Ford Focus RS Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Do you the 'loss of assistance' message? If so no difference should be felt in Sport or Track mode, assistance is already defeated.

I had this a couple of times and added a duct to cool the steering unit. Never had it again

Big picture though - I'm in the northwest and have the luxury not trying to track the RS in hot weather

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Can the turbo blanket be easily installed at an oil change or do you need to remove other components besides the under tray?
doable buy you need to.make room by removing wipers and cowl.

I installed it when.engine was out, was a pain even so, figuring out the orientation and getting a perfect fit

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Great 😓

So you need to install/manipulate the blanket from the top and bottom?
You start feeding it from the top, then position it from the bottom. You also have to pull the intake pipe all the way to the turbo. I've done a lot of work on my RS, and I think the turbo blanket was one of the most painful frustrating installs so far. Took me a few hours, a couple retries feeding the blanket and a LOT of swearing.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
1,019 Posts
I removed the lower cowl (not the upper with the wipers) and had my downpipe off, along with the intake pipe. Another post about this suggested long needle nose, and I got a double hinged one that definitely helped a ton. I used the pliers to pull the blanket down behind the turbo, and for the slight adjustments to get the fit exact. The springs weren't fun, but I did get both attached.

Wear gloves, make sure your turbo is clean (I wiped mine down with a rag soaked with brake clean), and don't touch the inside of the blanket with your bare hands. You don't want to contaminate the blanket with your finger oils, or any other oils. On a different car, I have had a blanket burn up from oil contamination, so now I try to be really careful.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Do you the 'loss of assistance' message? If so no difference should be felt in Sport or Track mode, assistance is already defeated.

I had this a couple of times and added a duct to cool the steering unit. Never had it again

Big picture though - I'm in the northwest and have the luxury not trying to track the RS in hot weather
If you think the EPAS is not working in Sport or Track you're wrong. The system is always active, and always providing SOME assistance, even in Sport, or Track. it just provides LESS assistance. I'm sure there's actually a PID that monitors input torque on the steering wheel and is viewable with torque pro, or some other app.

If you didn't have any assistance the steering weight would rapidly increase as the tire's scrub angle increases, and could get completely unmanageable.

Our cars are designed to have powered assist, its why the turns lock to lock are so short. A manual box uses a higher ratio to increase effective steering input torque.

That said, I wonder if any of the aftermarket under-tray vendors make a tray that adds in a duct for steering, that would be sweet and something well worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh boy. When it fails you can barely turn the wheels and have to slow down almost to a stop. A warning message comes on so there must be some record of it in the computer. Next time I bring it in I will have the dealer look at it.

ETA - Yes this is 'on a track' a closed course with no speed limits lol. Hastings Motorsports Park. On the 13th and 14th this month I will bring it to Raceway of the Midlands near Pacific Junction Iowa.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
If you think the EPAS is not working in Sport or Track you're wrong. The system is always active, and always providing SOME assistance, even in Sport, or Track. it just provides LESS assistance. I'm sure there's actually a PID that monitors input torque on the steering wheel and is viewable with torque pro, or some other app.

If you didn't have any assistance the steering weight would rapidly increase as the tire's scrub angle increases, and could get completely unmanageable.

Our cars are designed to have powered assist, its why the turns lock to lock are so short. A manual box uses a higher ratio to increase effective steering input torque.

That said, I wonder if any of the aftermarket under-tray vendors make a tray that adds in a duct for steering, that would be sweet and something well worth it.
I don't doubt you're correct!

Yet when I had the warning my I continued my session with no change in steering feel.

Home depot vacuum cleaner duct . . .

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Gas Gun accessory

Automotive tire Wood Grey Road surface Gas

Love that rat fur

21 - 33 of 33 Posts