapping rotors is slightly more involved with this car than my previous (BRZ, which i regularly swapped rotors and pads for trackdays) so it was worth it. So far the GS-1's have been comparable to the OEMs bite-wise, about the same with the dust as well. I couldn't tell you how they perform at autox since I haven't done so yet.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My goal is to do a lot of track days/autocross (at LEAST 1/month) while the weather is nice in Chicago . Last summer I did 2 track days, and 2 autocrosses, but I plan to do much more during summer 2019.

https://www.focusrs.org/forum/29-focus-rs-brakes/73138-recommendation-brake-pads-3.html
Stop clubbing seals at the windy city miata autox events and come play with the SCCA or TSSCC! We have events in April and May. You'll go against the top drivers in the area and it will greatly improve your skills over time! See ya out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
^This is the route I took (GS-1 for daily and R12/R10 F/R for the track). You are correct that both have compatible transfer layers (technically, they are also compatible to Carbotechs) and I specifically went with this option because of this. Swapping rotors is slightly more involved with this car than my previous (BRZ, which i regularly swapped rotors and pads for trackdays) so it was worth it. So far the GS-1's have been comparable to the OEMs bite-wise, about the same with the dust as well. I couldn't tell you how they perform at autox since I haven't done so yet.
Thanks for the feedback. This is the option I am leaning towards, but I am still a tad hesitant. I'm going to do a bit more research before I pull the trigger on anything. But how do you like the GS-1's overall? Do you think they would be ok in dry/wet/snow? I drive the RS year round in Chicago, so I want to make sure whatever I put on for street pads won't let me down :).

Does anyone know if there are any track pads that are compatible with the OEM pads? Basically something that would let me swap pads without changing/sanding/turning rotors every time. This would be my ideal option, but I'm not sure that it exists.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stop clubbing seals at the windy city miata autox events and come play with the SCCA or TSSCC! We have events in April and May. You'll go against the top drivers in the area and it will greatly improve your skills over time! See ya out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Hahah!! We'll see, I like the Miata guys :wink-new:! I am doing SCCA open track days throughout the summer though

81 - 100 of 117 Posts