Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dealership near me has a 2017 Focus RS listed for around $26.5k with 31k miles on it. It is listed as a dealer buyback. I checked with their service department and they told me the initial owner was having problems with oil leaking.

This continued until it was bought back at which point Ford performed the recall work on the head gasket and they said the issue is resolved now.

I interested in it obviously because of the price but still weary about whether buying a car with that kind of title is worth it.

They also have a 2017 ST with the ST3 package for 19k, 21k miles, which is the other vehicle I'm looking at.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions?

Cheers and thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Call your insurance & give them the VIN on the RS. I say that because I have AAA & I was told they will not insure a buyback vehicle regardless of what the issue was.

Personally, I know you’re probably just looking to save money, but I’d avoid it & find a clean title & owner owner RS for around 30-33k.

I seen several, however distance & shipping costs are the main issues with me. Oh & buying sight unseen isn’t exactly the smartest decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't even think about the insurance. I have geico.

Thanks for your input guys. I've been shopping around for a few months now and came across that one. Would probably be best to avoid I agree.

Cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I came across a buyback or two in my search and decided to avoid them as well. For me personally, it had to either be a certified pre-owned or new.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found several buybacks that were priced too closely to clean title cars to even be considered. Ended up finding mine shortly thereafter and glad I waited

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whats funny is the dealership has 2 RS for sale. One is 26.5k the other is 32.5k and they are BOTH buybacks. They listed the 26.5k one initially for 30k then have slowly dropped it over the last 2 months bc no one is buying it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
whats funny is the dealership has 2 RS for sale. One is 26.5k the other is 32.5k and they are BOTH buybacks. They listed the 26.5k one initially for 30k then have slowly dropped it over the last 2 months bc no one is buying it.
Yeah there's a dealership in Corydon, IN with the same situation. They wouldn't budge on pricing

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yea, prices are all over the place. Saw a few buybacks at a Ford Dealer in the Midwest a few months ago. They’re asking 32k for branded titles & yet I could buy a clean title RS for 32-33k. It makes no sense. Ford dealers feel as though they can mark them up even though the title of the car is ruined.

Buybacks need to be substantially reduced in price. They try to sell you on ‘oh there’s nothing wrong’ or ‘repairs were made & it’s good as new’.

Really? How many failed attempts were made by the previous owner & all of a sudden everything’s fine? Umm no.

This idea that Ford buys back new vehicles just because a customer is trying to complain enough to get out of a payment or has buyers remorse is nonsense. If that were the case, do you know how many cars would be buybacks every year? Some cars have gremlins & that’s why some insurance companies won’t touch them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i went and took a look at it bc i've known the sales dude for many years and had them pull the service history up.

bruh.

the check engine light came out during a test drive a week ago when someone else looked at it.

there were tons of issues with the engine leaking oil. Quickly left and went home.

gonna wait till i get a bit more income and find a clean title.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There’s currently a ‘17 Stealth Grey RS listed as a buyback on CarGuru’s with only 926 miles. Says it’s had 3 owners. Seriously? 3 owners & 926 miles + it’s a buyback? Yep & they want over 34k.

·
Registered
417 Posts
so i went and took a look at it bc i've known the sales dude for many years and had them pull the service history up.

bruh.

the check engine light came out during a test drive a week ago when someone else looked at it.

there were tons of issues with the engine leaking oil. Quickly left and went home.

gonna wait till i get a bit more income and find a clean title.

Reading stories like this is what's makes me lose all confidence in Ford or any carmaker in general....

Why didn't FORD simply trash the defective engine or re-claimed it for "study & engineering" purposes to IMPROVE and start over with a complete/brand-new 2.3L engine assembly to keep their customer happy in the first place?

·
Registered
123 Posts
buyback is as good as a salvaged title it would seem.

Might even be worse.... Salvage titles could be as simple as a theft recovery or minor hail damage etc. The unknown on a Lemon buyback would scare the hell out of me & I’m not sure I’d ever feel comfortable driving it. I’d probably find myself looking at the gauge cluster all the time, just waiting for the engine light or something to go wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just bought my 2016 RS, 26k miles and it was a buy back. The reason........the radio. Which is kinda funny because my radio isn't working now. :LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just bought my 2016 RS, 26k miles and it was a buy back. The reason........the radio. Which is kinda funny because my radio isn't working now. :LOL::LOL:

I’m curious, when you bought the car, did the dealer say that the issue(s) were solved & that it was covered under warranty?

And now since you’ve purchased it you’re saying that the ‘lemon’ issue is still a problem & the radio doesn’t work?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’m curious, when you bought the car, did the dealer say that the issue(s) were solved & that it was covered under warranty?

And now since you’ve purchased it you’re saying that the ‘lemon’ issue is still a problem & the radio doesn’t work?

Yes, when I bought it he told me the radio, I don't count the radio not working as a lemon. It's a radio. It's still under warranty and I am getting a new one. There were no other issues with the car at all. I even checked the carfax before I bought it and it came back clean except the buy back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, when I bought it he told me the radio, I don't count the radio not working as a lemon. It's a radio. It's still under warranty and I am getting a new one. There were no other issues with the car at all. I even checked the carfax before I bought it and it came back clean except the buy back.

Wait, the car was Lemon lawed because of the infotainment system? Then, the dealer supposedly ‘fixed’ the issues & sold it to you? And now, the same issues that Lemon lawed the car to begin with came back & they’re giving you a brand new infotainment system? That makes no sense whatsoever on their behalf. I often wonder what the percentage is of people trying to get out of a payment vs. vehicles that actually have gremlins, when it comes to buyback cars.

Steve Lehto on YouTube has a great explanation on buyback vehicles & why to avoid them. I’d encourage anyone thinking about purchasing one to go & check out his video(s).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would say it’s more than the radio, there is no way it took more than 30 days or 5 times to replace the radio. Something is going untold....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well all I can say for now is we will see, I will definitely post any problem I happen to encounter. As of right now I'm happy with what I bought.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts