Ford Focus RS Forum banner
441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
@nicklulu I'll be contacting Radium on monday for some of those washers! My crankcase can has had no leaks, but I've been battling leaks on the PCV can. I thought it was from the hose end that attaches to the banjo, but after looking at it today I'm thinking it's leaking from the actual banjo. From what I remember, my washers were copper or something.
Yeah, If this didn't come with the nylon washers I would be doing the same thing on Monday.

It saved me a phone call.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Just an FYI for those that are considering the Radium setup....

I installed my Radium catch can earlier this summer & even though I had purchased the drain kit, at the time I chose to not install it. Well that was a mistake, it's a bit of a PITA to do it after the fact. So if you're considering it, just do it all at once. It will be far easier.

FYI, I installed a Radium catch can on the PCV side along with the Radium breather plate all at the same time. I just checked the can & with about 3700 miles on it, it was roughly half full (when looking at the bottom part of the can unscrewed from the top portion). This seems like it will be a good investment if it's catching that much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed a Radium PCV can this week and the AC hose is rubbing against the can, feels like another 5mm would be needed for a gap. Anyone else come up against this? Has it caused any issues, or how did you solve it?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
If it bothers you, put some of that split conduit stuff on it?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
This shi7...its available in a variety of sizes....

·
Registered
105 Posts
I hadn't checked my pcv can since I installed it over a year ago, and it was almost up to where the threads start on the lower half of the can. Glad I finally emptied it otherwise it would have been a huge mess since I don't have the drain kit (it's on order now).
I was surprised how 'clean' the oil was, is this normal? On other cars I've had, the oil has looked a little sludgy and sometimes mixed with a little bit of fuel or whatever else.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I’m looking at catch cans. What’s the difference between crankcase and pvc?

I would say of you want to go deep to the difference you are in the right thread.

You joined 19 mins ago (Welcome) and posted this question a minute after joining.

But to sum it up, the location and the amount of blow by you get.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

I would also suggest to go to this thread:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would also suggest to go to this thread:

Thank you. But also what is recommended?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Reactions: Skidro87

·
Registered
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
i have had a Radium can for a couple years and never installed the Drain kit, been thinking of installing it.

where would be a good place to have the drain exit ? ( i have a ADF Skid plate ) last time i tried to install it months ago it kept wanting to ride up and into the cooling fan

·
Registered
2017 Black RS
348 Posts
I also have the drain, but people here talked me out of it. After sucking from the top, I no longer have intentions of adding the Radium drain.

I picked up the syringe from CVS, the brass tubes from Hobby Lobby, and had some vacuum hose (~7mm?) laying around to join those two parts. It's so easy that I check it more often.

I also check it more often because the dipstick handle for my crankcase can fell out and I had to get a new one from Radium. So I make sure all the connections (including the dipstick) are tight frequently now. It was weird, the dipstick was still in the can, but the handle unthreaded from it and was missing.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
i didnt think of the Syringe and missed that post, will try that instead from now on, im sure its easier then removing the can every month / 2 months, and will save on O-Rings ( have already replaced them once )

Thank you

I also have the drain, but people here talked me out of it. After sucking from the top, I no longer have intentions of adding the Radium drain.

I picked up the syringe from CVS, the brass tubes from Hobby Lobby, and had some vacuum hose (~7mm?) laying around to join those two parts. It's so easy that I check it more often.

I also check it more often because the dipstick handle for my crankcase can fell out and I had to get a new one from Radium. So I make sure all the connections (including the dipstick) are tight frequently now. It was weird, the dipstick was still in the can, but the handle unthreaded from it and was missing.

·
Registered
2017 SG RS1
1,348 Posts

Same thing happened to me! Only difference is luckily the threaded head part broke off after I took it out of the crankcase can. Radium sent me a new one, but since that can never has anything in it anyways, I just screwed the top of the dipstick back in to seal it, and it's been good ever since.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
i have had a Radium can for a couple years and never installed the Drain kit, been thinking of installing it.

where would be a good place to have the drain exit ? ( i have a ADF Skid plate ) last time i tried to install it months ago it kept wanting to ride up and into the cooling fan
If you decide to use it, beware the location of the on/off. Mine is as close to the bottom of the can as I could get it. It’s all I can do to squeeze my, rather scrawny, hand to operate it.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Thank you to all that mentioned the Syringe method, i wouldn't have thought of that

used the following

Brass Tubes - 5/32" | Hobby Lobby | 101196

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased a 2018 RR RS with 4303 miles. I want a catch can, not taking a chance with any BB.

Has anyone with a catch can actually taken a look at their valves after XXXX miles and documented that? The beginning of this thread wasn't really updated with results from cans or suggestions for cans, but I'm curious what the results are.

It seems Radium is the one to pick? Has 2 cans, has good reviews online. I've seen a few others, but they're only singular can. Are there any other suggestions? Again, I only ask because this thread is 23 pages long, with no easy way to get answers to what I'm asking...

441 - 460 of 481 Posts