Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good affordable helmet for use with both auto-x and track days. I would like to get an open face but are those allowed in track days??

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think so, but not sure. Probably depends on the organization. I wear my Shoei-brand matte black motorcycle helmet and it's awesome to get a little more use out of it/play double duty.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think so, but not sure. Probably depends on the organization. I wear my Shoei-brand matte black motorcycle helmet and it's awesome to get a little more use out of it/play double duty.
It does depend greatly on the organization. The majority out there will not allow a motorcycle helmet in a car. They are designed to take a different sort of impact than a auto racing helmet. Whatever you get, make sure it's compatible with some sort of neck restraint system. They save lives.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just start doing autocross this year and here is what I got
https://www.google.com/search?q=pyrotect+open+face+sa2010&sa=X&biw=360&bih=336&tbs=vw:g&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=1377295033031307020&prds=of:1,num:1&ved=0CN4DEII2MARqFQoTCNz7u4L3jskCFQfdYwodoFcN7Q&ei=z6RGVpzYHYe6jwOgr7XoDg
Open face is easier to breath. Full face has better protection in case there is something fry to you on the track and go through your wind sheild . also motorcycle one will be cheaper but most track event won't allow. If you are buying brand new, make sure u get SA2015 so it will last more events.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just start doing autocross this year and here is what I got
https://www.google.com/search?q=pyrotect+open+face+sa2010&sa=X&biw=360&bih=336&tbs=vw:g&tbm=shop&prmd=sivn&srpd=1377295033031307020&prds=of:1,num:1&ved=0CN4DEII2MARqFQoTCNz7u4L3jskCFQfdYwodoFcN7Q&ei=z6RGVpzYHYe6jwOgr7XoDg
Open face is easier to breath. Full face has better protection in case there is something fry to you on the track and go through your wind sheild . also motorcycle one will be cheaper but most track event won't allow. If you are buying brand new, make sure u get SA2015 so it will last more events.
Yah im looking for something like that. Ill definitely go with an SA rating, but i swear i remember someone telling me that open face is not allowed at some track day events.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yah im looking for something like that. Ill definitely go with an SA rating, but i swear i remember someone telling me that open face is not allowed at some track day events.
I'd check with the local groups that run track days in your area. There are LOTS of clubs/entities that do, and they all allow different things. A compromise might be a closed face helmet with a huge sheild, like the Bell Sport EV. And it's a nicely priced helmet.

bell-sport-ev-blk-2.jpg
Sport EV

The one area I NEVER tell anyone to skimp in is safety. You only have one brain, and you can phuque one up pretty good with a nice knock to the head. I'd stick with well known names, and equally as important, find a helmet that fits your head. For me, on a Motorcycle it was always Arai Helmets. They just fit the shape of my dome well. For karting and cars, it's always been an SA rated Bell. They also fit me well. For some reason, a Simpson helmet always felt like a stack of 2x4 scraps ziptied and duct taped to my head. But that's just the shape of my head. You should find one that's "comfortably snug". It should be just shy of tight. You ought to be able to slip a finger between your cheek and the helmet, but no more. At least that's my guide. ;-)

A basic guide to Bell fitment/sizing here> Customer Service | Sizing | Bell Racing Helmets

Here's a quick video that give a great visual on how to try one on and get a helmet that FITS! >

The most important thing to consider now is what kkco said. Make sure you're looking at an SA2015 helmet and NOT an SA2010. It will be more expensive, but you're buying yourself 5 years of use before the helmet ages out. Remember, only one dome.... take care of it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
autox'd for years with an open
switched to a closed and drove much better since.
opens are comfortable, but a closed allowed me to focus better by blocking my field of vision a bit so my brain doesnt process stuff I dont need to know.

also, if you ever go karting, you cant run an open and it sucks to use the loaner helmets with a baklava vs your own personal helmet that doesnt smell like raw onions and the sweat of the 30 racers before you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
More often than not, a group that has an issue with open face is to specifically address open top cars. Never had a group I've run with have any other condition besides up to dat SA rated helmets...even for convertibles.

I've been tracking Miatas for years, and the only issues I have had was requirements around arm restraints.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What's a good affordable helmet for use with both auto-x and track days. I would like to get an open face but are those allowed in track days??
You really have to check with your local track groups. Some groups refuse to allow open face, some don't care. I would suggest an Snell SA helmet over an Snell M though as that's more likely to be a rule than the open/closed face design issue. Personally I run a closed face because so much **** (rubber normally) flys in through the open window that I hated using an open face the one day I did on Sebring. If you want a helmet to be good for ~10 years from now go with an SA2015. I switch helmets every 5 years usually but I use mine a LOT so after 5 years I just like switching to a new one. If you want to save some cash, you can do an SA2010 for now.

A lot of it then comes down to weight, the cheaper helmets just tend to be heavier. Not an issue when it is being used for autocrossing, but neck fatigue/headaches when heavy helmets are used is a real thing and it kinda sucks.

The biggest issue though is to find a place where you can try on helmets and make sure that it fits correctly. Fit is a big deal.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You really have to check with your local track groups. Some groups refuse to allow open face, some don't care. I would suggest an Snell SA helmet over an Snell M though as that's more likely to be a rule than the open/closed face design issue. Personally I run a closed face because so much **** (rubber normally) flys in through the open window that I hated using an open face the one day I did on Sebring. If you want a helmet to be good for ~10 years from now go with an SA2015. I switch helmets every 5 years usually but I use mine a LOT so after 5 years I just like switching to a new one. If you want to save some cash, you can do an SA2010 for now.

A lot of it then comes down to weight, the cheaper helmets just tend to be heavier. Not an issue when it is being used for autocrossing, but neck fatigue/headaches when heavy helmets are used is a real thing and it kinda sucks.

The biggest issue though is to find a place where you can try on helmets and make sure that it fits correctly. Fit is a big deal.
Never thought about rubber coming through the window!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Go with a closed face helmet. No open face helmets allowed at any jersey tracks(if you ever get a chance to go to NJMP Thunderbolt, do it. It's worth the drive). Try and get a helmet with a SA2015 rating(kinda guarantees it was made in 2015). Some organizations require helmet replacement after 5 years. Sometimes the cheapest/on sale helmets have older ratings. Most all new helmets have pre drilled holes so you can use a HANS device in the future, it requires a full harness tho. Good luck dude, just get out there and drive whatever you got.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So I have a Bell Star helmet with the transitions shield from my motorcycle days, think that would work for track days (I'm not AutoXing this car as long as it is my DD)?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
So I have a Bell Star helmet with the transitions shield from my motorcycle days, think that would work for track days (I'm not AutoXing this car as long as it is my DD)?
Is it a M2010 helmet? If so it'll depend on the group. Autocross groups allow it for sure though you don't plan on that for some reason. Some track groups allow M helmets and some dont so it'll be best to check with your local organizers on that.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Is it a M2010 helmet? If so it'll depend on the group. Autocross groups allow it for sure though you don't plan on that for some reason. Some track groups allow M helmets and some dont so it'll be best to check with your local organizers on that.
I don't want to AutoX because my RS will be my daily driver and my only car. When I get a new DD in a few years (I'll never sell this thing EVER) I am definitely looking into AutoX for the RS. And I believe it is an M2010 but I'm not at home to check for sure. So basically it depends on the track what kind of helmet they allow. Anybody know if they do the transition visor for the Bell closed face car helmets? I hate wearing sunglasses in helmets.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I don't want to AutoX because my RS will be my daily driver and my only car. When I get a new DD in a few years (I'll never sell this thing EVER) I am definitely looking into AutoX for the RS. And I believe it is an M2010 but I'm not at home to check for sure. So basically it depends on the track what kind of helmet they allow. Anybody know if they do the transition visor for the Bell closed face car helmets? I hate wearing sunglasses in helmets.
Autocross isn't that rough on the car. More likely that an incident on track will cause far more damage than an autocross incident (although I've seen rollovers at autocrosses also).

I don't know about transition visors but they do have tinted visors for sure. I use a clear one because I race in endurance series and often am racing at night and switching visors sucks :) Transition lenses in cars aren't great either because of the UV glass cuts down on how well transition lenses work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Autocross isn't that rough on the car. More likely that an incident on track will cause far more damage than an autocross incident (although I've seen rollovers at autocrosses also).

I don't know about transition visors but they do have tinted visors for sure. I use a clear one because I race in endurance series and often am racing at night and switching visors sucks :) Transition lenses in cars aren't great either because of the UV glass cuts down on how well transition lenses work.
Good to know about the UV blocking, might just have to go with the Stig setup then.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've been using a HJC AR 10 II for 5+ years now with no issues, although depending on your fitness you may get a sore neck with a heavier helmet (or you can opt to wear a neck collar for support).

·
Registered
287 Posts
i ordered a SA2015 Bell helmet around mid-december which i found out after the fact has a back order of about 2 months. skip forward to last friday when i received an email from distributor saying that it was going to be delayed another couple months. I should have mine around april, and i don't need it until may/june, but the whole thing still sucks... =/
He said that they have been having problems with many of the SA2015 Helmets. " Most of the manufactures are having trouble getting them in stock." anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ordered a SA2015 Bell helmet around mid-december which i found out after the fact has a back order of about 2 months. skip forward to last friday when i received an email from distributor saying that it was going to be delayed another couple months. I should have mine around april, and i don't need it until may/june, but the whole thing still sucks... =/
He said that they have been having problems with many of the SA2015 Helmets. " Most of the manufactures are having trouble getting them in stock." anyone have any thoughts on this?
Probably pretty common every time one of the ratings expires.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Probably pretty common every time one of the ratings expires.
the guy did not make it sound like they were out of stock, he made it sound more like he never had any... this is from saferacer

"We wanted to give you our latest update that we got from Bell on the back order of your helmet. They have pushed the back order date to sometime in March or April. Let us know if this will not work for you and if there is any other helmet that you would like to possibly check on. Sorry for all the inconvenience that this has caused you. Thank you for your patience with us on these. "

"It is really hard to say what the hold up has been with the SA2015 helmets. Its not only Bell that is having the issue with them. Most of the manufactures are having trouble getting them in stock."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
19 Participants
yogiRS
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing