Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So will the RS, due to being AWD have more or less torque steer than a pure FWD? Given the increased HP I would expect more but if some power always to rear then less? I know you guys know more about how the AWD system works than me so please share your thoughts.

·
Registered
716 Posts
So will the RS, due to being AWD have more or less torque steer than a pure FWD? Given the increased HP I would expect more but if some power always to rear then less? I know you guys know more about how the AWD system works than me so please share your thoughts.
Less due to the AWD system.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Certainly not more, most likely less.
the only way it could be more than a ST would be to completely disable AWD if possible and since we lack the revo knuckle in theory we could see more torque steer, but if the rear take some of the power from the front it should be much less noticeable than any other boosted FWD.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
The ST is an awesome car, but has significant torque steer. The AWD of the RS will virtually eliminate all of the ST's torque steer and eliminate, even worse, the ST's lousy brake system torque vectoring.

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so this is what I wanted to hear. Was worried about talk of front drive was taking most of the power, most of the time?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I like the TQ steer in my ST, it makes me pay attention more considering the ST is so easy to drive. I know when I'm passing some one on the right and there is just a wide enough gap that when I punch it I need to compensate. It is the opposite of stepping the tail out, but no where near as fun.

The RS does have some changes to the steering, different knuckle and shorter link arms. I have no idea how it would have even 70% of the TQ steer my ST does considering I have about 350 lb/ft to the wheels, and it is very very manageable. I honestly don't even notice anymore just part of the character.

Every one will have a different opinion on this, but TQ steer is not something I even thought about with the RS. I am way more concerned if it will cut power like my ST does when I left foot brake, I'm hoping in one of the modes I should be able too. My ST is worse when everything is off compared to sport mode.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove a fusion recently and that thing has nowhere near the power of your ST or the RS and the TQ steer was quite noticable.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I drove a fusion recently and that thing has nowhere near the power of your ST or the RS and the TQ steer was quite noticable.
When you start getting into performance cars, the manufacture really focuses on numbing TQ steer. The ST does use the power steering to counter some, also things like equal length axles and steering geometry come into play big time.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I'm not sure what Fusion you've driven, but my mother's FWD is pretty complacent. The AWD fusion is still going to be front biased so this isn't really a good comparison.

I'm with Crooked Letta, I like the torque steer on my ST. It's a little bit of work for sure, but it's fun. It's not extreme, but when it get's squirrelly it keeps things interesting. I had the AWD Taurus SHO before my ST and that car was super boring. Fast? Sure, but it didn't feel fast. There was no perceptible torque steer to speak of on that car, it has exactly the same amount of torque as the RS and the AWD system was front biased. So, I don't think it's going to be a major issue. It might be noticeable depending on the AWD software, but probably not as manic as the ST.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess TQ steer is something you get use too, but when you drive a real wheel driven car or truck for a while even a little seems noticeable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
RS Crazy
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing