Ford Focus RS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
570 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So much excitement about this product and now the supplier isn't responding on this thread or to the inquiry I sent to their site. I was so ready to order but won't until I know a lot more about the programming. :(

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
A few weeks ago, I was approached by @TomekRST about testing his Drift DevICE ("dongle") and comparing it to my Ford Performance Driftstick ("DS"), so he sent me a free one in exchange for feedback and a review.

Here's a few things I've found so far:
-For those who already have a DS, there is no need for a flash, so you can go straight to purchasing the dongle.
-Activation is much easier compared to the DS, simply turn-off traction control completely and you're ready.
-If you do have a DS already, you will have to unplug it. I have my DS set-up with an OBDII splitter (for my Cobb AP), so I tried plugging the dongle in at the same time as the DS and would get some weird behavior.
-The dongle is pretty big, so if you're plugging it into the OBDII port, you won't be able to close the port door, so you'll have to take it off as it will get in the way of your left leg or hack a huge hole on it. Those with a Cobb AP: the trick of relocating the port will not work as the dongle is too big to "tuck-in".
-Actuation appears to be done via the parking break sensor, so you only have to pull the hand break enough until you see the "(!)" light on the dash come on. This was a little tricky for me since the DS assembly is so huge and gets in the way, but I found that the travel needed isn't far enough to get to the first "click", so you don't even need to hold the hand brake button down. This might be a little bit harder to do when in "the heat of the moment", so I would still advice holding down on the button.

We'll be getting some more rain this weekend here in sunny Cali, so I'll be able to do some more testing. Post any requests and I'll see if I can try things out.

I will be posting a full write-up eventually, but with the holidays coming, it will be closer to Jan. I will also be posting little updates on my Insta @BigFatFlip

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
A few weeks ago, I was approached by @TomekRST about testing his Drift DevICE ("dongle") and comparing it to my Ford Performance Driftstick ("DS"), so he sent me a free one in exchange for feedback and a review.

Here's a few things I've found so far:
-For those who already have a DS, there is no need for a flash, so you can go straight to purchasing the dongle.
-Activation is much easier compared to the DS, simply turn-off traction control completely and you're ready.
-If you do have a DS already, you will have to unplug it. I have my DS set-up with an OBDII splitter (for my Cobb AP), so I tried plugging the dongle in at the same time as the DS and would get some weird behavior.
-The dongle is pretty big, so if you're plugging it into the OBDII port, you won't be able to close the port door, so you'll have to take it off as it will get in the way of your left leg or hack a huge hole on it. Those with a Cobb AP: the trick of relocating the port will not work as the dongle is too big to "tuck-in".
-Actuation appears to be done via the parking break sensor, so you only have to pull the hand break enough until you see the "(!)" light on the dash come on. This was a little tricky for me since the DS assembly is so huge and gets in the way, but I found that the travel needed isn't far enough to get to the first "click", so you don't even need to hold the hand brake button down. This might be a little bit harder to do when in "the heat of the moment", so I would still advice holding down on the button.

We'll be getting some more rain this weekend here in sunny Cali, so I'll be able to do some more testing. Post any requests and I'll see if I can try things out.

I will be posting a full write-up eventually, but with the holidays coming, it will be closer to Jan. I will also be posting little updates on my Insta @BigFatFlip

View attachment 337700
You can just unplug the OBDII connector from the door and leave it plugged in behind the dash?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hello Everyone,

sorry for delay but we had to figure all the things out and choose / establish the best solution for flashing process.

Well, we decided to have not any representatives in North America. Long story short - nowadays bring us opportunities and technologies to shorten the path between manufacture and end customer without sacrificing things such a support quality and product availability to name a few. It has a huge impact on many aspects including lower product price.

OK, to the point :))
We offer you 3 options:

- rent a flasher and let us do the magic online. Send back flasher and get 100% refund.

- make a group of interested in buying Drift devICE RS owners who can meet together in one place. Be the the master of this group (minimum 3 persons) flash their cars and get 50% off for your unit.

- wait till late spring 2020. FIY (Flash It Yourself) version of Drift devICE should be ready.

Flasher rental cost (100% refundable) should be around 700$. Starts on January 2020.

As I need to collect reputation carma points ((; I decided to:

• send demo unit to BigFatFlip (thanks for your help and review)
  • flash in person users who can meet me in Los Angeles 14-20th of January 2020
  • flash in person users who can meet me in New York (February / March - exact dates depends on weather conditions)
Thanks for reading. Feel free to ask me a questions here / PM / [email protected]

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
If you plan a trip from NY to Montreal and Toronto (GTA) when you’re around in feb/march let me know I would definitely be interested, although I’d love to have such a thing installed earlier this winter! I’m hoping there would be at least a bunch of buyers in the GTA, maybe not so much in Mtl though :-(

Will not drive 6 hours to get the car flashed though! How big is that tuner/flasher? I’m guessing we would need to have it shipped along with the dongle and then ship it back at our expense, trying to figure out if it will add much cost to the total, unless you reduced the pricing accordingly bow that you no longer need to have associated tuner shops to perform the flash... Might be interested in that option too once reviews start being posted and get my impulsivity back!

Either buying this or putting that money on top of what I’m already setting aside for building a new house next year! I though I was done modding this car until this came out, I’ll be easily convinced if reviews are as good as what it seems we can expect!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
How big is that tuner/flasher? I’m guessing we would need to have it shipped along with the dongle and then ship it back at our expense, trying to figure out if it will add much cost to the total,
Package weight - 3lbs. Return shipping cost is covered by me.
As I'm going to stay more than one week (on January) in LA (California) we can manage shipping there and back flasher if you are interested in. PM me bro.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I'm fine waiting for the flash yourself version in the spring as my car is down for the winter.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Interesting, so those with ABS module already flashed for a DS do not need to flash it. Sounds like the module is just eching the parking brake signal as the DS input signal without restricting to a single drive mode.

Is your flash done through ProCal? If so I have ProCal and an extra DS that I should be able to flash through if the flash image is not Vin locked for those in Eastern NC, or at TotD meets.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Interesting, so those with ABS module already flashed for a DS do not need to flash it. Sounds like the module is just eching the parking brake signal as the DS input signal without restricting to a single drive mode.

Is your flash done through ProCal? If so I have ProCal and an extra DS that I should be able to flash through if the flash image is not Vin locked for those in Eastern NC, or at TotD meets.
Sorry, but we do not comment backend details. All what I can say is we do not flash thru ProCal and DS.
Drift devICE compatibility with DS flash is extra (not planned) feature and is due to the same CAN signal trigger.

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Package weight - 3lbs. Return shipping cost is covered by me.
As I'm going to stay more than one week (on January) in LA (California) we can manage shipping there and back flasher if you are interested in. PM me bro.
Sorry, but we do not comment backend details. All what I can say is we do not flash thru ProCal and DS.
Drift devICE compatibility with DS flash is extra (not planned) feature and is due to the same CAN signal trigger.
I would PM you immediately to get it all organised ASAP seriously! But I need one thing clearly explained to me before I do and I am affraid I need to rely on the technical knowledge of other members to get an answer since you are reluctant to go into the details of how the programming is performed. I already asked a similar question by PM and got a similar answer to the one quoted above. Got my mind set on buying the full kit (dongle + stick) once this is cleared!

So maybe you of any other forum member can help me figure out how warranty friendly this flashing process would be. I know it's advertised as being warranty safe, my limited knowledge of those modules and the whole process is this should flash some ABS module, not the actual ECU (referring to ECU as the the engine management computer, whatever it's exact nomenclature is). If that's the case would the "key count" that is often referred to when flashing the ECU for performance purposes be affected when performing this drift stick programming/flashing process? Assuming your flashing process is flashing another module (such as the ABS module), my educated guess is it should not reset the key count and not be traceable in the ECU in any ways?

I am ready to risk the warranty on the ABS module(s) (that is if they can even find evidence that it has been reprogrammed) but if there is only a slight chance that it could reset that key count, I'm not going to risk it. Dealers here dont have to prove your mod caused an issue, they might deny warranty at the slighest evidence of any sort of tuning. And my car is likely going back in for post-HG work soon as I have been monitoring an oil leak and possible coolant consumption to gain more date before returning to the dealer for more repairs.

This car has not proven to be reliable enough for me to risk my 8yrs/150000km extended warranty on the powertrain and that risk outweight the fun benefits of having a DS. All that said, I've done a few Forscan mods on this car so far and if it's only flashing some ABS module (nothing else) and not leaving any more traces than, for example, Forscan mods, I'm all in to get the whole kit ASAP!

Thanks for your help to anyone who can clear this up for me! Thanks @TomekRST for coming up with various options to proceed with the flash. No offense I understand you need to keep some technical details secret! I dont want any details about all the magic you put into the dongle, just high level information to ensure this flashing process is low risk on the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Focus RS like many modern cars on the market has several ECUs inside. Every ECU has a calibration which tells ECU how to operate.

We do change few parameters just in one calibration. It doesn’t have any impact on ignition counter which sits absolutely in different ECU.

Moreover, our calibration number and checksums are identical like OEM Ford ones. So, not a chance to discover any “strange” things by Ford diagnosis.

Of course flashing the ECU process as it is void warranty but as I wrote we do not leave any suspicious evidence.
This is our definition of Warranty Friendly product.
Up to you, bro.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
To those who are interested, just posted my review here:

Thanks again to @TomekRST for the opportunity!

21 - 40 of 62 Posts