Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm coming over from the Focus ST forums to ask you guys for a bit of advice since these forums seem a lot more active than the thread over there. Anyway, I currently have a 2013 Focus ST3 and I really like it. Before I bought it, I was looking for a new car for a long time. I just couldn't make up my mind. My two biggest choices were a Pontiac G8 GT and a Focus ST. Obviously I chose the latter but I've regretted not going for the big V8 ever since. While I love the look of the G8, not having comforts like navigation, keyless everything, and good seats persuaded me to go over to the ST. One thing I love is to stand out. I love to have a car that not everyone has. While you don't see many Focus ST's around, there are plenty of normal Focus' around and it's a bit harder to stand out among them.

Anyway, I'm getting off of track. It's no secret that one of the ST's biggest faults is FWD. You can have the car make as much power as you want but it's useless if the car can't get the power down. It's also annoying to be able to spin the tires from any gear/RPM in rain/snow. So when an AWD Focus with even more power was announced, I was all over it. I'm very interested in the Focus ST but another car that has always had my interest is the Chevy SS. For those who don't know, the Chevy SS is a big V8 sedan. It's powered by the LS3 motor and makes 415HP/415TQ but being an LS motor, it's very easy to get more power out of them. They have good interiors and a very sleeper-ish look. They don't have any trim levels and everything besides the sunroof and spare tire are standard options. All-in-all they go for $50,000 with both of those options compared to the Focus RS' fully loaded $40,000. I want to stress that money really isn't a factor in all of this. Both cars would be bought outright.

But other than that, I can't make up my mind. Are there any V8 fans out there? Anyone know anything about the Chevy SS or know anyone with one?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I was deciding between mustang GT and RS and picked RS due to the fact that you can drive it more aggressively on the street safely. RS should instill confidence while I was always concerned with putting the mustang into a tree.

·
Registered
167 Posts
OP, I think it would come down to personal preference and driving style. The SS is an awesome package no doubt and it should get much more praise than it already does. Lots of tech and a spiritual successor to the G8 GXP. Great if you want a Cruiser and more luxurious ride with great power, quite heavy though. Would make a great DD.

The Focus RS will be a much more nimble, lighter weight car that should be just as quick as the SS minus the sweet V8 noise. Probably not quite as comfortable as the SS and rear seat occupants won't be as comfortable.

Personally the reason I didn't go for a new stingray (the other car I was looking at) is the questionable recent history of GM and the resurgance of Ford. That, plus exclusivity of the RS and heritage, cargo room, and the torque vectoring handling prowess are the reasons I went with an RS. Plus after watching the Icon videos and listening to the Ford Performance guys gush about the RS, you can't help but feel their passion for this car, and i have no doubt that it will exceed expectations. If things go as planned the RS is my DD and a 570S will be my weekend fun :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OP, I think it would come down to personal preference and driving style. The SS is an awesome package no doubt and it should get much more praise than it already does. Lots of tech and a spiritual successor to the G8 GXP. Great if you want a Cruiser and more luxurious ride with great power, quite heavy though. Would make a great DD.

The Focus RS will be a much more nimble, lighter weight car that should be just as quick as the SS minus the sweet V8 noise. Probably not quite as comfortable as the SS and rear seat occupants won't be as comfortable.

Personally the reason I didn't go for a new stingray (the other car I was looking at) is the questionable recent history of GM and the resurgance of Ford. That, plus exclusivity of the RS and heritage, cargo room, and the torque vectoring handling prowess are the reasons I went with an RS. Plus after watching the Icon videos and listening to the Ford Performance guys gush about the RS, you can't help but feel their passion for this car, and i have no doubt that it will exceed expectations. If things go as planned the RS is my DD and a 570S will be my weekend fun :)
I do really like the Stingray's but I do have a '94 Corvette that's been in my family since it first rolled off the lot and I don't plan on having two 'Vettes at this point in my life. But I get what you're saying. I'll have to test drive both in 2016 when I'll be able to find some at dealerships. One of the concerns about the SS is that it's RWD and since I live in North Jersey, we do get snow in the Winter. While 4000lbs, TC, and snow tires will make the issue practically non-existent, AWD always wins IMO. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of hatchbacks. If the ST/RS was offered in a sedan, this would probably be a lot easier.

But again, I'll have to test drive both when I can. Good luck with the 570S! I almost bought a GT-R last year but I really need 4 doors for my DD. The new CTS-V is also another good choice.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Not sure I would categorize the SS as having a "very sleeper-ish look", but I imagine if you de-badge them it would be very hard to tell if you were up against a 315HP V6 or a 560rwhp breathed-on SS. As mentioned, it's going to come down to personal style and intent, also whether and how much you want to mod it. I expect both will be good cars but I am really hoping that the handling of the RS turns it into a unique experience.

Jim

·
Registered
338 Posts
I was deciding between mustang GT and RS and picked RS due to the fact that you can drive it more aggressively on the street safely. RS should instill confidence while I was always concerned with putting the mustang into a tree.
I see GT's everywhere now. Like camaros, mustangs are just not special unless they're Shelbys or rousch, or saleens ect. The RS however will def stand out even from regular foci. They're like, EVO's in the sense that you don't see them everyday and even though its a lancer its hard to tell the similarities between a regular lancer and EVO. But I digress, like you OP I prefer the RS because of its exclusivity and its uniqueness.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
G8s make good power but they're pigs and in real world situations they're slow. Really slow. I guess they inherited this trait from the GTOs.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I see GT's everywhere now. Like camaros, mustangs are just not special unless they're Shelbys or rousch, or saleens ect. The RS however will def stand out even from regular foci. They're like, EVO's in the sense that you don't see them everyday and even though its a lancer its hard to tell the similarities between a regular lancer and EVO. But I digress, like you OP I prefer the RS because of its exclusivity and its uniqueness.
Exclusivity was also a huge selling point for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll definitely have to test drive both but the SS and RS are the two I'm deciding between. Both should be pretty exclusive. I see a ton of ST's around me but I've only seen 3 SS' in person and one of them was on display haha

To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the RS just because of AWD. But I know I'll still kick myself for not going with the V8 again...oh well, I still have plenty of time to decide!

·
Registered
555 Posts
What part of the country you in, it might be awhile before you can test drive one if the dealers in your zip or 500mile radius have sold their allocations. You might have to go to Cali to the stealers out their for a test drive, then the $40 loaded(which is off, try $43,345) + ADM= $53.345+TTL

·
Registered
558 Posts
I love me a good V8 too, and the LT1 in the Camaro is hugely impressive - but sitting in the new Camaro made it evident that it would be a totally different experience driving a car that massive, and with that limited outward visibility, compared to a Focus. It's going to depend a lot on where you drive - I might go for a Camaro if I was only driving on rural highways, but living in a heavily trafficked mega-city the RS is the clear choice, driving the Camaro in this environment would be quite stressful given those attributes I mentioned. The SS, I suspect, would have some of the same limitations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What part of the country you in, it might be awhile before you can test drive one if the dealers in your zip or 500mile radius have sold their allocations. You might have to go to Cali to the stealers out their for a test drive, then the $40 loaded(which is off, try $43,345) + ADM= $53.345+TTL
I'm located in Northern Jersey. I don't have a set time to buy either so I'm not in a huge hurry, just trying to gauge my options. $53k isn't really much of an issue if I'm willing to pay $50k for an SS outright, though. Price isn't really the factor here, it's more about which one is right for me, I suppose and which one is the better deal.

I love me a good V8 too, and the LT1 in the Camaro is hugely impressive - but sitting in the new Camaro made it evident that it would be a totally different experience driving a car that massive, and with that limited outward visibility, compared to a Focus. It's going to depend a lot on where you drive - I might go for a Camaro if I was only driving on rural highways, but living in a heavily trafficked mega-city the RS is the clear choice, driving the Camaro in this environment would be quite stressful given those attributes I mentioned. The SS, I suspect, would have some of the same limitations.
I generally drive 400+ miles a week. At least 75 a day (Mon-Fri) for my commute for work. Out of those 75 miles, I'd say 70 of them are highway miles. That being said, taking the Parkway home every night; I definitely see bumper-to-bumper at least once a week.

·
Registered
338 Posts
IDK how the mpg rating on an SS is but even with the RS 2.3 you should see good economy. My ST gets about 34 highway and can stretch the tank about about 360miles a fill up.

Either way one of the guys I work with has an SS, and even I'm kinda jealous about it. Either car is a great choice, but obviously I'm biased toward one =P

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Not sure I would categorize the SS as having a "very sleeper-ish look", but I imagine if you de-badge them it would be very hard to tell if you were up against a 315HP V6 or a 560rwhp breathed-on SS. As mentioned, it's going to come down to personal style and intent, also whether and how much you want to mod it. I expect both will be good cars but I am really hoping that the handling of the RS turns it into a unique experience.

Jim
Everytime I see one coming down the road I have to ask myself if it's an SS or a Malibu I usually can't tell until I see one from the rear, then I ask, or was that an Impala?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Everytime I see one coming down the road I have to ask myself if it's an SS or a Malibu I usually can't tell until I see one from the rear, then I ask, or was that an Impala?
Glad I'm not the only one that actually can't tell them apart. I usually go with Impalabu or Malipala. Or "One of those GM boats." I've never seen an SS in person.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
My bad, thought the OP was talking about the SS Camaro.

Jim

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one that actually can't tell them apart. I usually go with Impalabu or Malipala. Or "One of those GM boats." I've never seen an SS in person.
I raced one in my ST about a month ago. I've seen (or perhaps noticed) them 4 or 5 times in the last couple years. I think they blend in really well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts