Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that the stock recommended tire pressure is 46 PSI for all wheels.

This seems really high to me, so I am wondering what tire pressures people here are running.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
42/38 is correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Another vote for 42/38 :).
AFAIK the 46 square # is only really necessary for fully loaded, continuous high speed cruising.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Agree 42/38 cold is the best balance btwn grip/handling and ride with MPSS. For improved hwy driving comfort drop front to 40, keep rear at 38.

Quick comment on MPSS tire pressures. MPSS are one of the most sensative to pressure changes of any tire I've owned....a 2 pound change is noticable. They also don't like to be over inflated, bc they will get slippery and push, too little and they get sloppy, so keep an eye on the pressures

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
It's actually 41/38, the partial load rating is not included on the North American model sticker due to US federal regulations. Full load with 5 passengers and luggage is 46/46 lbs. Running anything lower than ~36 - 37lbs will result in your TPMS light coming on. If it comes on, raise the pressures to about 42 lbs all round to get the light out, then go back to 41/38.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anecdotal experience here. I ran 46 on all tires at Willow Springs and got praise for how perfectly my tires were wearing by an instructor who came over to look at the car. (He seemed to be impressed with my stock lap times I guess). He gave me an in detail breakdown of how perfect the tires were folding in the corners and showed me on the tire how he could tell. So, I like 46/46. :)

Oh, 46 hot. I don't remember what I had them at cold. But after the first session I pumped them up / let air out to bring to exactly 46 and checked to ensure they stayed at 46 after each session.

Tires: Sport Cup 2s

·
5,586 Posts
Anecdotal experience here. I ran 46 on all tires at Willow Springs and got praise for how perfectly my tires were wearing by an instructor who came over to look at the car. (He seemed to be impressed with my stock lap times I guess). He gave me an in detail breakdown of how perfect the tires were folding in the corners and showed me on the tire how he could tell. So, I like 46/46. :)

Oh, 46 hot. I don't remember what I had them at cold. But after the first session I pumped them up / let air out to bring to exactly 46 and checked to ensure they stayed at 46 after each session.

Tires: Sport Cup 2s
I'd say 46 psi hot =~ 42/41 psi cold

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's turned a bit colder here. I went for a drive in the RS yesterday and 7 miles from my house the tire pressure light came on. Pulled over to inspect everything and all's good. Charged my air compressor this morning to fill a tire or two and they are all low. Filled them all - 42 front 38 rear.

·
Registered
536 Posts
What tires are we talking? I run 18” R888R on the track and start with 36 front 34 rear cold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
So I am running 245/40R18 Pirelli Sotozero 3 on the RS for winter, max pressure for the tires is 50psi. Obviously, not going to run that high a pressure, but what would you all recommend?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Around town I run 44/40 on both the winter wheel alpines and the forged cup 2's. Lower for the Alpines, and they start to feel too mushy with hard braking.

On the track I found I have to run at least 46/46 cold on the cup 2's or I get horrible sidewall wear on the stock tires. They do get to around 50 psi hot, but when I try to back them down between sessions, I immediately get sidewall wear again. The Michelin guy is gone, and the wear can touch the tire lettering on the side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts