Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new to the forums.

I currently have a 2016 Focus ST (ST3 trim) and overall have enjoyed it a lot. I've been running just a Stage 1 tune for a while and was considering getting to parts to go Stage 3, but when I scheduled my next oil change, I noticed my dealer had a 2017 Certified Pre-Owned Focus RS in inventory.

I went and test drove it yesterday and definitely liked how it drove compared to the ST, particularly the added grip/traction from the AWD setup. After that I've been thinking it may be better to just keep the ST stock (hardware wise) if I'm thinking of trading it on a CPO RS in the near future.

The RS I test drove wasn't the color or trim (RS1) I wanted, but I've been looking around for other CPO RS's now and found one out of state.

It had the head gasket recall done, but then later the engine was totally replaced. My guess is, prior to the head gasket recall, the damage to the engine had already been done (cracked block, or cylinder head, etc). It has about 30k total miles, and on ~7k on the new engine.

Since it had an engine replacement and given the fact it's certified pre-owned with an 84 month/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, would you have any hesitation yourself in purchasing something like this? I got to thinking, if the engine was actually replaced, maybe that'd be better than one that had the head gasket recall, but no engine replacement since there could be more potential for damage having been done to the engine before the head gasket recall was done on the original engine.

It's an out of state dealer for me (about 7 hours each way), but it's the color and trim I'd want at a decent price. Your input would be much appreciated. I pretty much would want it to be a purchasing decision I'd regret and have rather hung onto my ST, but having test driven an RS, the extra traction/grip is very noticeable. Either way, I'd be looking to do autocross with my ST if I hang onto it, or in an RS if I end up getting one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I ended up going for it and I'm extremely happy thus far. Engine has a manufacture date of 2018, only 8-9k miles on the new engine, and being a Certified Pre-Owned, from now I have a 5.5 year/70k mile bumper to bumper as well as powertrain warranty. It was a great price, RS2 package with moonroof, color I wanted (black). This was probably my best chance to get everything I wanted in it with a solid warranty. Already came with window tints as well as an AWE Track Exhaust (which they certified it with).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sorry no one chimed in on your first post. That is an amazing combination of warranties, the original powertrain warranty is 5 years / 60k so you've outdone us all. As long as the replacement was done by the dealer and you have all the paperwork and support, drive and enjoy. Post some photos when you get a chance!

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Welcome!

Car is Certified Pre-Owned with 84 months 100K miles, its a good deal!

I have a brand new with 8yrs/100k miles warranty on mine on my MY18 NB.

You'll enjoy it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just wouldn't be afraid of any reengined car, I would prefer them to a headgasket car I think
That was kind of my reasoning... Doing the research I had, I sort of felt better getting one with only 8-9k miles on a new engine. If it just had the headgasket done without a new engine, there could still be potential issues down the line from what occurred before the headgasket recall was done. I'll get a few pictures up tomorrow when I have time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.

Here are some pics. This was the day after I got it and driving almost 500 miles, so it's not the cleanest. Lots of bug splats driving at night :/

·
5,582 Posts
Congratulations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. With the hg issues that a lot of these cars had it may be better off with a whole new engine anyway. Enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
123 Posts
How are you liking it so far? How did it drive on the open highway for 500+ miles & how were the MPGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How are you liking it so far? How did it drive on the open highway for 500+ miles & how were the MPGs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Enjoying it overall and don't regret it so far. The drive home was a little tiring though and the exhaust drone isn't something I'd want to get into the habit of road trips with, but for 1-2 hours it's not a big deal to me at least.

I ended up averaging about 25mpg on the trip coming home going about 77 most of the way. Normal mixed commuting I seem to be getting 21-22mpg.

I will say, I think the ST is better for someone looking for just a fun daily driver. It's more practical (better mpg), quiter, comfortable (softer suspension), larger sidewall tires and still enough power and handling and headroom for mods to have fun with.

But the RS has the extra edge performance wise. Way more grip, and handles noticeably better. It just more confidence inspiring. If you're not planning to do autocross, track, or at least hitting up some nice curvy roads often though, the RS may not be worth it. That's my opinion on the ST vs RS anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
Glad to see and hear you got your RS! Congrats! The exhaust is a but too much firing drives.

I had more harsher cars in the past, I am happy with the RS. And I am sure you'll love it too. You're stuck with us now! 😋

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks! Mine specifically already had an AWE Track Edition exhaust on it which can drone a decent bit. I like it overall, but I'm sure stock is more pleasant on the freeway.

I did give it a thorough cleaning a couple weekends ago, but it's already fairly dirty from driving in rain again.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts