Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get email notices form Torklift, because I have one of their hidden hitch's on my Subie. Anyway, I fired off an email to them, mentioning that I (eventually) have an RS incoming, and am interested in a hitch. I got a phone call less than 10 minutes later... Their fabrication shop is located in Sumner, Washington, and all they need is for someone to allow them to do the fit up on their RS.

So, any local peeps interested in a hitch...or willing to "take one for the team"?

Contact info
Jordan Harvell
[email protected]
1-800-246-8132

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Will they make a tow hook front license plate mount?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Im in Seattle and may be inclined to go see Torklift when I get my car.
Deciding factor for me would be if they can do it without compromising the defusers functionality.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Deciding factor for me would be if they can do it without compromising the defusers functionality.
It would liking have some impact, hoping minimal. But the rear fog light also has an impact. I would like to see that if they put on it they have the loops for the chains come through to the sides and some dense foam around the hoops and square for the hitch to prevent air flow through the gaps that should be minimal to start with.

·
Registered
878 Posts
For my RSX-S, the local rack/hitch chain store drilled 4 widely-distributed holes in the "trunk" area, and used them to bolt the "hitch" to the underside of the "trunk".

It didn't seem structurally sound to me, but it did turn out to be strong enough to hold up a pretty beefy bike rack and 2 bikes with no significant flopping around, even when driving on rough dirt roads.

I wonder if the RS's hitch "solution" will turn out to be similar to this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
For my RSX-S, the local rack/hitch chain store drilled 4 widely-distributed holes in the "trunk" area, and used them to bolt the "hitch" to the underside of the "trunk".

It didn't seem structurally sound to me, but it did turn out to be strong enough to hold up a pretty beefy bike rack and 2 bikes with no significant flop or flopping around, even when driving on rough dirt roads.

I wonder if the RS's hitch "solution" will turn out to be similar to this.

My 2001 CL-S was much the same way - the hitch was bolted to the spare tire tray and not to the frame. O_O

·
Registered
80 Posts
I get email notices form Torklift, because I have one of their hidden hitch's on my Subie. Anyway, I fired off an email to them, mentioning that I (eventually) have an RS incoming, and am interested in a hitch. I got a phone call less than 10 minutes later... Their fabrication shop is located in Sumner, Washington, and all they need is for someone to allow them to do the fit up on their RS.

So, any local peeps interested in a hitch...or willing to "take one for the team"?

Contact info
Jordan Harvell
[email protected]
1-800-246-8132
If mine actually comes, I'll be straight up to them!
I'm in Portland, so its not that far........

In terms of the diffuser, I'd say any adjustment will have absolutely minimal impact at anything south of 100-120mph!?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was wondering if anyone will build a hitch that passes through the diffuser. Modifying the diffuser by trimming a square section that it passes through would be an interesting and possibly very clean option.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I was wondering if anyone will build a hitch that passes through the diffuser. Modifying the diffuser by trimming a square section that it passes through would be an interesting and possibly very clean option.
Looking at the pics of the back I don't see anyway but to go through it. I would just like to see the bulk of in hidden with just the chain loops and the receiver passing through the diffuser. Unless the chain loops can legally be on the removable hitch part that connects to the receiver.

·
Registered
196 Posts
+1
I am interested in a hitch as well, but Im not sure how you do it without compromising the defuser. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Contact info
Jordan Harvell
[email protected]
1-800-246-8132

I live just about 15 minutes away from their shop. If my car ever gets here, I would be glad to volunteer it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I seriously hope they can design an unobtrusive and hidden hitch for the RS, I have one of their eco-hitches on my Suabru Impreza hatch, and it was a breeze to install. Just not sure how they are gonna get around that defuser on the RS without modification...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at the pics of the back I don't see anyway but to go through it. I would just like to see the bulk of in hidden with just the chain loops and the receiver passing through the diffuser. Unless the chain loops can legally be on the removable hitch part that connects to the receiver.
Maybe laws vary by State, but I imagine the chances of getting a ticket for the chain loops being on the removable part would be worth the chance. The hidden hitch on my Subie, necessitated that very thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would love it if a receiver was flush with cut out in defuser, I would'nt mind having to reach up under to pin the hitch in receiver.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had an A5 with a removable hitch before, and the reciever was vertical, so the hitch clipped in from underneath and had a "swan neck" that came down and bent rearward up again.
That could be an option??

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
I had an A5 with a removable hitch before, and the reciever was vertical, so the hitch clipped in from underneath and had a "swan neck" that came down and bent rearward up again.
Where on the world are you though? As that sounds like the style I've seen in EU, not NA.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Same for VW Tiguan - Australia.

Thinking when not fitted the aperture would be mostly obscured.

Wwwwwhhhhhyyyyy???
...because I like cars which are fun to drive, have a family, a mortgage, earn 'only' low 6 figures, have other lifestyle interests which absorb pocket money.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts