Ford Focus RS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
here in mexico you hand them 500 pesos and each their way. personally 10 years here never pulled over.. weird. I guess they have better things to do. maybe other states it's different.
Here in Tejas I’ve used a Valentine One for 17 years in my cars and on my motorcycles. Probably saved me 10k in fines.

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Same here, with my 2 motorcycles it's probably saved me 4x that.
I quit counting at 10 g’s. My rides are all felony rides pretty much, so God only knows. Many parts of my twisty routes are void of homes so it might as well be the Isle of Man, or Mugello :D
But I have had times with unmarked cars in the bushes where they hear me coming, fast, they get the gun ready but by the time they see me I’m 5mph under. One time I waved at the guy to say hello and he flipped me off with both fingers :D
Another time riding in a group, that I didn’t know well...V1 went off, I roll off, get in the other lane and get to the back of the pack. I let them all go. 2 deputies had the whole group pulled over. I creep by, wave, next corner, out of line of sight I nail it, too enthused back end power slides through the corner and I’m click, click, pulling hard in 4th. They all heard me, it was f’ing awesome! Leader of the group refused to let me lead “I run radar”, his response “I think we’ll be ok”. Never rode with them again.

I helped beta test the H.A.R.D. System for Legal Speeding 17 years ago and have been using it ever since. Together with the Sena well I never thought I’d have wireless LED radar notification in my helmet as well as tracks bumping in my ears. The Hard unit is excellent if you don’t have one.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The car feels exactly the same to me. To be honest, if it did feel different, I would be incredibly worried because that would imply some serious oversight with how the car is programmed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't say I can tell there is a difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
for me, when i turned hill assist off the biggest thing i noticed was there way less rev hang, or almost none, when i shift on cold starts. shifting when warm seems smoother from 1-2 as well.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Do you have to turn Hill assist off every time you start the car? Or does it stay off

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
Thanks, I hope to have my car back next week,Ford tech coming wends to figure out the oil leak after hg swap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
****. I guess I'll hop on this bandwagon...

I've had hill start assist on since purchasing. I've not had torque steer issues, only tram-lining and some understeer on curved onramps when the tires are cold.

I'm about to hop in the car and go run errands. I'll make this trip with HSA off and see if I notice anything different. I'm at 16k miles so I should be able to tell if something changes significantly.

·
Super Moderator
1,948 Posts
I tried this, car felt exactly the same. I went back and forth between the settings on a few drives maybe 20 times total. No difference.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
One of you who can magically feel a difference with HSA off need to do a blind test in someones RS and repeat that a few times. I'd love to see the results.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So I've had hill assist off for a week. Seemed better until today. Hammered second gear and it pulled worse then ever. Almost forgot about it and it sure surprised me.

·
5,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Have had it off for now 4 weeks.

Today it rained, nailed second, no torque steer.
This is a permanent fix for me now. Will leave off forever.

Very :)
Awesome car...

·
Registered
663 Posts
I’ve had it off a week and I can’t convince myself there is a difference. The thing is, I don’t think car had much torque steer to begin with. The computer is just over-eager about vectoring the torque to make the car corner. Giving the car WOT is like giving the computer 5 lines of coke - it will take the smallest steering input and go bananas.

I notice it most when I try to change lanes and the car thinks I want to drive around a sweeper instead of sliding over a lane. It also happens when the pogo effect causes me to accidentally turn the wheel a bit, or when a bump upsets the car and I need to correct a hair. It probably even happens when a little genuine torque steer tugs at the wheel a bit. The computer senses the input and shoves power to the outside rear while braking the inside front and suddenly the car rotates. Great on a track or a twisty road, less great when you’re surrounded by traffic and didn’t want to turn in the first place.

I guess this is an issue whenever you rely on something other than wheel angle to turn the car. Supercars like the Huayra and Huracán Performante probably feel scary and unnatural too when the active aero kicks in, although better computer code could probably make it feel more progressive and natural. Unfortunately our Ford computer is prone to cocaine binges and I haven’t found that hill-start-assist changes anything.

·
Registered
300 Posts
More testing this weekend. Only difference was I almost put my splitter into the kerb when reversing out of an inclined car park after forgetting that the hill start assist (which had only ever been on before now, and which I had gotten used to) was not going to hold me in place while transitioning into gear.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I threw it back on and didn't notice a difference. @Paolo, are you normally running around in Track or Sport mode? I'm not tuned, but only notice torque steer when mashing the fun pedal with sport throttle mapping.

If so, and you're open to more testing, load up the custom drive mode via FORScan and try changing the AWD mode and throttle mapping one at a time. I'm betting that either one of those has the impact that you're trying to avoid, and maybe by turning off the hill assist it's messing with either the AWD (disabling because the ABS is holding the rear brakes maybe) or throttle mapping (to not fry the brakes).

Hill assist is convenient for me, and necessary when I'm not the one driving. So back on it went.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.