Ford Focus RS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 441 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Where are you all, in the U.S., buying your radium catch cans.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
651 Posts
Where are you all, in the U.S., buying your radium catch cans.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
I picked mine up from Mountune a couple years ago (along with their breather plate).

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Same. I got the breather plate at around 15k I think and then the catch can closer to 25k?

Reactions: jamesc

·
Registered
860 Posts
I purchased a full system from Radium :

1. Baffle Plate
2. Dual Catch-Can system
3. Petcock drain tubes

At the time of purchase, I did not see the potential leak problems associated with this.
Now I am questioning my decision and if I install this.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

1. Baffle Plate
2. Dual Catch-Can system
3. Petcock drain tubes

At the time of purchase, I did not see the potential leak problems associated with this.
What about the catch can design are your worried about? As long as all joints are appropriately sealed, I don't see any cause for concern...although we all know your luck with oil leaks...lol!

·
Registered
860 Posts
What about the catch can design are your worried about? As long as all joints are appropriately sealed, I don't see any cause for concern...although we all know your luck with oil leaks...lol!
If it leaks, I will haunt you! :D

·
Registered
651 Posts

1. Baffle Plate
2. Dual Catch-Can system
3. Petcock drain tubes

For what it's worth, while I don't have the Radium baffle plate, I've been running my Radium dual catch can system and Mountune breather plate for about 18K miles and about 2.5 years with no issues. I don't have the petcock drain tubes either. I have a homemade solution I cobbled together with a small syringe, some rubber tubing and metal piping:

Initially, I did have an issue with the washer provided for the top banjo. It was leaking even though it was torqued to spec:

HOWEVER, Radium was very responsive, and they ended up sending me the (then) new design for their nylon washers that I assume they are using now. Hasn't leaked since.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
If it leaks, I will haunt you! :D
Here’s my two cents worth (my head is haunted anyway)
I have the same system. Not many miles on it, but no problem.
I will say, the crankcase can was a waste for me. Apparently it will work in higher rpm situations. My drives are spirited, but don’t approach course or track revs. I’ve never seen a drop of oil from it.
The PVC can catches a good amount, even with the baffle. Don’t think you can toss a baffle on and be protected!!

·
Registered
860 Posts
I will say, the crankcase can was a waste for me. Apparently it will work in higher rpm situations. My drives are spirited, but don’t approach course or track revs. I’ve never seen a drop of oil from it.
The PVC can catches a good amount, even with the baffle. Don’t think you can toss a baffle on and be protected!!
You seem like a nice guy.
I haunt you last!
My trips on the autobahn have me running 5-6k rpm in 6th gear.
When my oil levels drop, I pull to the side and refill.
Then continue my voyage!

It s very symbiotic relationship ;).
Ford knew what they were doing when they gave us this leaky car!

Reactions: GmpaJimj

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the same experience as you. Even after all this time and miles, I have yet to see a drop in my crankcase can. I check my cans every 1200 miles or so. Even with the Mountune baffle plate, there's about a half inch of oil on the little green dipstick, and I'm usually pulling out around 20cc of oil.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's possible that most of what was in your catch was water/condensation caused by a cold engine that never gets hot enough. All that stuff typically gets burned/boiled off when the car gets up to temp or driven for extended periods of time. The good news is, it looks like your catch can is doing it's job and collecting it instead of going back into your oil pan.
Well not really. water and oil dont mix well at all so if it's water increasing the volume then you will either see it as separated out with defined water and oil margin line or more likely the brown "mayonnaise". Fuel dilution is another story. Oil volume due to fuel dilution which is an issue in city cars is harder to define and is usually identified in the field by the odour of the oil or by a sudden drop in oil level after engine had done a few miles at elevated speed. So the engine that looks like it uses no oil day to day but drops significantly after a 4 hour run at high speeds on a freeway when the oil temp is raised over a long duration and the fuel is evaporated off. This is basically disguised normal oil consumption.
You really need to quantify the amount you pull out of a breather can before you can decide if it's usual or not. A puddle of oil in the bottom of an undefined sized plastic bucket doesn't mean much

