Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just sold my 2007 GTI, and have been interested in the RS for quite sometime. My father is telling me I'm crazy considering a 2017 due to the HG issues and the fact that the 2018s have updates with suspension and stuff. The 2018s are still a little high on the price end. Day to day reliably wise how do they hold up and when trying to buy a used one what should I look out for?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey all, I just sold my 2007 GTI, and have been interested in the RS for quite sometime. My father is telling me I'm crazy considering a 2017 due to the HG issues and the fact that the 2018s have updates with suspension and stuff. The 2018s are still a little high on the price end. Day to day reliably wise how do they hold up and when trying to buy a used one what should I look out for?
I mean, what are you looking for in a car?

I would never buy an 18 because I don't want the RS2 package. I hate manufacturers infotainment with a passion, and I only use Android Auto. It's less distracting and more useful. I'm upgrading the suspension anyway, so it doesn't matter to me whether it was updated from the factory or not. Didnt bother with the catch cans yet cuz I'm getting the engine rebuilt sooner or later. Etctc. So it depends on what's important to you.

Generally, new cars are a bad way to spend your money. But if you want the RS, people are slightly delusional about their value on the resale, so new might be better, depending on your personal calculus.

I'll tell you what I don't like about the RS. I feel like this is a useful way to go about it, since it's the things you don't like that will drive you to sell a car. It's not a long list.

0) The front bumper. I want to know who the bloke is that designed this front bumper and install a highly inconvenient extension to the front of all his sneakers so he will trip over everything. Or she. I hate this front bumper with a passion. It scrapes so much. It sags. It's so fragile. It's put together in such a way that mending it is nearly impossible. Other people might not think too much about it, but this is the mountain I would die on with this car.

Just earlier today I ran it over a bump stop, then when I backed out it ripped the deflector out on it's right side. No big deal, but it was harder to push the tabs back in than it was... to do something else where you had to fit something.

1) The God damned turning radius. My friend is a pro driver, and the first time he drove the RS and tried to do a U turn, his reaction was "Woah. This turning radius." Even a year and a half later, every time I have to turn around my reaction is "Jesus H Christ this turning radius."

2) Visibility out the back. It's not the worst, and cars nowadays are almost all guilty, but damned if I didn't wish the blindspots are smaller.

3) Suspension stiffness. Yes, I do wish it was better dialed in, but it's not the end of the world. 90% of the time it's plenty comfortable. I live in LA, I have a '17 RS1, and for the most part, I don't get pogo. Rarely, if ever. I just wish the front suspension was raised more.

4) General design. For the most part it's pretty good, but every little bit here and there you wonder what incompetent fool got to do this? For example the front bumper. I guess I'm generally more anal about this aspect because I studied ID, but I really hate it when manufacturers make it hard for people to mend things. Or the tolerances are off. My hatch on the driver's side will chip it's paint off against the frame if I close it too hard. Gotta touch that bastard up once a month.

Also sometimes, if you're in normal mode, the engine stalls going into first. Something to do with the ECU, but it creates this situation where given identical grades and surfaces, it is sometimes unpredictable. I normally drive in drift mode and it doesn't happen if your throttle response is in sport, but I have stalled in really awkward situations on the normal setting.

Probably the most obvious way that it manifests itself is in the rattling. The seat belt adjuster rattles. It's not a hard fix, but it's not something that should happen. I've had three bolts back out at this point. One in the passenger front door, which was a pain to put back, and two in the hatch. I've applied a ridiculous amount of Loctite in this car. The hatch rattles.

But other than that, I have not needed to part with the car much. It's been plenty reliable for me, and I have not babied it at all. I took it for a three month off road trip. Destroyed the undertray and bent a fin, but other than that, nothing wrong.

I would say that the HG issue isn't an issue anymore. At this point they have all been fixed, especially if new, and even if they haven't, it's easy to check on the Ford website.

Most of the negatives you read on this forum are only negatives because we are tinkerers. If you're not into the aftermarket, then there really aren't many issues with the car. I used to have a Evo IX, and I justified all my aftermarket purchases by telling myself it's because the car was lacking in some aspect. Nowadays, being older, I'm honest with myself. Nothing wrong with the car... I just want the "upgrade." Because racecar.

The nice thing about this car is if you do want to tinker with it, just a few simple mods will result in a huge improvement in feel. Even if you don't want to do anything at all with the car, it's already great.

If you ask me, you really just need to do one thing to the car.

0) Shift cable bushings and transmission bracket bushings. I put them together cuz if you just do one without the other, it kinda comes out worse than stock.

If you just do that one mod, it drastically changes the feel.

If you want to take it a little further, these round out the simple things.

1) Air filter. If you get one with a solid end cap like the AEM Dryflow, there is no whistle. You don't need the sound suppression.

2) Matte PPF on the front bumper cross section, the black part. That is an expensive part, and if it gets scratched you can't detail it. You can detail the rest of the bumper. If nothing else, that black part you should protect.

If you go used, drive it over rough roads to get a sense of how bad that thing is rattling. That's a time intensive task, and it's not guaranteed they can mend every one. Then I would look underneath the car. That front bumper likes to scratch, and I wouldn't be surprised if the mounting point inside the wheel well has ripped off.
NB17RS1

·
Registered
65 Posts
SenderPiggins hits on some good points. I don't necessarily agree with all of them which is cool since it's all a matter of perspective...

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything other than a 2018 purely because of the HG issue with earlier models. While the vast majority of HG repairs goes without a hitch. I've seen a few too many threads/posts here and in other forums regarding "botched" HG repairs. HG repairs that had to be redone because there was still problems after the initial one was done; weird idling/running issues with the way their car runs post-work or other or other issues that weren't there prior to the work.

IMO, what you have to keep in mind with this car, is you are buying a "track car". It makes no compromise in certain areas and has shortcomings in others all for the sake of being very good on the track in stock trim (compared to alot of other cars). With that capability comes some rattles, a suspension that never really feels comfortable on the street (although not real bad), bolstered seats that may not very comfortable for some. I find the lower bolsters aren't quite wide enough for my thighs and have to move around to be settled in support and comfort.

Now that I've had my RS for a while now, I can see why some people don't keep them very long. Me, as a much older driver, would do better with more of a Grand Touring Sedan like a Kia Stinger, Porsche Panamera, or something of that type...

Shop around. I bought a certified pre-owned 2018 that was only 4 months old for 8k less than sticker and maybe 2k more than a pre-owned '16 or '17 (prices based on my area).

Reactions: KiwifromtheTron

·
Registered
662 Posts
SenderPiggins hits on some good points. I don't necessarily agree with all of them which is cool since it's all a matter of perspective...

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything other than a 2018 purely because of the HG issue with earlier models. While the vast majority of HG repairs goes without a hitch. I've seen a few too many threads/posts here and in other forums regarding "botched" HG repairs. HG repairs that had to be redone because there was still problems after the initial one was done; weird idling/running issues with the way their car runs post-work or other or other issues that weren't there prior to the work.

IMO, what you have to keep in mind with this car, is you are buying a "track car". It makes no compromise in certain areas and has shortcomings in others all for the sake of being very good on the track in stock trim (compared to alot of other cars). With that capability comes some rattles, a suspension that never really feels comfortable on the street (although not real bad), bolstered seats that may not very comfortable for some. I find the lower bolsters aren't quite wide enough for my thighs and have to move around to be settled in support and comfort.

Now that I've had my RS for a while now, I can see why some people don't keep them very long. Me, as a much older driver, would do better with more of a Grand Touring Sedan like a Kia Stinger, Porsche Panamera, or something of that type...

Shop around. I bought a certified pre-owned 2018 that was only 4 months old for 8k less than sticker and maybe 2k more than a pre-owned '16 or '17 (prices based on my area).
Undoubtedly. We all come at this car from different angles, and no two experiences are identical. Some things people complain about in this car I can't even empathise with. Most things I complain about people look at me weird. Rightly so, because I'm a weirdo.

I definitely agree with you about the track focus. Rather, they want you to FEEL that this is a track focused car. I think the team behind this car had to make some calls to keep it in this price bracket, and that resulted in the GT portion suffering.

I'm still south of 30 (barely) so I feel like the track focused feeling is livable, even though I complain about BMW's suspension specs being too stiff for Los Angeles roads. I also bought this car to daily, with a long term plan to turn it into a track car once the offspring start appearing.

But I lent it to my dad for a month when I was on a business trip, and he absolutely hated it. Had nothing, NOTHING, good to say about the car.

So I guess that was a long winded way of saying this car is for a small subset of people. And it's up to the buyer to decide whether they are a part of that.

NB17RS1

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Get the 18 new is possible (if you can live with those colors)...HG corrected at Factory, LSD , etc....jmho...I have never been a fan of used sports/performance type vehicles, less mula in the 401K can attest to that...

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Obviously don't buy one that has not had the HG done, or is having issue after such.
So that's a given. Why would you?
Most like myself have had the work done without issue and some have even upgraded to ARP head studs in the process.
Don't buy into the hysteria, and remember you hear about more complaints on the interwebs, as satisfied owners don't necessarily post up.
To be honest, I kind of find the LE superiority complex annoying.

So based on all that, I wouldn't pay more than the ugraded LSD, what maybe $2k at best, and not even sure that you need or want that at the extra premium.
As far as the Suspension goes, kinda a matter of likes, I don't find the car one bit overly harsh. Sure in Track mode on a not really smooth road it can get pogo-y, but on a good flat surface track mode is nice.
If anyone has ever had coil overs, this ride is not harsh, is it for everyone's dailydriver, prolly not, but it's an RS not an SE. No way I want a mush soft ride, I'd get an VW R for that.
All the other stuff, it's the same car.

Reactions: SVT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts