Ford Focus RS Forum banner
261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll install my 70mm TB soon. I just need to get some different bolts. The bolts in the Damond kit don't work well with the FP Throttle bodies.

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
I'll install my 70mm TB soon. I just need to get some different bolts. The bolts in the Damond kit don't work well with the FP Throttle bodies.

The FP TB bolts should work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are there any dyno results with before/after the TB change?
And only TB change, without retune?
And without changing pipes at the same time?

·
Premium Member
6,720 Posts
Are there any dyno results with before/after the TB change?
And only TB change, without retune?
And without changing pipes at the same time?

It will really help if you take out the reducer before the TB, so changing the cold side pipe is practically a must.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Of course, pipes before tb.

But it would be nice to see the improvement if the TB alone.

A friend has done it, with sirtec pipes and 63mm tb. The car felt like lower torque and power. But his setup is also with tb Spacer and manofold spacer.
He removed the 63mm TB because driveability/power.

Thats why i would to see only differences of the TB.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
Of course, pipes before tb.

But it would be nice to see the improvement if the TB alone.

A friend has done it, with sirtec pipes and 63mm tb. The car felt like lower torque and power. But his setup is also with tb Spacer and manofold spacer.
He removed the 63mm TB because driveability/power.

Thats why i would to see only differences of the TB.....
+8 hp / + 40 ft/lb on an ST posted in link several posts above, however this had a CPE cold side pipe AFAIK:

Product Human body Rectangle Slope Font

The restriction from the 43mm plastic throttle body reducer coupler on the end of OEM hose is determined to be the bottlneck, hence the new pipes/hoses needed for the TB upgrade to be beneficial:

Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Camera lens Tire Camera accessory
Automotive exhaust Composite material Gas Pipe Auto part

Even the hot side pipes have a NVM restriction that needs to be removed, the plastic "donuts" baffle:

Bicycle part Gas Auto part Wood Audio equipment

·
Registered
262 Posts
So, following the yellow bricked road going forward I will have the outside ambient air entering the FRPP snorkel flowing into a sealed airbox with the K&N closed end filter exiting the 3" outlet into the Mountune full RS 3" intake eventually tapering down to 2.5" into the turbo, exiting into the Mountune 2.5" hot side hard pipe, then entering the 2.5" Mountune tube & fin FMIC entrance, exiting to the Cobb 2.5" cold side hard pipe, entering into to the 2.3 EB TB that will have been ported to a 2.6" entrance tapering down to the bored 2.44" (62mm) butterfly and then exiting at just a hair under the 2.57" (65.33mm) OE intake manifold entrance.. Of course all silicone hoses/couplers/reducers used are Samco / Mountune . :geek::D

This setup also removes the 2 restrictions found with the OE hoses, ie. the 43mm to 50 mm plastic funnel on the cold side hose and the NVH donuts found on the hot side pipe.

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
453 Posts
Thanks again @20focusstdriver17 for that Murray clamp suggestion. I ended up not using it on my intercooler entrance... but I'm sure glad I had them on hand. Apparently t-bolt clamps are too tall for the offset coupler. So I got to use both of the Murray clamps on that coupler.

More room around the intake pipe now. I have the offset coupler set so it's further away at about 1:30 in relation to that picture. I first had it at 3 o'clock, but because the offset coupler is much taller than a straight coupler, the alignment of the hard pipe to the silicone elbow on the intercooler exit was funky. I rotated the coupler to pull the pipe a little away so the angles would be a little more forgiving. At some point I'd like to cut about an inch from the top of that pipe and take it somewhere to get a new bead rolled in. I also checked to see if the water-oil cooler hose could exist in the stock location when using an offset coupler. It's still in the way and contacts the upper part of the coupler, so I pushed it up above the starter again.

These clamps work, but I do think t-bolt clamps are much better looking. I really don't like the look of the excess strapping on worm gear clamps.

261 - 270 of 270 Posts