Ford Focus RS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 374 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I will not be adding a snake oil catch can. my engine will gladly eat anything that passes the factory separator
I've never used one before, but I understand the concept. Could you elaborate on why you believe they are a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I won't be, never have. Honestly if I keep the RS for a bit (over 3 years) it will have Meth, and who knows what else lol. The thing is Catch cans are not 100% effective, aux fuel really is. If you have a catch can you still want to think about aux fuel or atleast performing an induction service every 5-10K.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I feel a bit out of touch with all of this. Can someone explain the details of an induction service? I'd prefer to keep my RS running at peak performance.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
rather than ask me why I don't, let the ones that do use them show evidence that the rs needs more than the factory separator. its snake oil, guaranteed to make your car last 1million miles. yeah ecoboost engines can build up carbon. all direct injection motors due. they'll tell you I cuts down on valve carbon. but they don't have any lab tests to prove it. the only way to fix the root cause and need for a pcv system is to vent it thru a road tube that basically just dumps on the ground, but that's not legal or environmentally friendly. its an emission system to recycle nox vapors. trust ford, use the proper oil and relax. oh and if your car sits outside they can freeze, wanna know how far a dip stick can fly???

I could see the need for one maybe on a stroked engine that burns more oil than it does gas when running 35 psi. the need for one would be apparent in that case though.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Of course. I think They should come standard on any forced induction production vehicle.
So if they should come standard, then why don't they? If they were absolutely needed don't you think Ford and other car vendors would have them as OEM equipment ?

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Registered
591 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
So if they should come standard, then why don't they? If they were absolutely needed don't you think Ford and other car vendors would have them as OEM equipment ?

YMMV,

MidCow3
Beaches the every day public is to stupid to drain them on the regular. Direct injection requires a OCC coming from a disi platform (mazdaspeed) they are a huge help. If you get it on there from day one carbon build up on the valves should not be an issue. The OCC will catch all of that carbon before it ever hits your motor. I will be adding one to my car.

·
Registered
79 Posts

YMMV,

MidCow3
I don't think the effects are substantial enough during the warranty period to warrant them doing it. Granted most will never have problems( particularly if kept stock) but those that decide to turn up the boost will probably find these beneficial.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
I don't think the effects are substantial enough during the warranty period to warrant them doing it. Granted most will never have problems( particularly if kept stock) but those that decide to turn up the boost will probably find these beneficial.
I haven't had any problems with ST in 45K miles which is why I asked. Apparently the VW Golf R has substantial carbon build-up problems because of DI.

YMMV,

MidCow3

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
There are ways of dealing with freezing. Heated garage when cold out is simplest. Drain after running a while regularly so the frozen part does not block airflow. Or engineer a OCC that has a water coil on the can that you route engine coolant around. I know on my Honda they have a metal section on the PVC line that half is PVC the other half is just coolant to heat/cool that line, so in theory adding a coolant route coiled around OCC could regulate the temp in it too.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I haven't had any problems with ST in 45K miles which is why I asked. Apparently the VW Golf R has substantial carbon build-up problems because of DI.

YMMV,

MidCow3
I'm hoping because the engine architecture is very similar there won't be problems. 100 bucks for a baffled setup to eliminate any concerns I may have. I don't intend to keep boost at stock levels for very long.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I cant help but think that the back pressure created by even a brand new can let alone an old dirty one would offset any possible gain

·
Registered
84 Posts
rather than ask me why I don't, let the ones that do use them show evidence that the rs needs more than the factory separator. ....
+1, until someone can actually prove the OEM separator isn't acceptable, then we can go down this path. The factory separators have gotten really good in the past few generations of engines, generally speaking.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Has anyone looked into if the 2.3L mustang guys are 'needing' catch cans?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Oil catch cans are essential to have in any Subaru doing track or competition work...I have one fitted in my Spec C tarmac rally car. Subaru engines are notorious for chucking oil around. But for normal street use a catch can isn't required.
I'm not sure about the 2.3 Ecoboost, but there have been reports of these engines getting excessive carbon buildup...whether this will apply to the RS 2.3 is unknown I guess, but I would expect that the engineering team would have considered it.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Oil catch cans are essential to have in any Subaru doing track or competition work...I have one fitted in my Spec C tarmac rally car. Subaru engines are notorious for chucking oil around. But for normal street use a catch can isn't required.
I'm not sure about the 2.3 Ecoboost, but there have been reports of these engines getting excessive carbon buildup...whether this will apply to the RS 2.3 is unknown I guess, but I would expect that the engineering team would have considered it.
don't you think the carbon build up is because of no fuel to clean the valves rather than blowby gasses. I haven't heard of a case of a 2.0 ecoboost having the head replaced because of carbon build up. the carbon build up in the ecoboost seems to be linked to normal to low normal driving rather than high heat high rpm driving

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
image.jpg

I'm going with radium engineering AOS. Expensive but worth it. This one on my STi is water heated so it lets oil drain back into the block for maintanence free operation.

41 - 60 of 374 Posts