Ford Focus RS Forum banner

421 - 440 of 441 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
@nicklulu , the crankcase side is fairly straightforward. Just make sure you deal with the 2 metal tubes running below the bracket. After assembled, I had a very annoying rattle coming from it... then I noticed when I tightened down the bracket, it had pressed down on 2 metal tubes. After unmounting the bracket, one of the tubes can be moved a bit (loosen its mount bolt on the fuel pump, push down on tube and tighten), the other one I had to bend the tube down a bit.

Also, that middle bolt is a pain. I found just keeping the nut pressed with my finger worked better than their suggested wrench + electrical tape. I did still have to run to the hardware store and pick up a bunch of spare nuts, after the first one fell and got lost in the void.

Thanks for the tip, would you happen to have a picture as a guide?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Thanks for the tip, would you happen to have a picture as a guide?
Do you have the official Radium PDF installation instructions? They're pretty straightforward, and that's all I really used for my install. I can send it to you if you don't have it. Has instructions for both cans.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Do you have the official Radium PDF installation instructions? They're pretty straightforward, and that's all I really used for my install. I can send it to you if you don't have it. Has instructions for both cans.
I don't have it. if you can send it please, much appreciated.

I was also reading @Hank catch can install with the Mountune breather plate, I was not able to find to torque specs for the plate. I did see the torque specs for the intake and the passenger side bolts motor mount (@Hank installed the UPR catch can that mounts there).

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black RS
19 Posts
I didn't take any during assembly, as it's very hot in Phoenix right now and I was trying to hurry. But hopefully this one I just took is helpful.

The rubber hose you see coming out under the left side connects to a hard tube (you can see it through the bracket cutout. The instructions will tell you to rotate the spring clamp there, as the 2 tabs need to be rotated to the side (mine were straight up). But that clamp and the tube were hitting the underside of the catchcan bracket. The hard tube has a mounting bracket attached to it (welded/clamped) and is bolted to the fuel pump a little further to the right, and a better image below. In this image you'll also see the hard plastic tube curving around to the right and it was contacting the hose end on the catch can. You can also see the horizontal allen bolt... just above the green banjo bolt. That was the most difficult one, just because there's not a lot of room on the nut side.

Just loosen the nut, push down on the tube attached to that bracket, and tighten it back up. It won't allow for much movement, but it was enough for mine.

Sorry, it's kind of hard to see... but the plastic tube goes to a right-angle connector that attaches to a metal tube. I had to disconnect that and I slid a close ended wrench over and down. You can see in the image where it attaches to the yellow plastic mount on the firewall in the background. I just kept bending it a little down along that path with the wrench until the hard plastic tube was no longer contacting the catchcan hose end (right at the bottom of this image).

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't have it. if you can send it please, much appreciated.

I was also reading @Hank catch can install with the Mountune breather plate, I was not able to find to torque specs for the plate. I did see the torque specs for the intake and the passenger side bolts motor mount (@Hank installed the UPR catch can that mounts there).
Here's a link to the instructions PDF in my Google Drive: Focus RS Radium Catch Can Installation Instructions. They are pretty good, and even include pictures with each step.

In regards to the breather plate torque specs, I believe it can be found in the All-In-One Torque Specs thread here. Ford refers to it as the "crankcase vent oil separator," and it looks like the torque spec is 89 in-lbs for the 8 bolts:

Photo credit (stolen from) @GoodbyeGolfR

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Much appreciated. 👍

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
You guys recommend liquid teflon tape for the install?

·
Registered
651 Posts
You guys recommend liquid teflon tape for the install?
FWIW, I didn't use any extra sealants when installing the breather plate or radium set up.

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black RS
19 Posts
The hose ends don't need it... it doesn't seal on the threads. I only used blue Locktite on the screws/bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
FWIW, I didn't use any extra sealants when installing the breather plate or radium set up.

Nylon washers for the PCV catch can though right? @rsyes threw in a pair of nylon washers for the top banjo.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Depends on what washers I get with the crankcase catch can.

If it's not nylon, I will reach out to Radium.

(y)

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
You have a lot to digest here, but I’m going to mention something that happened to me.
After installing the crankcase can, when I started the car, I got a very noticeable air pulsing sound. It was fairly loud, and to quote A. Einstein, “It freaked me the fuok out!!” It eventually went away, after a short drive. Just sayn’...

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If you're installing a Radium plate, their instructions say 106 lb in. It might be a little more than OEM because aluminum vs plastic.
http://data.radiumauto.com/PublicDocs/19-0158D.PDF
I know we're not talking about much torque here, but I wouldn't increase fastener torque over stock for this application because the threads in the block aren't changing. That's the limiting factor here (not the breather plate material).

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I know we're not talking about much torque here, but I wouldn't increase fastener torque over stock for this application because the threads in the block aren't changing. That's the limiting factor here (not the breather plate material).
@Hank, so keep the OE torque specs for the breather plate?

It was not noted on your build site.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
@Hank, so keep the OE torque specs for the breather plate?
It was not noted on your build site.
To be honest I was lazy on the oil catch can how-to for researching the torque specs on the breather plate. For something that small I use hand tight. It's really a thing you "feel" because the criticality of that part and the risk of those fasteners losing preload are both low.

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
I just got the Crankcase catch can delivered an hour ago:

I verified, it now comes with nylon washers for the top banjo.

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black RS
19 Posts
@nicklulu I'll be contacting Radium on monday for some of those washers! My crankcase can has had no leaks, but I've been battling leaks on the PCV can. I thought it was from the hose end that attaches to the banjo, but after looking at it today I'm thinking it's leaking from the actual banjo. From what I remember, my washers were copper or something.

421 - 440 of 441 Posts