·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ford Focus RS Development Thread - Vorshlag Motorsports Forum

Clearly some personal feelings involved in this "professional" review. The RS has plenty of room for improvement but it's not nearly as bad as these guys are making out to be.
I read through that and I don't know if I would trust these guys to build parts. He didn't realize it was a twin clutch pack in the back at the beginning. Also the awd system complaints were not accurate it isn't front wheel drive most of the time, especially at the track. You will get a big ass error on the screen when it goes to fwd.

He is correct on our overheating issues. We're going to need rdu and engine coolers to go more than 20 minutes on a track.

Looking at track times our car seems to do well against the competition. It isn't ever going to stand up against a track built car, if I wanted that I would of bought and built a miata :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't get it though Ford themselves have said up to 30 mins of track time there's no absolute in life except death and taxes some days you may get 20 mins some days you may get 30 mins sh*t some days you may even get 40! Not sure what the big deal is it isn't like Ford lied and said yea you can go all day go nuts. W.e someone poo poo'd in his coffee and got his knickers twisted

Reactions: Blackcossie

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think its a decent write up, and I don't take him admitting that he wasn't aware of some features on the car as a reason to invalidate the points he brings up. He could've just as easily left out that part of the story.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well that's gonna go over like a pregnant pole vaulter with most of the members here.

Some of the author's obvious misses (ie center diff?) will lead many to discount everything he wrote. I offer that perhaps he hasn't read every article, watched every video and bought every magazine that mentioned the RS for the past year that most of us here have. Heck we even dissected the service manual when we first had access to it. He assessed the car based on how it drove, how it reacted on track and what the components actually looked like when they took it apart. There's no doubt that they uncovered some issues. I'm look forward to seeing the solutions.

Maybe they are biased because they want to sell us something. Ford wanted to sell us the RS.....

·
Registered
591 Posts
I get it, they're car guys and we're not. We don't know what were talking about nor do we really know what we want. They must feel so bad for us peons that can only afford an RS.

First things first, not everyone is going to track their car! These guys obviously track their cars and are looking for the weak spots. Good for them, and thanks for the help! I'm sure the Evo's and STi's had weak spots that you made fun of when you first put them on your lift.

Second, can we thank Ford for taking a FOCUS, a small budget, and turning it into the RS that led it to beating many of its rivals in one review after the other? If Ford produced the car they wanted, then it would cost $60k or more!

Good grief!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that's gonna go over like a pregnant pole vaulter with most of the members here.

Some of the author's obvious misses (ie center diff?) will lead many to discount everything he wrote. I offer that perhaps he hasn't read every article, watched every video and bought every magazine that mentioned the RS for the past year that most of us here have. Heck we even dissected the service manual when we first had access to it. He assessed the car based on how it drove, how it reacted on track and what the components actually looked like when they took it apart. There's no doubt that they uncovered some issues. I'm look forward to seeing the solutions.

Maybe they are biased because they want to sell us something. Ford wanted to sell us the RS.....
With the way he is responding on facebook, he wont be making anything for this car. He seems to be going out of his way to get a rise out of RS owners. Its too bad because I'm sure he could have made some improvements but some "video comments" caused him to take his ball and go home.

Reactions: SyncTheory13

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Honestly they aren't saying anything I didn't already know about the RS. Here's the thing though, I went into my purchase knowing full well that the RS is not a race car.

If I wanted a race car, I would've bought a GT 350R. I wanted a fun car that handles really well on the road. Not a track star.

I get a huge kick hearing people on the forums getting all butthurt because the RDU quits on them during a track session, or it's not a deep 11 second 1/4 mile car. It was never touted as those things. It's a fun sporty back road and highway cruiser.

I know what the RS is, and what the RS isn't. It's not a Porsche. It's not a Mercedes. it's not a Hellcat. It's a quick Focus.

Sure it will be cool to see someone make this car do a complete track day with out a single problem... it will also be cool to see someone get one of these RS's into the deep 11's or 10's even. But that's not why I bought it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vorshlag owner, Terry, posted this. Lol
image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Reading their write up, I just think they expected it to be more than it is and they themselves got sucked in the hype. Most use of this car will be on the roads, not on the track, so what we have here is a highly competent road car that will deliver enjoyment in spades....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just Terry being Terry. He's known for being "opinionated". He's right about certain areas of weakness in the vehicle, but he goes out of his way to be abrasive to anybody that likes the car. It really doesn't make me feel the urge to buy his parts ever again for this or the Mustang.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think that was front to back the most honest, technical, and best write up I've read about this car. You have to respect an experienced racer who has as much technical knowledge as driving knowledge: he calls it like he sees it.

Hopefully, they'll stick with the car, and can develop some things to make it a lot better.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Interesting write up, I agree with a lot of his criticisms, although I don't think his expectations are consistent with what the car is. He needs to buy a GT350R-C!

Would have been better just to stick to the facts as the he sees them. No need to be abrasive, fan boys, internets, bla bla bla. Having spent my career in design and advertising, if he is trying to sell stuff to people, maybe tone down the grumpy old man.

Dude definitely does not have a future in journalism LOL!

I don't think the RS is being sold as a track car, it is a fun little hatchback. They are also racing it against GT3 RSs and McLarens which I find hilarious!

hype 1 |hīp| informal

noun - extravagant or intensive publicity or promotion: she relied on hype and headlines to stoke up interest in her music.
• a deception carried out for the sake of publicity.

verb [with obj.] promote or publicize (a product or idea) intensively, often exaggerating its importance or benefits: an industry quick to hype its products.

ORIGIN - 1920s (originally in the sense ‘shortchange, cheat,’ or ‘person who cheats, etc’): of unknown origin.

So, by definition, hype is exaggeration, so not living up to that should not be a surprise.

He also states the blanking plate has to do with driving the car through water. This is not the case, it is to limit the chance of condensation inside the intercooler, it is something Ford developed as a solution on the Transit van.

B.

·
Registered
398 Posts
This sounds like something I would have written lol. The RS needs a lot of work to be fully track worthy... Once again lots of butthurt going on...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey peeps. I'm the owner of the car and would like to make some comments just in case you care to read them.

Both Terry and I are very critical of vehicles. Our main focus is performance and we are perfectly comfortable speaking about our concerns with the car. Is the new Focus RS a great track car? No. Is it a pretty good track car right out of the box? You bet your ass. Is there room for improvement? Hell yeah!

Terry tells it how it is. He has no problem openly complaining about crap that pisses him off. That is just how he is. If you don't like it, that is ok. And as Gatorac mentioned, this is an honest review with somebody who hasn't spent hundreds of hours reading forum posts and articles about the car. Of course there are going to be mistakes in the critique.

A lot of our criticisms of the car are based on our extensive experience with Evo's over the past decade. In my mind, the Evo 9 is the crown jewel of track ready street cars. Did it understeer from the factory? It did (really bad). But it was fixed with aftermarket swaybars and camber plates. The same can be said for the Focus RS. It is a factory car and we are judging it on it's abilities at the track.

I know there are way more people who will put on shiny wheels and carbon fiber wrap some stuff in the engine bay, but Terry and I are here to give information to those who are more interested in taking their RS to the track. It is just frustrating to us when the forum fanboys get their panties all in a bunch while we are actually out trying to improve the car.

If you would like to give your honest opinion about the car ON THE TRACK, then please do so. I would love to see a bunch more track reviews, not just "initial impressions on the road" reviews.

As Racer_X mentioned previously, you can follow my personal build thread here: http://www.focusrs.org/forum/53-focus-rs-builds/16097-my-shop-assist-2016-focus-rs-build.html Feel free to ask questions and provide constructive criticism.

And if you want to just watch my track videos (with narration), here they are:

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Terry can't sell some parts so he whines like a girl. I have never been impressed with them anyways. The amount of bad information in everything they've released for far has amused me repeatedly though.

Defending them.. lol that makes me laugh too.

Reactions: misterchonger

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Are you kidding me Ford!! Son of a ... This has gotta get fixed
Until it fails, it's doing is job. As these guys have said, they don't believe it's transferring as much power as ford is saying

1 - 20 of 200 Posts