Ford Focus RS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,428 Posts
I was going with the FP one which is 70mm, also the most costly.

But the inlet TB measurement on the Moutune intake mani is 65.08mm, beat the propose of the FP one. I can get it bored but it still wont be 70mm.

I don't want to fork over the $$ for the BBK for 4mm (the most) difference and decided to get the Mountune radiator instead for the $$ and the OE bored out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just measured it and the plate & outlet are 61.5 mm, the inlet was 63 mm

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
5,428 Posts
Yeah, I seen it so I know it should work with the RS.

But the inlet on the mani will be the restrictor at that point.

Damn it..........

Thanks @RS GoD SaLo .........

Thank's a lot!

Doing number crunching

Reactions: RS GoD SaLo

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pro Alloy sells the cold side hard pipes and the full kit which would get rid of the 43mm plastic hose connector "restrictor" at the TB and you could then use a samco 2.75" - 2.5" reducer to attach to larger throttle body inlet (70mm):

Focus RS MK3 Boost Pipe Kit

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
So, do any of you folks looking to buy one of these larger diameter throttle bodies understand that the larger diameter requires a larger throttle plate (duh), so the calibrated throttle area is now incorrect in the airflow calculations in the ECU? Do you know the fuel mixture will be wrong and require a lot of fuel trim to try and get the AFR correct? Depending on how much trim % is in your tune, it may throw lean codes. There is literally nothing to be gained with this bolt-on crap unless/until you have a turbo big enough for these other areas to need improvement. You're buying stuff on marketing BS, rather than real data. It you don't retune the car to account for the larger throttle area, it will run worse and make less power than the stock part. At BEST you can get the tune adjusted to bring everything back into line so it doesn't cause any problem, but it wont do anything to performance unless your wallet is so heavy that spending a bunch of cash will lighten it up tremendously. YMMV

Reactions: JamoRS

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/images/install-pdf/install_tb119.pdf

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY TO ENSURE CORRECT FITMENT AND OPERATION

STEP 1 Disconnect battery for 5 minutes. Reconnect or use a code reader to clear any stored codes in the computer. NOTE: IF THIS IS A NEW INSTALL, PROCEED TO STEP 2.

STEP 2 Turn ignition key to on position, do not start the engine.

STEP 3 Slowly depress the gas pedal to the floor, and then slowly release it. Do this three (3) times. On the third press hold pedal to the floor until the check engine light flashes release the pedal and turn the key off.

STEP 4 Now start engine. The gas pedal is now in sync with the larger throttle body.

·
Premium Member
5,428 Posts
@20focusstdriver17 the pro alloy looks to be a complete boost pipe set and not the cold side only.

The airtech is for the MK2 Focus RS.

The only cold side pipe 70MM I know of is the CP-e, with or without the BOV connection. Both has 2 bung connection for WMI.

if someone goes with a 70mm pipe and goes with the BBK or Mustang TB, a 2.75" to 2.50" silicone hose connection is needed. For the FP needs to be 2.75" through and through.

@FORZDA 2 , completely understand what you mean. Plugin in one of the big TB will be a waste of money without a tune and supporting mods.

I thing I would say though I want to build a good base and expand from it if I get the need.

The 2.3 Mustang ecoboost benefited from the FP 70mm TB upgrade.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
@FORZDA 2 Most "upgrades" don't do sod all for most drivers. But enthusiast forums would be quite dull if we were only to discuss practical improvements rather than theoretical ones. I for one have many questions about many things I have no intention of ever undertaking, simply out of curiousity.

I certainly hope nobody following this thread is expecting any gains from a bolt on TB. But that wasn't the point of the topic.

Even if something doesn't work one might want to learn about why it won't.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Point taken! Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, do any of you folks looking to buy one of these larger diameter throttle bodies understand that the larger diameter requires a larger throttle plate (duh), so the calibrated throttle area is now incorrect in the airflow calculations in the ECU?...
Did you read the whole thread? Pretty tech savvy including original CAD modeling...this isn’t idiots spouting marketing blurbs and dyno charts that don’t cross at 5252.

81 - 100 of 133 Posts