Ford Focus RS Forum banner

The SCCA Time Trail thread

6K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  GmpaJimj 
#1 ·
I guess this thread can be similar to the Autocross thread for discussing up coming events, past events and sharing setups that have been used.

Already posted about what appears to becoming an annual TT at Carolina Motorsports Park here.

And there is one being hosted by North Carolina Region at NC-CAR in Garysburg 14th-16th of this month. Really late notice, but maybe...

#3 · (Edited)
Also, Time trial events (much like any motorsport event) needs workers for flag stations, timing and other roles. So, if you do not want to risk damage to your car, but want to enjoy the event (maybe even some compensation) you can sign up as a worker and have a great weekend with fellow car enthusiasts.

#4 · (Edited)
Just participated at PBIR last night with the FL Region. The group is having some trouble getting organized a bit. They aren't using the national rules/classes. it's kind of weird. i think it's because they dont anticipate high turn outs. which is no surprise since they hold them on a tuesday afternoon. They also didn't share the times yet. also strange.

I still had fun despite not having tire on my side. I finished a set of pirelli DHs and delamed my daily set of PS4S. No surprise since that track is known for eating the left front. Overall, I wasn't driving my best but managed to improve my heel-toe and not over heat and limp mode, despite running 40 min sessions with no traffic or cool down laps in between. Thanks to the triple pass radiator I have installed.

do any of the other regions open the novice group to untimed participants?

Update: the results are up on the website. It looks like they really messed up and set the transponders for an endurance race and not a time trial. So they only recorded no. of laps and total time.

As much as I am a local endorser for all Motorsport clubs in the area to make sure that clubs and events keep happening, it's hard for me to encourage anyone to participate in the FL Region Time Trial. Heck, even the SCCA doesn't believe in them and shorted them transponders for the event.

#5 ·

Despite the SCCA FL region flubbing timing that day, I matched a timecode with my video to get my best lap time that day. I managed to set my personal best at PBIR with a 1:35.9 I think I can easily better that with an intercooler to get a higher top speed at the end of the straight, less over driving the tires in turn 4 and 10, and some better driving of course. I was running a rear sway bar, DSC Controller, 93 tune, with Pirelli scrubs that I eventually corded that session.

#6 ·
So the "Who's Time is it Anyway?" TT at NCCAR was a success. I had a great time. I was pace car for qualifying laps going out for the 3 groups. And due to low driver signup Group 4 became a workers lapping session... So plan was 4 25 minute sessions, but last (I didn't plan to run last one as the car was getting packed on lunch) got turned into part of the track Sprints. No official times but had friends with lap timing stopwatches saying on Saturday I was about 1:46 and Sunday 1:44. Love these Cup 2s, drove to and from the event on them and ran in 3 sessions.

I didn't run into AWD issues, coolant temp was stable in the middle of the gauge and oil temp was getting a little above 3/4 of the gauge, but didn't run the full session either ran until the tires had reached limit and would make one last lap and cool down and exit.

Friend of mine brought out his Camaro SS 1LE. That thing is insane. Someone told me the GT3 Porsches run about a 1:33-1:34 there and he was running 1:36 in a showroom stock Camaro. Worse he told me what he paid for it and it was much less than my RS.

NCR stated at the "awards" that they are working on having another TT here Nov 9-10th of this year. I'll add info about this as I get it.

Reactions: bbq_pork
#8 ·
Just completed the Time Trials at Summit Point Raceway on the Shenandoah Course. Very tight course. I call it an expanded AutoX course.
Videos posted for run 2 and run 3 on July 7. Link below is run 2.

#9 ·
Anyone going to TTN?

#11 ·
I might go down to watch but I'm not participating. Maybe next year.

#14 ·
I’d really like to get more into time trials next year. Can someone give me quick run down of how they work? I did a couple TNiA this year but would like to do more track days next year and TT seems pretty accessible with the RS being my daily too.

#15 ·
Official info is here: https://timetrials.scca.com/

I will say, if you track it be prepared to lose it, if the RS is your only car I would make sure you have a backup plan in case of unforeseeable problem, whether from mechanical issues or going off in a bad area. Example: guy I've been auto-x with years ago has gotten more into Track events with multiple clubs, when SCCA updated the Time Trial format he started attending those too. He has lots of track time. Still had an issue at CMP, went off drivers right just after "the kink" and sideway/backwards into the tire wall. Luckily it was mostly cosmetic minus the lights. He finished the weekend and won the class after lots of tape and zip ties to prevent losing any parts on track. But, he has always driven to and from the events in the car. After that impact the car was not really street legal due to the lighting damages/alignment. One of our friends came from Wilmington with a trailer while we were running day two so that the car could get back to his house. Racers will normally go out of their way to help each other, but having a plan is good. Last I heard he is not looking into trailers for race weekends instead of driving to and from. Also, don't forget to review track day insurance. It's optional and up to you. I still drive to and from, but so far I've not entered the competitive timing part of the events, I'm working those times at the event. Once I've got a the extra money to cover cost of insurance and the deductible (about $4,500 by my math) if needed I'll race.

#19 ·
I'm signed up for TT at NCCAR Nov 9-10th... right now in S3 I see a Type R, a Supra and myself in the RS.

#20 · (Edited)
Ok, I had a blast. Fairly sure when the Supra gets an official class in sport it will not be S3, he had a 12 second combined lead on me for the weekend. I dropped 2 seconds off my June time (1:44.189) on Saturday and dropped another 2 seconds on Sunday (1:40.071). Nothing in the car has changed since the worker sessions in June, same tires even, I did have track insurance this time. One off in first Track Sprint a turn after finish, my last time got messed up in the computer (it didn't trip for my finish, and I think I was faster, not worried about it as I had a good time. And lap Time Attack session on Sunday on the green flag lap I spun on track in turn 1. I'll get videos up some time this week.

Reactions: Focused
#24 ·
Anyone plan to attend the Memorial Monster National Time Trail at CMP in Kershaw, SC at the end of May? Not seen anything about being cancelled yet, I''m still planning on being there that weekend as long as the event stays on schedule (will actually be my first event of the year)

#25 ·
@CaymanS Re-71 are not good track tires. They are great for AutoX, but when hot they start to slide. There are better choices. such as Michelin RS4S,Federal RS/RR, Atenza 615K, and others.

#26 ·
They can be good for time trails if you go in knowing you will not be running the full 15-20 minute sessions and with the goal of laying down a fast time and getting off the track, minimum 3 laps. Even then they may be a set every one or two Time Trail events, depending on track length, surface and temps.

Reactions: CaymanS and Alpho
#30 ·
In Time Trails the session time is just you max time allowed on track. You are free to exit after only 3 or 4 laps.But, this works best when your not needing seat time. If you need seat time on that track to learn it the RE-71Rs are not the best option.

#31 ·
What happened to all the Time Trial people. I have done 3 so far this year. Just ordered new tires as next event is in 3 weeks.
Federal 595RS-Pro 265x35x18 Looking forward to some better times with these new sticky tires.

#32 · (Edited)
I worked at the TTN at CMP in T&S. Was going to work the TTN in CT, but the whole being from NC at that time was not conducive to be being welcome on site. I'll be working the NCR TT in Aug in Garysburg, NC. This year is break from lots of tires being bought and put that money into PM work on the car, but I'm still working events.

#34 ·
I finished the year with 2 Firsts, 3 seconds, and 1 third.
It was good enough to win the SCCA South Jersey Region Championships in T3.

Reactions: nicklulu
#35 ·
I've only officially entered one TT event and that was in Nov 2019 at NCCAR, best time clockwise was 1:40.071. But organizer not knowing where to put the new Supra GR put in it S3 with me. So I got 2nd to it. But that was a win to me since the Supra once official classing was released is in S2. In June of that I was working the event and got to run in the worker lapping session, no official times but camera shows about a 1:44 then. Video below is from that June session, also you can see the course. Last year I took a break from racing my cars to focus on other things, but I still worked all the races and crewed for friends. I may be continuing the break this year too, or at least until the remodel in the house is done.

Reactions: big jim
#44 ·
I've only officially entered one TT event and that was in Nov 2019 at NCCAR, best time clockwise was 1:40.071.
i drove that track in 2019. nice little technical course. perfect for the RS. i had my brakes upgraded with rotors, SS lines, pads, brake fluid just before i went there. i almost didn't brake in time on that long straight. the service tech didn't tighten one of the front calipers valves all the way (just half a turn).

#37 ·
The
They were at both Thunderbolt and Lightning. I didn't get to run the National Tour event due previous commitments.
They had also had 3 or 4 Time Trial Sprints at Bader Field in Atlantic City.

#40 ·

Nationals or bust.

'21 Time Trials National Tour Announced
2021 Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour Powered by Hagerty:

March 13-14: VIRginia International Raceway, Alton, VA
April 10-11: Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, CA
May 22-23: Eagles Canyon Raceway, Decatur, TX
June 10-13: Tire Rack Time Trials Nationals, NCM Motorsports Park, Bowling Green, KY
July 3-4: Palmer Motorsports Park, Palmer, MA
July 17-18: GingerMan Raceway, South Haven, MI
July 24-25: Ridge Motorsports Park, Shelton, WA
November 6-7: Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA (tentative)

#41 ·

Nationals or bust.

'21 Time Trials National Tour Announced
2021 Tire Rack SCCA Time Trials National Tour Powered by Hagerty:

March 13-14: VIRginia International Raceway, Alton, VA
April 10-11: Buttonwillow Raceway Park, Buttonwillow, CA
May 22-23: Eagles Canyon Raceway, Decatur, TX
June 10-13: Tire Rack Time Trials Nationals, NCM Motorsports Park, Bowling Green, KY
July 3-4: Palmer Motorsports Park, Palmer, MA
July 17-18: GingerMan Raceway, South Haven, MI
July 24-25: Ridge Motorsports Park, Shelton, WA
November 6-7: Michelin Raceway Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA (tentative)
None of these track are even close to where I live except VIR and I won't be available that weekend.

#43 ·
I'll likely be working ViR race, hoping for Atlanta as well. Maybe work NCM too if my friend is going that way and we the drive to and from again.

#48 ·
Ford never did any warranty work on my car. They refused because i was "tuned" . I accept that but they wouldn't even fix a defect seat, non functioning TPMS, or backup camera. I had to fix those items myself. I really enjoy the performance, handling, modifications via FORscan, etc. I will never own another Ford due to these reasons. This is the first Ford I have ever owned in 50 years of driving.

#49 ·
Disclaimer: I’m not a Ford employee (but am heavily invested)
After reading boatloads of comments, I’m convinced it’s the dealerships, not wanting to go the xtra mile, not Ford itself.
The day I took ownership, the detailer found overspray. My dealer raised holy ned up the chain of command. THEY, got results.
They know the car isn’t completely stock and don’t care. The service mgr. told me as long as the work is solid, no biggie.
This dealership has been family owned since 1925. They only started advertising when the original owner died. He sold cars by word of mouth. Small town handshake is your bond stuff.
Find a small dealer. chances are they’ll be better, because they have to be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.