Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this thread can be similar to the Autocross thread for discussing up coming events, past events and sharing setups that have been used.

Already posted about what appears to becoming an annual TT at Carolina Motorsports Park here.

And there is one being hosted by North Carolina Region at NC-CAR in Garysburg 14th-16th of this month. Really late notice, but maybe...

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Just completed a Time Trial at New Jersy Motorsports Park on June 1.
I ran in T3 and finished 3 in class of 10 and 9th overall. I still had a lot of room for improvement.

TimTrial-ontrack.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Also, Time trial events (much like any motorsport event) needs workers for flag stations, timing and other roles. So, if you do not want to risk damage to your car, but want to enjoy the event (maybe even some compensation) you can sign up as a worker and have a great weekend with fellow car enthusiasts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just participated at PBIR last night with the FL Region. The group is having some trouble getting organized a bit. They aren't using the national rules/classes. it's kind of weird. i think it's because they dont anticipate high turn outs. which is no surprise since they hold them on a tuesday afternoon. They also didn't share the times yet. also strange.

I still had fun despite not having tire on my side. I finished a set of pirelli DHs and delamed my daily set of PS4S. No surprise since that track is known for eating the left front. Overall, I wasn't driving my best but managed to improve my heel-toe and not over heat and limp mode, despite running 40 min sessions with no traffic or cool down laps in between. Thanks to the triple pass radiator I have installed.

do any of the other regions open the novice group to untimed participants?

Update: the results are up on the website. It looks like they really messed up and set the transponders for an endurance race and not a time trial. So they only recorded no. of laps and total time.

As much as I am a local endorser for all Motorsport clubs in the area to make sure that clubs and events keep happening, it's hard for me to encourage anyone to participate in the FL Region Time Trial. Heck, even the SCCA doesn't believe in them and shorted them transponders for the event.

·
Registered
196 Posts

Despite the SCCA FL region flubbing timing that day, I matched a timecode with my video to get my best lap time that day. I managed to set my personal best at PBIR with a 1:35.9 I think I can easily better that with an intercooler to get a higher top speed at the end of the straight, less over driving the tires in turn 4 and 10, and some better driving of course. I was running a rear sway bar, DSC Controller, 93 tune, with Pirelli scrubs that I eventually corded that session.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the "Who's Time is it Anyway?" TT at NCCAR was a success. I had a great time. I was pace car for qualifying laps going out for the 3 groups. And due to low driver signup Group 4 became a workers lapping session... So plan was 4 25 minute sessions, but last (I didn't plan to run last one as the car was getting packed on lunch) got turned into part of the track Sprints. No official times but had friends with lap timing stopwatches saying on Saturday I was about 1:46 and Sunday 1:44. Love these Cup 2s, drove to and from the event on them and ran in 3 sessions.

I didn't run into AWD issues, coolant temp was stable in the middle of the gauge and oil temp was getting a little above 3/4 of the gauge, but didn't run the full session either ran until the tires had reached limit and would make one last lap and cool down and exit.

Friend of mine brought out his Camaro SS 1LE. That thing is insane. Someone told me the GT3 Porsches run about a 1:33-1:34 there and he was running 1:36 in a showroom stock Camaro. Worse he told me what he paid for it and it was much less than my RS.

NCR stated at the "awards" that they are working on having another TT here Nov 9-10th of this year. I'll add info about this as I get it.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Just completed the Time Trials at Summit Point Raceway on the Shenandoah Course. Very tight course. I call it an expanded AutoX course.
Videos posted for run 2 and run 3 on July 7. Link below is run 2.

·
Registered
418 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I might go down to watch but I'm not participating. Maybe next year.
I'm not going to TTN (just too busy and Auto-x last weekend, next weekend I'm off to Runoffs), but hoping to watch live timing or at least look at the results and see some RSs in it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I’d really like to get more into time trials next year. Can someone give me quick run down of how they work? I did a couple TNiA this year but would like to do more track days next year and TT seems pretty accessible with the RS being my daily too.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’d really like to get more into time trials next year. Can someone give me quick run down of how they work? I did a couple TNiA this year but would like to do more track days next year and TT seems pretty accessible with the RS being my daily too.
Official info is here: https://timetrials.scca.com/

I will say, if you track it be prepared to lose it, if the RS is your only car I would make sure you have a backup plan in case of unforeseeable problem, whether from mechanical issues or going off in a bad area. Example: guy I've been auto-x with years ago has gotten more into Track events with multiple clubs, when SCCA updated the Time Trial format he started attending those too. He has lots of track time. Still had an issue at CMP, went off drivers right just after "the kink" and sideway/backwards into the tire wall. Luckily it was mostly cosmetic minus the lights. He finished the weekend and won the class after lots of tape and zip ties to prevent losing any parts on track. But, he has always driven to and from the events in the car. After that impact the car was not really street legal due to the lighting damages/alignment. One of our friends came from Wilmington with a trailer while we were running day two so that the car could get back to his house. Racers will normally go out of their way to help each other, but having a plan is good. Last I heard he is not looking into trailers for race weekends instead of driving to and from. Also, don't forget to review track day insurance. It's optional and up to you. I still drive to and from, but so far I've not entered the competitive timing part of the events, I'm working those times at the event. Once I've got a the extra money to cover cost of insurance and the deductible (about $4,500 by my math) if needed I'll race.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
First of all, @ControlNode makes a good statement but don't let that discourage you from doing Time Trials. If you have been running in the TNIA "Advanced" group at least 4 or more times and are confident with passing at any location on the track, comfortable with "point-by's" both given and taken, you would qualify to run SCCA Time Trials. Send a request to SCCA with your track experience and request a "time Trials" license. They start just like TNIA with Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced. I hold an Intermediate license for this year 2019 (I ran with the Advanced group all year) but next year I will move to Advanced. As of today, I have always driven to the track, changed tires/wheels, etc. at the track. I don't own a tow vehicle or a trailer soI will continue driving until I save up enough to purchase tow vehicle and trailer, as I hate loans so if I can't pay cash I don't buy it.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Official info is here: https://timetrials.scca.com/

I will say, if you track it be prepared to lose it, if the RS is your only car I would make sure you have a backup plan in case of unforeseeable problem, whether from mechanical issues or going off in a bad area. Example: guy I've been auto-x with years ago has gotten more into Track events with multiple clubs, when SCCA updated the Time Trial format he started attending those too. He has lots of track time. Still had an issue at CMP, went off drivers right just after "the kink" and sideway/backwards into the tire wall. Luckily it was mostly cosmetic minus the lights. He finished the weekend and won the class after lots of tape and zip ties to prevent losing any parts on track. But, he has always driven to and from the events in the car. After that impact the car was not really street legal due to the lighting damages/alignment. One of our friends came from Wilmington with a trailer while we were running day two so that the car could get back to his house. Racers will normally go out of their way to help each other, but having a plan is good. Last I heard he is not looking into trailers for race weekends instead of driving to and from. Also, don't forget to review track day insurance. It's optional and up to you. I still drive to and from, but so far I've not entered the competitive timing part of the events, I'm working those times at the event. Once I've got a the extra money to cover cost of insurance and the deductible (about $4,500 by my math) if needed I'll race.
First of all, @ControlNode makes a good statement but don't let that discourage you from doing Time Trials. If you have been running in the TNIA "Advanced" group at least 4 or more times and are confident with passing at any location on the track, comfortable with "point-by's" both given and taken, you would qualify to run SCCA Time Trials. Send a request to SCCA with your track experience and request a "time Trials" license. They start just like TNIA with Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced. I hold an Intermediate license for this year 2019 (I ran with the Advanced group all year) but next year I will move to Advanced. As of today, I have always driven to the track, changed tires/wheels, etc. at the track. I don't own a tow vehicle or a trailer soI will continue driving until I save up enough to purchase tow vehicle and trailer, as I hate loans so if I can't pay cash I don't buy it.
Are you from WV? I’m in southern part of the stare between Huntington and Charleston actually. Just wondering from your videos.

My situation is that I’m 4hrs basically any track that does TNiA and with it being in the middle of the week I can’t swing it with missing work, too. So I’m trying to find something I can do on the weekends/make long weekends out of.
I’m open to suggestions of course if anyone knows any other ways! I don’t plan on ever being competitive but mainly just to enjoy my RS more. I’ve not extensively looked into trailers yet (I have a truck too) but that’s a consideration I’ve thought about, but I’d rather just keep driving the RS to track right now and save some money on that. But I have the truck if anything should happen. Also aware of insurance costs too, but I haven’t looked into that either just yet.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Are you from WV? I’m in southern part of the stare between Huntington and Charleston actually. Just wondering from your videos.

My situation is that I’m 4hrs basically any track that does TNiA and with it being in the middle of the week I can’t swing it with missing work, too. So I’m trying to find something I can do on the weekends/make long weekends out of.
I’m open to suggestions of course if anyone knows any other ways! I don’t plan on ever being competitive but mainly just to enjoy my RS more. I’ve not extensively looked into trailers yet (I have a truck too) but that’s a consideration I’ve thought about, but I’d rather just keep driving the RS to track right now and save some money on that. But I have the truck if anything should happen. Also aware of insurance costs too, but I haven’t looked into that either just yet.
Summit Point has many Track days and Time Trials on weekends. Check their web site and alls the WDCR SCCA web site for a number of weekend events.
No, I do not live in WV I live in DE and I make the 3.5 hour trip to Summit Point for weekend events. I only go if they have both a Saturday and Sunday event because of the long travel distance. I usually book a hotel for Friday and Saturday night and make a nice racing weekend, You can do track days both days if you want. I won't be going this month. I will be next year before I get to Summit Point again. I will be at New Jersey Motorsports Park on Oct 26 for Time Trials.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok, I had a blast. Fairly sure when the Supra gets an official class in sport it will not be S3, he had a 12 second combined lead on me for the weekend. I dropped 2 seconds off my June time (1:44.189) on Saturday and dropped another 2 seconds on Sunday (1:40.071). Nothing in the car has changed since the worker sessions in June, same tires even, I did have track insurance this time. One off in first Track Sprint a turn after finish, my last time got messed up in the computer (it didn't trip for my finish, and I think I was faster, not worried about it as I had a good time. And lap Time Attack session on Sunday on the green flag lap I spun on track in turn 1. I'll get videos up some time this week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts