Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing track days for a long time, and at a whole bunch of tracks in CA, but this was my first track day at Sonoma Raceway, and boy what a blast!

This track is clearly meant for well handling cars, and is very technical, there are few standalone turns, and most are part of turn sequence you have to string together smoothly. The FoRS is just awesome here! It has a tendency to understeer, and is clearly nose heavy, but you can also put power down quite a bit earlier than 2WD cars and simply brute force your way around some corners, particularly T2, T4, T11, at the cost of your tires. It was a nice cool day, and the car performed perfectly, no RDU or power steering overheating like I've had in my previous FoRS. This was my first opportunity to track the 2018, and I wanted to see whether I noticed a difference with an LSD, but I really couldn't. The 2017 and 2018's drive the same on track.

This car is my daily driver, so it's completely stock, with the exception of good brake pads (Carbotech XP10) and Toyo R888R tires on 18" wheels. It did pretty well compared to cars costing twice as much.

What a fun day, and what a great car! I was briefly worried that I made a mistake getting a 2018 after my 2017 got lemoned, but now I know that I didn't.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
Nice pics and video!

If you don't mind me asking, what's the red button for?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After swapping out my brakes, I see the difference the LSD makes. Normally, a set of XP10's is toast after 1 track day due to the brake based traction control. My pads from this track day easily have 2 more track days worth of life. So, while I didn't see a driving difference, there's a huge load removed off the front brakes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
HOD... I was thinking of going.. but after that weekend stormy Tahoe drive. I was too tired.. 8 hour up and 6 hour back..
and my other friend pop 2 tires from pothole and was not able join either..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts