Ford Focus RS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rs, like the st and the mustang are speed density based. I'm not an expert by any means but i'll share what I know. The pre turbo map sensor measure intake temp and pressure/volumn. Then the post-turbo /pre- intercooler map senses charge temp and I believe compressor efficiency. Then the charge is cooled and one more map sensor on the manifold senses temp and pressure again. Its pretty complicated but it makes it easy for tuners to really get the most out of the hardware... it really is a great system as it will adapt to any aftermarket parts you throw on the car... the boost targets in the ecu will target a certain psi for wastegate duty cycle and this will limit to the factory setting. Adding parts may increase the under the curve power and torque but You must get a tune to remove these torque targets to see any peak torque gains. Imo looking at the power graph from ford, tq gains from a tune should be quite large

Reactions: Ca kleStack

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is possible that they used an encryption, they did in the previous Rs but that had a volvo engine. This is the same ecu from the mustang and there's no problem tuning that platform. Hopefully cobb pulls through and get us rolling

Reactions: Smokin' Joe

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
Pulls...rolling...dyno...

my sense of humour is messed, haha.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
It is possible that they used an encryption, they did in the previous Rs but that had a volvo engine. This is the same ecu from the mustang and there's no problem tuning that platform. Hopefully cobb pulls through and get us rolling
LOL, I used to work with Encryption and other security products. I have forgot more than most people know about security, was CISSP ;)

YMMV,

MidCow3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,200 Posts

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The rs, like the st and the mustang are speed density based. I'm not an expert by any means but i'll share what I know. The pre turbo map sensor measure intake temp and pressure/volumn. Then the post-turbo /pre- intercooler map senses charge temp and I believe compressor efficiency. Then the charge is cooled and one more map sensor on the manifold senses temp and pressure again. Its pretty complicated but it makes it easy for tuners to really get the most out of the hardware... it really is a great system as it will adapt to any aftermarket parts you throw on the car... the boost targets in the ecu will target a certain psi for wastegate duty cycle and this will limit to the factory setting. Adding parts may increase the under the curve power and torque but You must get a tune to remove these torque targets to see any peak torque gains. Imo looking at the power graph from ford, tq gains from a tune should be quite large
I could be wrong or outdated but I haven't seen a system with 3 MAP sensors. I would expect a MAT (manifold air temp) close to where the air enters the turbo, possibly a pre-FMIC charge air temp sensor (should have no need for a MAP here as pre-IC density doesn't mean much) then a post-FMIC MAP sensor on the intake manifold, with the possible addition of a MAT here, too, for fine tuning. MAP sensors have nothing to do with temperature, only pressure.

Jim

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
MAP sensors have nothing to do with temperature, only pressure.
"The mass of air entering the engine is directly proportional to the air density, which is proportional to the absolute pressure, and inversely proportional to the absolute temperature." If you know the pressure and the volume, you know the temperature.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
It uses TMAP sensors. Temperature and Manifold Absolute Pressure sensors. One TMAP sensor is pre-throttle body and is used when under boost. One sensor is post TB and is used when in Vacuum and low pressure scenarios. This setup provides better sensor resolution.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I could be wrong or outdated but I haven't seen a system with 3 MAP sensors. I would expect a MAT (manifold air temp) close to where the air enters the turbo, possibly a pre-FMIC charge air temp sensor (should have no need for a MAP here as pre-IC density doesn't mean much) then a post-FMIC MAP sensor on the intake manifold, with the possible addition of a MAT here, too, for fine tuning. MAP sensors have nothing to do with temperature, only pressure.

Jim
I was shootin' from the hip with the o.p. I did my research now and what we'll have is a pre turbo map, a pre-cooler map and a tmap in the mani

Reactions: RocketRS

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
The progress they make in the name of MPG :) (and probably total power/responsiveness, too). Good stuff. Looks like I need a refresher course.

I said "could be wrong or outdated" but I didn't count on both!

Jim

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
"The mass of air entering the engine is directly proportional to the air density, which is proportional to the absolute pressure, and inversely proportional to the absolute temperature." If you know the pressure and the volume, you know the temperature.
Looks like they have a dual sensor now - maybe having the 2 sensors requires less ECU brainpower for lower cost? It would be interesting to find a focused course on current EFI technologies.

Jim

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Looks like they have a dual sensor now - maybe having the 2 sensors requires less ECU brainpower for lower cost? It would be interesting to find a focused course on current EFI technologies.

Jim
I've been interested in that very question Jim. It appears that TMAP sensors use a "Wheatstone Bridge" (4 resistors in series with three being references) for pressure, and a Thermistor for temps. Some apparently use Piezoresistive elements in combination with the Wheatstone Bridge. These are not complex devices, and are relatively cheap considering how accurate and durable they are.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Doesn't matter if it's encrypted or if anyone has their hands on one yet. It's only a matter of time until tunes start coming out. Encryption is pretty easy to break, guys. Just takes time.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I disagree with that. You may know the volume of the container (cylinder in this case) you are filling and the pressure, but without temp you don't know the density or mass of air actually getting into the cylinder at a given pressure.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you know the pressure and the volume, you know the temperature.
Two scuba tanks. Both are at room temperature. One is at 3000 PSI and the other is at 1000 PSI. According to what you just said it is impossible for them to have identical volumes. The scuba tanks and their pressure gauges in my garage disagree.

You have to also know the density (and therefor the amount of mass of air). A MAP sensor is only giving you pressure.

PV=nRT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

1 - 20 of 38 Posts