Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
The Touch-up paint from Ford has the metallic in the clear coat step so I would forgo that as well on the calipers.

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
I just found some on Amazon. It's not Ford genuine, but it's gotta look better than the scrape that's there now. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,169 Posts
Yep. I did not apply the clear coat though.

Look great to me.

You can get it from the dealer or amazon.
Do you have the part number for that NB touch up paint you used on your caliper? When I went to the dealership parts dept, first they told me I needed the VIN number. I told him I know the color name (Nitrous Blue), and he gave a smart a** remark like their cars come in different colors and if I knew if that color was specific to that car... I was like uh... Yeah dumba**, it is! It's always sad when you're reminded that you know more about a company's products than they do. Same when shopping for tech. Anyways, he told me they only have the Motorcraft touch up pens. I'm assuming the NB would have the sparkle coat, which I obviously wouldn't want on the caliper. So I should be looking for the multi stage one, right?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Do you have the part number for that NB touch up paint you used on your caliper? When I went to the dealership parts dept, first they told me I needed the VIN number. I told him I know the color name (Nitrous Blue), and he gave a smart a** remark like their cars come in different colors and if I knew if that color was specific to that car... I was like uh... Yeah dumba**, it is! It's always sad when you're reminded that you know more about a company's products than they do. Same when shopping for tech. Anyways, he told me they only have the Motorcraft touch up pens. I'm assuming the NB would have the sparkle coat, which I obviously wouldn't want on the caliper. So I should be looking for the multi stage one, right?
The over the counter from the dealer I got it from is also the same, as they don't want/accept return on the touch up.

They can be nicer. Here's a pic:

Here's a couple of links where to get it online:

I did not notice the sparkle on the base coat.... its on the top coat.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,169 Posts
The over the counter from the dealer I got it from is also the same, as they don't want/accept return on the touch up.

They can be nicer. Here's a pic:

View attachment 345157

Here's a couple of links where to get it online:

I did not notice the sparkle on the base coat.... its on the top coat.
Oh! So yours is the Motorcraft pen? It doesn't have the metallic flakes in it?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Oh! So yours is the Motorcraft pen? It doesn't have the metallic flakes in it?

Yep, its a base coat + top coat.

No flakes on the base coat.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
I initially used it on the bonnet strut install:

When I used it for the bolt, since it did not have the flakes I did not use the clear coat:

Just don't use the top coat.

Reactions: Si2RS

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,169 Posts
I initially used it on the bonnet strut install:

View attachment 345158

When I used it for the bolt, since it did not have the flakes I did not use the clear coat:

View attachment 345159

Just don't use the top coat.
Oh! Once again, I'm an idiot... I thought everything was mixed in the single pen tip. I've never used a touch-up pen before. So is it like double-sided (one side base coat and one side top coat)?

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Oh! Once again, I'm an idiot... I thought everything was mixed in the single pen tip. I've never used a touch-up pen before. So is it like double-sided (one side base coat and one side top coat)?
Pen side that also pulls as a brush is the base coat.

The bottom part has a foam tip applicator for the top coat

Reactions: Si2RS

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
Bumping this to add visual.

Last Friday I got my oil change done from the local QuickLane. Around 6 months ago they nicked my front driver.

They were nice enough to nick the front passenger side last Friday to even it out:

Used the NB touch up paint that I posted here prior:

Had not fully cured when I took that photo.

Here's a photo of the driver side (which is fully cured):

Got nicked at the same spot, but you can hardly tell.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I just recently found out that Ford's Nitrous Blue is actually their earlier Grabber Blue with a pearl top coat. So...the brake calipers are painted the non-pearl Grabber Blue. This may be of some help to folks wanting to find the right color for their calipers? Grabber Blue was used on Mustangs from the early 70s up until around 2012.

Reactions: jettic
21 - 32 of 32 Posts