Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else have a sticker shock moment once you built and got out the door pricing on your RS?

I am paying MSRP, every option but the sticky rubber, and moon roof.

The final out the door price? A little tad over 44,000.

I really want the RS, but man is this getting expensive.

Add 2k for Winter Wheel/Tire and clear bra. Nearing 50k in a hurry. I originally thought on paying 35K for the RS, x-plan and such.

I am at the point, once some tests are out, if it doesn't meet all my expectations, I will walk. The stats are all there on paper. Now it just has to execute it.

With the price escalating quickly, I cannot help but look at the other options. I really am torn.

I can save 10K right now and buy a 10K mile 2013 S4 6-speed.

After test driving a 2013 Shelby GT500, I cannot stop thinking about it. Wish I never drove it, my roots are originally from mustangs. 2011-12 GT500 can be had for high 30's, low 40's. Some 13-14 GT500s are now under 50K. If I could find a decent shape low mile 13/14 for the same OTD price as the RS, my decision would be made. :D

Then at 44K I am getting near the prices of certain CPO C63's, and CLA45's.

Another thought was forget all this cost, go cheap and pick up a used 5.0.

And after all that, I still DO want the RS. :eek:

Am I the only one struggling with this? It is near maddening. Haha.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No, you're not the only one. I am paying MSRP also, but after calculating all the extra fees, taxes, options and such...it's still hard for me to justify. I know I will absolutely regret it if I don't get one though. I'm 23 years old, and do not make near the amount of cash it seems like the majority of the guys on here do. I definitely understand.

·
Registered
314 Posts
[video]https://instagram.com/p/wpSpKvLCRv/?fb_action_ids=689020767879977&fb_action_types=instapp%3Atake&fb_ref=ogexp&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B888738124484076%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22instapp%3Atake%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%22ogexp%22%5D[/video]

I feel like most of the time in my life, between cars in general and drag racing...this video perfectly describes everything lol.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Only you can make that decision. A year ago I had planned to buy out the lease on my S6 and keep it as my long term DD. However, I have now moved to a much more expensive area and planning to make some big career/life changes over the next year. Along these lines, the things I think about are:

Pros:
- better gas mileage (commute ~30k miles annually)
- more practicality with the hatchback
- cheaper parts/service

Cons:
- not nearly as luxurious
- not as refined exterior styling IMO (S6 is much classier but still subtly aggressive)
- RS is slower
- RS AWD will likely be a step down compared to the S6's quattro with crown gear center diff and rear sport diff. (but hoping it's not too bad)

To be honest I'd rather keep the S6 long term, but the RS will be more practical.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Buy my R32. ;) You'll have all kinds of money left over.

·
Registered
314 Posts
No guarantee the RS will be still available to us in 2 years. I'm getting it now not gonna gamble on the future.
Agreed. I have my order in now, who knows what the next few years will have in store for the RS. I'd like to think I am lucky getting a car that hopefully not everyone is going to have and it truly is going to be limited production. But, it's "not just a Focus" :D

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That's my logic and I agree it's "not just a Focus"
Agreed. I have my order in now, who knows what the next few years will have in store for the RS. I'd like to think I am lucky getting a car that hopefully not everyone is going to have and it truly is going to be limited production. But, it's "not just a Focus" :D

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Slightly used maybe in 2 years. I also planned 35-40K one reason why I wouldn't mind if it stayed FWD. The RS does get up their and in terms of price vs the ST you are talking close to 15K over a loaded ST, which is half the price of the ST in the first place. It takes me a long time to make a car purchase, sometimes more the 2 years especially on new models where I'm on the forums before the vehicle is even confirmed. I also have hope that when the 2017s start coming in we may be able to work a few deals. The word is that MY will be built to demand and I'm sure dealers won't like having a 45K Focus just sitting on the lots for too long. I work for a Chevy dealer and C7s are only getting more affordable, then spend $800 on a winter beater and you are go to go. That is just an option but as of now, as much as I want the RS and as long as I have waited since I had my SVT focus and drooled over what Europe was getting, I'm ok sitting back a little and seeing how it plays out. I know people were getting my ST for about 4 grand less then what I paid for by waiting until the second year, but you never know.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
There will be some initial sticker shock when they hit the show rooms, that's for sure. But once people see the (alleged) performance to dollar value, they won't be on the lot for long. Remember the Evo was just a hyped up lancer/mirage unless you were one to watch what was going on over seas. Same for the sti. Now those names are icons. The RS name plate has an even longer history than both of those, it just went over seas for a bit. That's why I don't mind dropping 40k to be one of the first to get it. Yea, wait a couple years and you will start to see factory incrntives. But by that time the newness has worn off at least for anybody on here.

·
Registered
742 Posts
The focus fits my needs exactly, so I would probably pay any amount of money to get that. When I was given the out the door price, I thought it was pretty expensive for a focus, but there isn't another car that fits what I want and makes me happy at the same time.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There will be some initial sticker shock when they hit the show rooms, that's for sure. But once people see the (alleged) performance to dollar value, they won't be on the lot for long. Remember the Evo was just a hyped up lancer/mirage unless you were one to watch what was going on over seas. Same for the sti. Now those names are icons. The RS name plate has an even longer history than both of those, it just went over seas for a bit. That's why I don't mind dropping 40k to be one of the first to get it. Yea, wait a couple years and you will start to see factory incrntives. But by that time the newness has worn off at least for anybody on here.
In 2003-2004, the Evo's I was looking at new were closer to 30K OTD. Now looking at nearly 50% more. The 03 Evo was tested by MT to 4.6 0-60. The 04 RS was even quicker at 4.4, and running low 13's. All with great handling to boot. Super impressive for the time, and even still competitive by today's standards.

Adjusted for inflation we are looking at 37-38K. Meaning a nearly 20% jump in cost. Granted, if they start dealing on the RS, like they were at the time I was looking at the evos, that gap will shrink.

If the RS shocks the world with its performance like the EVO 8 did over a decade ago, that premium will not be so bad.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Ford did state they want to make vehicles like the RS more often. Does that mean a 5 year or 3 year spread instead of 7, we don't know. There is a chance this RS may be around for more then 2 years, but that I think that has more to do with the current model life then it being an RS. I do think we won't have to wait as long until the next Gen RS though.

Could be a change in the way Ford deals with RS cars.. but, history says no.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
29 Participants
Noodles
Ford Focus RS Forum
FocusRS.org is the largest forum community to discuss the 2016+ Focus RS. Join to talk about performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing