Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the auto stop/start feature get disabled? Because I never experienced it yet, and damn this thing eats gas! I know it’s annoying but gas is $4.40/gal

So with the RS I can’t change the colors to interior lighting? But I could with the SE/SES/Titanium?

I’ve finally gotten used to driving a 6sp! My previous car was a 5sp with a much lighter clutch and lower friction point.

Why aren’t there proper cupholders in the rear? Didn’t the ST have a folding arm rest in the backseat?
I have had anyone sit in the back yet but that time will come.

Is there a way to get 20 MPG without a having a road trip? I’ve averaged between 17-19 MPG’s each fillup

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
Battery might the cause of the auto start stop. Mine stopped working after 2.5 yrs of owning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if the battery reaches a certain level the auto start stop is disabled? When I come to a stop, the icon appears on the display but it’s greyed out of that means anything?

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,231 Posts
This car should have never come with auto start/stop to begin with, period.
This! First thing I had my tuner do was disable it. Cars have been manufactured for years without it. I'd rather save my battery life.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So if the battery reaches a certain level the auto start stop is disabled? When I come to a stop, the icon appears on the display but it’s greyed out of that means anything?
If you read the manual, it states that certain conditions have to be met for it to work, engine temp, ac level are a couple of things that come to memory regarding this. And if you battery is on its way out, it won't work also.
But as others have said, this has been turned off on mine from the get go, if you have a Cobb AP you can switch it off with that too.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
185 Posts
I'm one of the minority RS owners who also enjoys the start/stop. You need to check your battery age, because it will not activate if your battery is too old (or the car thinks it's too old). My car had it's battery replaced about 3 months before I bought it, but battery age was not reset. Once I used Forscan to reset it suddenly the start/stop was happening at every stop.

My opinion is if my engine doesn't need to be running, why should it be? I've saved several minutes of wear on my engine at a time. While some may argue the start/stop cycle causes more wear than just running it, I think an at-operating temp engine can handle a start/stop cycle with less wear than keeping it running. By now you also realized I'm OCD and somehow the start/stop satisfies that lol.

Fords reason is obviously for emissions, as the RS is an emissions pig so by adding this ridiculous feature for a performance car they save that much more money with emissions penalties. It makes zero sense for the RS to have it, that I can agree with, but I'm also glad they added it for my personal preference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have not seen MPG drop blow 21 on my car. I have averaged 21-23 between each fill up with mostly in the 22. And all of this is city use and have never taken it on a road trip. And yes, start/stop stopped working for me a year back. I have to admit, it was annoying.

·
Premium Member
2016 RS
1,112 Posts
One of the conditions that Auto Start/Stop gets disabled under is Battery State of Charge (SOC) below 69%. Our cars sat around for months during the process of building and getting them to our dealers. Then, once the initial demand was satisfied, many sat on dealer lots for many additional months before they were purchased. All of this reduced the battery's capacity to hold a charge. It was not surprising when AS/S stopped working and owner's started reporting other odd electrical issues. And now we are seeing batteries getting replaced but the battery status not getting reset.

·
Registered
Sept/2016
234 Posts
Auto start- Hardly ever worked for me, disabled it asap.
Color- Thought the same thing coming from an ST3
Cupholders- Same as above. Had them, but not in the RS. Good excuse for my nephew to not get soda at the gas stations lmao
MPG- I do really well on the highway, terrible in the city. ~21-22mpg for me, but on a long trip I've gotten 26mpg over like 3500 miles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Def battery. Mine did the same.

I’m tempted to put an old battery back in just to disable it.
So i guess my battery is on the way out? Not sure if it's the original from 17'. But so far no starting issues

·
Premium Member
5,848 Posts
I think your battery is still fine, it just does not meet the parameters to do auto start stop.

Reactions: Slurve

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not seen MPG drop blow 21 on my car. I have averaged 21-23 between each fill up with mostly in the 22. And all of this is city use and have never taken it on a road trip. And yes, start/stop stopped working for me a year back. I have to admit, it was annoying.
Clearly you aren't driving your car IMO. Only time I average anything over 20 is highways/open roads.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
530 Posts
Good gas mileage depends on a little bit of discipline and properly managing your car's energy. Steady state cruising at an appropriate RPM, accelerate on downhills if you can, go the speed limit, and take advantage of the auto stop/start if you can get it working. You'll have no problem clearing 20 miles per gallon even in the city. My average down in Portland was around 23mpg around town.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Regarding battery, you might start seeing electrical gremlins. I first lost Start/Stop, but thought nothing of it. Eventually I started getting weird situations where I would turn off my car and it would go dead-dead instead of the typical shutting down process like some kind of controller just died. Dealership was useless in trying to diagnose it because they kept trying to replicate it - which is unlikely to happen because that's the nature of intermittent issues. I was told they could not reach out to Ford engineering either without repro - even though the service tech literally saw it happen when I dropped the car off. Swapping the battery on recommendation of forum users solved the problem.

Anyway, bitching aside, if you start seeing gremlins, don't panic - it might be your battery.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts