Ford Focus RS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really sort of unsure where to put this but since this will be an engine build thread I'll start it here.

Other night on the way home, driving well under the speed limit mind you, heard a pop, ping ping ping, shut down, cloud of smoke, oil slick... Tore down today and found this.

Looks like the damage is limited to the crank case, intake.head.turbo look fine so im gonna go with a new short block and swap everything over, researching vendors now.

Questions for you experienced folks, if ive got the motor out what else should I be looking to check.upgrade while in there? Clutch seems a no brainer, what else might make the list?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
With a clutch upgrade comes upgraded synchros. While it's all apart you should think about a LSD...

What oil were you running and were you tuned?

·
Registered
365 Posts
…engine and gearbox mounts. I use (and recommend) the Powerflex inserts instead of costly full replacements.

You absolutely want a new oil pump and a new oil pickup pipe, don’t reuse the ones from the failed engine.

Switch to 3000mi/5000km oil changes.

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
…engine and gearbox mounts. I use (and recommend) the Powerflex inserts instead of costly full replacements.

You absolutely want a new oil pump and a new oil pickup pipe, don’t reuse the ones from the failed engine.

Switch to 3000mi/5000km oil changes.
Thanks! Oil pump/pickup note well taken.
The oil change comment implies that you think this was a maintenance issue? Oil was changed about 3500 ago, 5w50 synthetic, level checked last week, all seemed ok then.

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a clutch upgrade comes upgraded synchros. While it's all apart you should think about a LSD...

What oil were you running and were you tuned?
Motorcraft oil.

The tune question is a hard one to know. I bought it with mods (ets IC, full exh, big BOV) but no accessport. My accesport didnt detect a tune when I plugged in. I was talking with Randy about tuning but wanted to "know" what was in it before starting. Folks here said not to use the cobb tune... Long story short, I was railing on it when this happened, could have easily been my procrastination that caused it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I think he was implying that maybe a better oil would help. Who knows how much fatigue was caused by lspi. Certain oils are much better than others for this like amsoil 5w50.
Think these guys got you in the right track.
my I suggested you contact Livernois motor sports for a short block. I have been extremely happy with the builds they have done for me.

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think he was implying that maybe a better oil would help. Who knows how much fatigue was caused by lspi. Certain oils are much better than others for this like amsoil 5w50.
Think these guys got you in the right track.
my I suggested you contact Livernois motor sports for a short block. I have been extremely happy with the builds they have done for me.
Absolutely snox, I will take any and all recommendations. Im a long time old car guy, the nuances surrounding this little crackhead 2.3 are still mysterious.

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Forged internals on the built motor.

Depends how you are on additional NVH, balance shaft delete kit.

And pretty much whats been stated above.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Also as stated I went with very stiff mounts between that and balance shaft delete and clutch . I do get more vibration than normal. Unless racing I was very happy with only doing my rear motor mount.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Really sort of unsure where to put this but since this will be an engine build thread I'll start it here.

Other night on the way home, driving well under the speed limit mind you, heard a pop, ping ping ping, shut down, cloud of smoke, oil slick... Tore down today and found this.

View attachment 354124

Looks like the damage is limited to the crank case, intake.head.turbo look fine so im gonna go with a new short block and swap everything over, researching vendors now.

Questions for you experienced folks, if ive got the motor out what else should I be looking to check.upgrade while in there? Clutch seems a no brainer, what else might make the list?
Have you had the engine apart yet? I'll be amazed if the head and turbo aren't damaged.

Ciao

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks! Oil pump/pickup note well taken.
The oil change comment implies that you think this was a maintenance issue? Oil was changed about 3500 ago, 5w50 synthetic, level checked last week, all seemed ok then.
Not imply anything just recommending a frequent change schedule for tuned engines, plus oil change before track days. I use Mobil 1 Racing 0w-50 with that 3k mi/5k km schedule.

Yes the old oil pump can absolutely not be trusted anymore (the engine failed after all…) and the oil pickup pipe has a grill inside that might be clogged by metal debris. You need a new pump, a new o-ring going between the pickup and the pump, and the pickup pipe. These aren’t expensive maybe $100-ish in total.

New 6600, 6617, 6625:

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
Not imply anything just recommending a frequent change schedule for tuned engines, plus oil change before track days. I use Mobil 1 Racing 0w-50 with that 3k mi/5k km schedule.

Yes the old oil pump can absolutely not be trusted anymore (the engine failed after all…) and the oil pickup pipe has a grill inside that might be clogged by metal debris. You need a new pump, a new o-ring going between the pickup and the pump, and the pickup pipe. These aren’t expensive maybe $100-ish in total.

New 6600, 6617, 6625:

View attachment 354148

There is an upgrade version:

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you had the engine apart yet? I'll be amazed if the head and turbo aren't damaged.

Ciao
Not yet, just down to where the damage is visible.
So far there is no indication that anything made it to the turbo, intake runners are all clear etc. Ill pull the head today.

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Interesting, if dont think the bottom end is OEM, anyone seen XD4 before?
Finding all sorts of bits that escaped the case too, like a scavenger hunt!

·
Premium Member
6,707 Posts
The plot thickens!

Reactions: billybuck

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
What's the build date on the motor? There should be a sticker on the passenger side.

I wonder if this isn't the car's first engine.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Here's a factory replacement engine from a few years ago, early in the piece.

Here's a fresh block

Not sure about this one under a rebuild.

Ciao

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems to indicate this is a replacement, even the handwriting appears to match the first one.

·
Registered
'16 with stuff
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, got my short block on order (in stock, should be here in a week!), downloaded the shop manual which took some searching, almost got the motor out and need to round up some of the necessary bits here and there to get it done in short order. This thread should very quickly turn into a build with shiny new stuff as opposed to old busted stuff.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts