Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found my rear passenger tire flat and drove it to Mr. Tire. They took the wheel off and found a screw embedded to the head on the inner shoulder of the tire. They told me they don't patch anything that is not on the flat part of the tire. They told me to go to a gas station and get it "plugged". I was reading that a plug is not a proper repair and it should be a combination repair. I doubt the Pilot Cup 2 warranty covers this right? I only have 1500 miles on these tires, and haven't had a chance to track the car yet!

So sad :sad:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Afraid you'll just have to chalk it up to bad luck as a puncture in that area is not fixable in a reliable/safe way.
A plug may work for a short time, but it won't be any kind of long-term solution.
A dealer should know if there is an applicable "Road Hazard" warranty on the tires.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Found my rear passenger tire flat and drove it to Mr. Tire. They took the wheel off and found a screw embedded to the head on the inner shoulder of the tire. They told me they don't patch anything that is not on the flat part of the tire. They told me to go to a gas station and get it "plugged". I was reading that a plug is not a proper repair and it should be a combination repair. I doubt the Pilot Cup 2 warranty covers this right? I only have 1500 miles on these tires, and haven't had a chance to track the car yet!

So sad :sad:
Huge bummer. But if it is indeed "on the shoulder", I'm afraid @JoelsRS is absolutely right. You'd be tossing a coin every time you were really working it. It coukd be a disaster on the track. The guys at Mr. Tire might have thought it could get granny to church, but it ain't safe for pushing hard on public roads let alone on a track. Very sorry.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Lemme know if you want to sell one of the other three. lol...This happened to me not too long ago, I swapped them for Pilot Sport 4S tires but I kept the other three...I plan on getting some extra rims for autocross duty...

·
Registered
355 Posts
@OP If you have one tire thats 4/32s or more I'll buy it.

Lemme know if you want to sell one of the other three. lol...This happened to me not too long ago, I swapped them for Pilot Sport 4S tires but I kept the other three...I plan on getting some extra rims for autocross duty...
Same here, got a sidewall hole on just one P SC2s and was forced to upgrade to PS4Ss, but kept the 3 good tires.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
None of you guys decided to just replace that one bad tire? I don't think I have the space or money to just buy a third set of tires. I have a set of winter wheels and tires already. I am wondering if I should invest in the Ford TireCare to help mitigate this in the future. To be honest though this is probably the second time I had to replace a tire due to sidewall or puncture in 10 years.

Gonna call tomorrow and see what the details on that plan is. For the meantime thanks for the offer guys, but until I test these tires on a track I'll hold on to them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Afraid you'll just have to chalk it up to bad luck as a puncture in that area is not fixable in a reliable/safe way.
A plug may work for a short time, but it won't be any kind of long-term solution.
A dealer should know if there is an applicable "Road Hazard" warranty on the tires.
I had a similar problem with a screw in my driver's side front tire. The tire guy suggested I call Ford and that his buddy had had his Ford covered for a new tire . I called Ford and they said, I would have had to have gotten the extended warranty to cover road hazard on the tires. So..... since I have 20,000 on my tires , I decided to buy two fronts so the car would ride even. Even with that, and only getting Nitto 555's , I still was close to $500 out the door.
Got to pay to play......
Russtang

·
Registered
355 Posts
None of you guys decided to just replace that one bad tire? I don't think I have the space or money to just buy a third set of tires. I have a set of winter wheels and tires already. I am wondering if I should invest in the Ford TireCare to help mitigate this in the future. To be honest though this is probably the second time I had to replace a tire due to sidewall or puncture in 10 years.

Gonna call tomorrow and see what the details on that plan is. For the meantime thanks for the offer guys, but until I test these tires on a track I'll hold on to them.
Mine were below 5/32nd, so I was planning on drifting them to death come our first rain in a month and then grabbing ps4s. Don't make sense to pay like 300+ to get 1-2 months max out of them, vs $1000 on a new set.

·
Registered
280 Posts
None of you guys decided to just replace that one bad tire? I don't think I have the space or money to just buy a third set of tires.
I've had a single tire be unrepairable before and only replaced that one with a brand new identical to the other three tire. Since you only have 1500 miles it will be OK and you may not even be able to tell the new from the old soon.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I was ready for something a little more street friendly. I love the cup 2s for the track though...I'll probably break down and buy just one when I find a set of wheels I want next season. I have two other sets I need to sell first though or my wife will kick my ass haha

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha yea my wife will beat me if I broach the subject of a third set of wheels and tires. I'll bring it up after my first few track sessions. Would love to hear some recommendations for what is considered street friendly (ie softer ride?) cause I love aggressively making left turns through intersections :excited:.

Yea I think I will get a quote on TireCare (I am guessing this is same as extended warranty) but otherwise I will most likely just order a new tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys, I emailed my dealer and he told me I have a Nitrofill card that entitles me to 1 year of hazard warranty!

So we'll see if this solves my problems. Good thing I didn't buy the tire yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts