Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I like seeing cars like this, even if we don't get them, though I prefer we do. It shows there are still people that work for these big companies that love fun cars, and able to sell the bean counters on there being a market, or enough positive image from it to help the brands other offerings.
I think the reason I like cars like the Yaris GR-4 is because they go against the conventional way of making a product.
Normally Sales and Marketing define the demographic and price range, accounting sets the profit margin and costs, and poor engineering has to make everything work with the budget they're given.

With the Yaris GR-4, Engineering is taking the reins, and accounting and marketing are left to pick up the pieces.
It looks like the car was built mostly to accommodate Toyota's rally ream first and foremost.

That's why automotive journalists are so confused about this car, saying it's too expensive and "what's the demographic?".

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
That's why automotive journalists are so confused about this car, saying it's too expensive and "what's the demographic?".
eff the non-car enthusiast journalist. I, and about any other driver that likes to "drive", would be in that demographic. If that came the states it would be a car for me to consider as a new pizza delivery car, could retire my old 98 Civic coupe with almost 270k miles and still going strong delivery car, and would give me a reason to get into rally racing if it comes well setup for that. I have to have a 5dr hatch as the family car, hence the RS.

·
Registered
58 Posts
eff the non-car enthusiast journalist. I, and about any other driver that likes to "drive", would be in that demographic. If that came the states it would be a car for me to consider as a new pizza delivery car, could retire my old 98 Civic coupe with almost 270k miles and still going strong delivery car, and would give me a reason to get into rally racing if it comes well setup for that. I have to have a 5dr hatch as the family car, hence the RS.
There's already a petition that was started to bring the Yaris GR4 to North America and Canada. 4,384 people have already signed onto it, but a Toyota North America spokeperson has responded saying "It’s highly unlikely we will bring that vehicle to the U.S."

·
Registered
679 Posts
There's already a petition that was started to bring the Yaris GR4 to North America and Canada. 4,384 people have already signed onto it, but a Toyota North America spokeperson has responded saying "It’s highly unlikely we will bring that vehicle to the U.S."

Whatever I’ll sign it anyway

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not crazy about the looks but I'd still own the hell out of this thing if it ever came here. 0-60 times seem a bit high for this power, weight and awd to me. Maybe it's geared tight and it's two shifts to 60?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
With the Yaris GR-4, Engineering is taking the reins, and accounting and marketing are left to pick up the pieces.
"It’s highly unlikely we will bring that vehicle to the U.S."
Guess accounting and marketing got what they wanted after all... ;)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Which journalists? Every article I've read on it (on mainstream publications like C&D, R&T, and Autoblog among others) are gushing over it with envy. I can't picture any knowledgable enthusiast questioning this car unless they're boomers with a V8 fetish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Which journalists? Every article I've read on it (on mainstream publications like C&D, R&T, and Autoblog among others) are gushing over it with envy. I can't picture any knowledgable enthusiast questioning this car unless they're boomers with a V8 fetish.
I think overall the reviews I've read have been positive. Carsales, Caradvice, whichcar (Australian publications) do seem pretty worried about pricing though. And you can see they are having some problems trying to work out where it fits in the market.

"Price could be astronomical" - Caradvice
"Reading between the lines, chances are the Toyota GR Yaris could blow the Richter scale on price"
"Given the GR Yaris is a two-door, four-seater city car, we reckon it needs to be priced closer to $30,000 than $50,000. For all its engineering achievements, it will be price that determines if it’s a winner in showrooms"

"Serious concerns over pricing" - Carsales
"unconfirmed rumours suggest Toyota plans to charge a hefty premium for its hottest Yaris ever, which could position it deep into Golf GTI and even R territory. Depending final Australian specs, that could see it priced anywhere between $40,000 and $55,000"

As a reference point, when the Mk3 Ford Focus RS was released brand new in Australia, it was priced at $50,990 AUD.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think overall the reviews I've read have been positive. Carsales, Caradvice, whichcar (Australian publications) do seem pretty worried about pricing though. And you can see they are having some problems trying to work out where it fits in the market.

"Price could be astronomical" - Caradvice
"Reading between the lines, chances are the Toyota GR Yaris could blow the Richter scale on price"
"Given the GR Yaris is a two-door, four-seater city car, we reckon it needs to be priced closer to $30,000 than $50,000. For all its engineering achievements, it will be price that determines if it’s a winner in showrooms"

"Serious concerns over pricing" - Carsales
"unconfirmed rumours suggest Toyota plans to charge a hefty premium for its hottest Yaris ever, which could position it deep into Golf GTI and even R territory. Depending final Australian specs, that could see it priced anywhere between $40,000 and $55,000"

As a reference point, when the Mk3 Ford Focus RS was released brand new in Australia, it was priced at $50,990 AUD.

I have no clue what the norms for Australian pricing is, but I don't see this Yaris costing much more than a Subaru STI for most markets. That mid-engine Hyundai is the one to worry about. It will undoubtedly be priced a segment above the Focus RS.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If people bought the ‘final edition’ evo X for thousands more than a new foRS, I don’t have any worry this will sell.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts