Ford Focus RS Forum banner
281 - 300 of 331 Posts

· Registered
822 Posts
The cp-e cold-side pipe I have has a meth bung on it and is 2.75" throughout. I'm not sure if they've made any other dimension pipes, and I'd assume mine is based off their standard pipe, but with the bung welded in.

So I would assume yours is also 2.75", but you should measure it if you're unsure. If you have a Mishimoto intercooler, or the cp-e intercooler with the 2.75" exit installed, then your cold pipe should have a 2.75" straight through 90* elbow. Otherwise your elbow would probably be a 2.5" -> 2.75" reducing one as I think all other intercoolers have 2.5" exits.
Add COBB to the list of 2.75” IC connections.

· Registered
2017 Black RS
1,046 Posts
Add COBB to the list of 2.75” IC connections.
I have a spreadsheet with information about 14 different intercoolers, and Cobb's I wasn't sure about. Their description of their intercooler is vague (other than their core size), but part of the description for their piping made it sound like their IC might have at least a 2.75" exit. Thanks for verifying that! Do you know if it has a 2.75" entrance too, or is that 2.5"?

I'd like to get a new intercooler, and I like the core dimensions of the Cobb, but was also thinking about cp-e... partially because they can have a 2.75" exit.

· Registered
2017 Black RS
1,046 Posts
Hah, n/m... I just saw that you had asked that question on Cobb's product page, and their pretty terse reply. Based off their reply, my assumption would be that their single answer was for both of your questions... so the entrance and exit are both 2.75" (like the Mishimoto).

· Registered
822 Posts
Hah, n/m... I just saw that you had asked that question on Cobb's product page, and their pretty terse reply. Based off their reply, my assumption would be that their single answer was for both of your questions... so the entrance and exit are both 2.75" (like the Mishimoto).
Yes it’s definitely 2.75” in/out, I found out after ordering the wrong reducer to mate my ETS piping. I selected the COBB intercooler over the many other available choices because it has a turning vane on the intake side and the endings looks convincing as far as getting the air to turn. The 90° corners are opportunities for pressure losses and I liked the attention they apparently paid to this aspect. Turning vanes split the flow and are proven to reduce losses. I don’t know if COBB used CFD analysis to optimize the turns, but at least they did something and most others didn’t.

· Registered
609 Posts
Did anyone ever verify if the BBK Mustang EB 65mm is actually a 65mm straight through bore or even 65mm at the butterfly?

· Registered
609 Posts
I should mention that Cobb does sell the cold side hard pipe by itself, you just need to send an email requesting a replacement cold side pipe and they will send you a paypal request for the cost which I think was like $110 shipped. This was for an ST and the pipe has a 2.5" ID which matches the outlet on my Mountune FMIC.

· Registered
609 Posts
I just ordered the HPS 2.5" to 2.75" coupler for the hard pipe to TB connection. It say the wall thickness is over 5mm which should be pretty rigid, the Samcos are like 4.5mm which seem to be too flexible IMO. I can also vouch for the Jegs brand couplers which measured at a thickness of 5.65 mm (3"-2.5") and if it wasnt for the $10 shipping charge I wouldve ordered another one of those at $23. I was able to snag the HPS on amazon for like $26 shipped along with some gold heat reflective material that I will be wrapping around the cold pipe.

https://www.amazon.com/HPS-HTSRNBLK...sprefix=hps+2.75+to+2.5,automotive,109&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Sporacingrts...sprefix=gold+reflective,automotive,110&sr=1-6

Reactions: morbid and nicklulu

· Registered
822 Posts
Did anyone ever verify if the BBK Mustang EB 65mm is actually a 65mm straight through bore or even 65mm at the butterfly?
I don't think the BBK is 65mm straight...... @axelr ?
Yes the BBK has a 65mm butterfly. It tapers to that diameter on the way in, the inlet is actually slightly larger although I did not measure it, probably 67-68mm. The outlet is straight 65mm from the butterfly and mates with the 65mm intake collector perfectly.

Stock 57mm, Mustang 60mm, BBK 65mm.
Gas Auto part Wood Circle Metal

For both larger ones you need the Damond Motorsport kit: long screws, collars, silicon coupler, new O-ring, and wire extension. Although these are all standard components you could source separately, I find it more convenient to buy them as a kit.
Strap Fashion accessory Reflex camera Wire Cable

· Registered
609 Posts
crap, I would have probably just bought that one instead of going the Maxbore route on the stock EB 60mm, for some reason I thought it was just a bored oem st/rs 57mm and as I was rereading the 1st couple pages of this thread I noticed it didnt really say anything else and decided to go to the BBK website where it stated 65mm and the bore looked straight or at least seemed to be 65mm. oh well, hopefully Maxbore doesn't disappoint!

· Registered
609 Posts
I did request the exit be bored or ported to 65mm to match the intake manifold entrance.

· Registered
822 Posts
I did request the exit be bored or ported to 65mm to match the intake manifold entrance.
I think the Mustang’s 60mm should be plenty already. Why Ford reduced from 60mm down to 57mm while making the (more powerful) RS engine is a mystery, but then they also added the tubular 43mm plastic restrictor held over 50mm just before the throttle body (and possibly other Easter eggs) to cap the engine power regardless of the tune and make sure it drops past 6000. If you have 63mm piping and a 60mm throttle, bored or not, that’s a massive improvement over stock.

· Registered
609 Posts
I think the Mustang’s 60mm should be plenty already. Why Ford reduced from 60mm down to 57mm while making the (more powerful) RS engine is a mystery, but then they also added the tubular 43mm plastic restrictor held over 50mm just before the throttle body (and possibly other Easter eggs) to cap the engine power regardless of the tune and make sure it drops past 6000. If you have 63mm piping and a 60mm throttle, bored or not, that’s a massive improvement over stock.
I currently have the mountune full intercooler pipe/hose upgrade that i bought with their FMIC. It was one of the 1st major mods i did ~ 5 years ago along with triple pass radiator and CBE. Just getting around to adding the mustang tb that has been sitting in a box for the last 3 or so years.(y)

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tire Asphalt Rim Alloy wheel Gas

Automotive tire Rim Automotive wheel system Automotive lighting Gas

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Muffler Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood

· Registered
609 Posts
Reflex camera Camera lens Digital camera Single-lens reflex camera Camera

· Registered
822 Posts
Looks like you are all set. I have not seen the Mountune piping, is the part between the IC and throttle a long silicon hose? The throttle body coupler mates to a 2.5" hard pipe, so if the Mountune pipe is silicon and goes all the way to the throttle body you don’t need the coupler but the MT silicon pipe may not fit the larger throttle. Just something to check before you dismantle everything.

· Registered
609 Posts
Looks like you are all set. I have not seen the Mountune piping, is the part between the IC and throttle a long silicon hose? The throttle body coupler mates to a 2.5" hard pipe, so if the Mountune pipe is silicon and goes all the way to the throttle body you don’t need the coupler but the MT silicon pipe may not fit the larger throttle. Just something to check before you dismantle everything.
The mountune cold side section is indeed a silicone hose made for the oem 57mm TB which is why i bought a Cobb cold side hard pipe shown a couple pages back! ;)(y)

Auto part Bumper Automotive exterior Terrestrial animal Plastic

Audio equipment Auto part Vacuum cleaner Tool Cable

· Registered
609 Posts
These are the boost hoses & hot side hard pipe that came in the Mountune FMIC kit, less the other intake stuff & BPV which I also have. The four pieces in lower left corner are what I have on there now and I will be replacing that long silicon cold side hose pictured under the aluminum upper intake tube with the Cobb cold side hard pipe when I get my TB back from Maxbore:

Automotive tire Font Bicycle part Cosmetics Material property

· Registered
885 Posts
Has anyone published any Mid Range and High Range torque and power figures, on a before and after fitment to see the difference and your comments on drivability and pick up would be really helpful.

I have the BBK TB is this the smallest of the Big TB's?

Is the Mustang bigger or smaller?

The size order is that BBK / Mustang / FP or is it Mustang / BBK / FP

· Registered
562 Posts
See post #289

Reactions: White-RS2
281 - 300 of 331 Posts