Ford Focus RS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
It doesn't look like trimming the diffuser is necessary. Can you guys confirm?

Also, if you invert that hitch so that it has a rise instead of a drop, you get your clearance back.

Trimming the diffuser is necessary. If it wasn't wet outside I'd take some pictures.

·
Premium Member
3,327 Posts
It doesn't look like trimming the diffuser is necessary. Can you guys confirm?

Also, if you invert that hitch so that it has a rise instead of a drop, you get your clearance back.
If I remember right the trimming was needed right next to the muffler, not really noticeable if you remove the hitch unless you get under there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Trimming the diffuser is necessary. If it wasn't wet outside I'd take some pictures.
Trimming is needed, and practically invisible if/when the hitch is removed. 2 layers of plastic, and the heat shield need to be trimmed...2" wide, by 1 1/2" deep. Look closely at the third picture, and you can just see the notch at the top of the hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
They sent me a new plate, with just a slight angle...still looked like a little too much. It bolted up directly. Call them and tell them to send you a new plate.
I just gotta say, that looks so much better with the black hardware. Putting the unpainted hardware on there draws your eye right to the hitch.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
I just gotta say, that looks so much better with the black hardware. Putting the unpainted hardware on there draws your eye right to the hitch.
Simply put a nylon locking nut on top of the provided hardware... making sure to align the nuts naturally, before painting. Minimal OCD taking over you know.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just a FYI if you drive around with your bike rack in the UP position make sure you move your wheel straps. Mine melted and had to purchase a new set lol.
I know that pain bro. My silver 1UP is black on the left side where the exhaust exits.

It’s still not as bad as my GTO where both tyres would get roasted by the exhaust so I always had to drive slow with a bike on.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Has anyone installed atorklift on a my 18? It doesn't list for 18s on their site.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
181 Posts
Has anyone installed atorklift on a my 18? It doesn't list for 18s on their site.

18 is identical to the 16-17 just diff colour and an lsd. Call torklift if you’re really worried about it. They’re usually quite helpful and they do actually answer the phone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
One for a 2017 should work fine, but they are a bit of work to put on. Torklift installed mine, and they had to take the rear bumper off. Notice all the rocks that fell out of my bumper when they took it off (I ran in a rallycross about 6 months earlier)!
bumper.jpg
20180517_170007.jpg

·
Registered
207 Posts
One for a 2017 should work fine, but they are a bit of work to put on. Torklift installed mine, and they had to take the rear bumper off. Notice all the rocks that fell out of my bumper when they took it off (I ran in a rallycross about 6 months earlier)!
View attachment 332502
View attachment 332504
Love the rocks! Really wish i would have gone this way to start.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Love the rocks! Really wish i would have gone this way to start.

They called me into the garage and couldn't figure out why I had so many rocks in there. They laughed when I told them I did a rallycross.

I've had quite a few comments about using my RS to pull my bike on a trailer. I say "Why not? It's more fun than a truck!". Except maybe for a Raptor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I pulled the trigger and replaced my Curt with a torklift. I am still not in love with the larger receiver, but hope to have more support for the bike rack. I started the job on Sunday, but had to finish on Tuesday after 11" of snow.

If you install either hitch, loosen the wing nuts on the taillights. There are two on each side and it makes the job much easier.

I couldn't stand the bow in the lower facia. Looks like I still need a shot of finished product.

For anyone work a Curt thinking of doing this, I did not need to trim the facia any further for the torklift.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
This is on a my18. No problems at all. Picture of the final product. Love this hitch. The valance if still falling back into shape after the Curt flex for a year.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 140 Posts