Ciao

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
For what it's worth, while I don't have the Radium baffle plate, I've been running my Radium dual catch can system and Mountune breather plate for about 18K miles and about 2.5 years with no issues. I don't have the petcock drain tubes either. I have a homemade solution I cobbled together with a small syringe, some rubber tubing and metal piping:
View attachment 342978
Initially, I did have an issue with the washer provided for the top banjo. It was leaking even though it was torqued to spec:
View attachment 342979
HOWEVER, Radium was very responsive, and they ended up sending me the (then) new design for their nylon washers that I assume they are using now. Hasn't leaked since.

Any tips on what syringe, hose and pipe you use?

I would be going the same route than the drain tubes.

Still mulling over if I'm going to get the catch can for the crankcase side.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Mine has always looked like that, will have to contact radium and see if they can send me the updated washers

Was there anything special you had to do, have had my cans not long after I got the car, so mid to late 17 I'd have to say
View attachment 342978
View attachment 342979
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Mine has always looked like that, will have to contact radium and see if they can send me the updated washers

Was there anything special you had to do, have had my cans not long after I got the car, so mid to late 17 I'd have to say

I'm sure they can easily send you the nylon washers when you tell them your experience.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I wouldn't say anything "special" really. There were a couple emails exchanged. I initially sent them the pics like the one here of it leaking oil. They then asked for pictures of the mating surfaces of the banjo and washers to see if there were any visible imperfections. Ultimately, they sent me the nylon washers to try, which fixed the issue. Was pretty painless.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Registered
651 Posts
Any tips on what syringe, hose and pipe you use?

I would be going the same route than the drain tubes.

Still mulling over if I'm going to get the catch can for the crankcase side.
The syringe is just a 12cc BD Syringe and the tubing is just some rubber/vinyl tubing (I believe 1/8" diameter) that I got from work (I work for an environmental lab). The tubing fits snuggly over the nipple of the syringe. No need for a zip tie or anything. I bought something like this for the end pipe piece: Assorted Brass Soft Bendable Metal Tubes | Hobby Lobby | 151910. I just cut it in half. Just make sure it's long enough to stick a little bit out of the top of the oil dipstick hole. Don't want to cut it too short and have it get snagged when you go to pull it out of the hole.

Reactions: nicklulu

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
The syringe is just a 12cc BD Syringe and the tubing is just some rubber/vinyl tubing (I believe 1/8" diameter) that I got from work (I work for an environmental lab). The tubing fits snuggly over the nipple of the syringe. No need for a zip tie or anything. I bought something like this for the end pipe piece: Assorted Brass Soft Bendable Metal Tubes | Hobby Lobby | 151910. I just cut it in half. Just make sure it's long enough to stick a little bit out of the top of the oil dipstick hole. Don't want to cut it too short and have it get snagged when you go to pull it out of the hole.
That's what......... I read! 🤣🤣

Thank you for the info, looks cleaner not to have the drain hose and running it. Your "syringe drain system" would be most viable. 👍

Reactions: Si2RS

·
Premium Member
4,181 Posts
Ah, screw it. I just placed an order at Mountune USA for the crankcase catch can:

And then some.

Damn late night shopping.

Reactions: Hank

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black RS
19 Posts
@nicklulu , the crankcase side is fairly straightforward. Just make sure you deal with the 2 metal tubes running below the bracket. After assembled, I had a very annoying rattle coming from it... then I noticed when I tightened down the bracket, it had pressed down on 2 metal tubes. After unmounting the bracket, one of the tubes can be moved a bit (loosen its mount bolt on the fuel pump, push down on tube and tighten), the other one I had to bend the tube down a bit.

Also, that middle bolt is a pain. I found just keeping the nut pressed with my finger worked better than their suggested wrench + electrical tape. I did still have to run to the hardware store and pick up a bunch of spare nuts, after the first one fell and got lost in the void.

401 - 420 of 441 Posts